‘Friendly’ EMP improves survival for electronics

Status
Not open for further replies.

ladn

Explorer of the Frequency Spectrum
Premium Subscriber
Southern California and sometimes Owens Valley
I came across this article from Sandia Labs while doing some non-related research. Since some previous posts touched on EMP, I thought this would be worth sharing. It's a quick, easy read, too, which isn't the norm from the majority of Sandia papers.

https://www.sandia.gov/news/publications/labnews/articles/2018/07-12/EMES.html

The ElectroMagnetic Environment Simulator, or EMES, consists of a hippopotamus-sized Marx generator that sits alone in a small laboratory. The large capacitor bank stores electrical energy and releases it upon command. The resulting blast of energy, in the form of an electromagnetic pulse, can be focused on a target every 15 minutes. Absorbers at the far end of the test chamber gobble up the energy not absorbed by the object being tested.

...“An EMP pulse generated by an adversary would be an attempt to disrupt our communications or other equipment,” said Leonard Martinez, the Sandia researcher in charge of the timing and firing control system. “Recent advancements now enable us to provide that pulse within a microsecond of the unit’s timing requirement.”

The idea is to explore the effects of the energy pulse by testing an item at critical moments during its processes. Learning when and where a problem may occur in the unit permits engineers to design better EMP shielding to prevent such upsets.

Sandia’s EMES testing process involves trundling components into the target area, subjecting them to the rapidly peaking EMP and then removing them to make way for the next item to test. Preliminary results are provided immediately, Leonard said, and a longer report with more extensive analysis is issued later...

Earlier versions of the pulse-producing machine operated from 1978 to 1994. The test facility lay fallow until after the 9/11 attacks, when it was resurrected to test communications across the nation in the event an adversary could generate an EMP in or near the United States.

“‘Could we still communicate? Would our radios, televisions, microwave ovens and refrigerators work after such a pulse arrives,’ was the question,” Leonard said...

ipfd320

Banned
the funny thing is these types of articles are what gets people making these or aquiring the methods of the subject to maybe possibly use against us---sometimes its a good idea to keep things like this hush from the public---jmho

RFI-EMI-GUY

God forbid my beer refrigerator suffer a compressor failure when they drop the big one. I will be careful and buy the cheap one without the electronic doodads,

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

RFI-EMI-GUY

the funny thing is these types of articles are what gets people making these or aquiring the methods of the subject to maybe possibly use against us---sometimes its a good idea to keep things like this hush from the public---jmho
You don't have to be a genius to drop the monkey wrench into the system. Picture a remote telecomm facility with all that EMP protection. Look around, do you see a service outlet or light fixture outside? Hmm what could one do with that?

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Picture a remote telecomm facility with all that EMP protection. Look around, do you see a service outlet or light fixture outside? Hmm what could one do with that?
Or a rooftop-mounted air conditioning system. Lots of exposure to physical damage and once the fancy telecom electronics inside overheat, they will be very unreliable.

This really isn't an amateur radio thread, so I've moved it.

The short answer is, "Who knows?"

There are a whole bunch of attack vectors to worry about in a connected environment, and the continuum of EMP effects is only a part of them. Tactically, NEMP will "take out" various equipment and impair command and control mechanisms, as well as bring commerce to a halt. Some actors might want that, but in general, that's bad for the calculating adversary. If something like that ever does happen, the worry isn't the NEMP, it's what comes next amidst the chaos.

I tell various groups that there's a continuum of effects from EM events. They include Single Event Effects (SEE) like upsets in processing, latching, gate rupture, and the like, depending on the device, physical characteristics, and hardening. I don't think anything will be like the scenario from the Jericho TV show from about 10 years ago.

The more likely things we'd see as we head more toward a connected world are state sponsored cracking with the intent of espionage, sabotage, or menacing reminders of "we can do this..." (or all of the above); cyber attacks; and other more surgical events (including taking over remote robotic surgery... pun intended). Just today I received a commercial email about a blog post cautioning 5G is susceptible to DDoS attack. Fair warning, it's from a company that does DDoS cyber security, so they're going to wave that flag anyway, but it's a decent reminder that the more involved technology gets, the more attack vectors are possible. Hey - it's those "interesting times" we've been hearing about.

No endorsement of company, product, or veracity of content, just FYSA:
https://www.corero.com/blog/905-5g-will-increase-ddos-attack-risk.html

I suppose the answer to all this will include incorporating all the tweaks that are economically feasible to achieve a gridwork of protection.

RFI-EMI-GUY

The world is getting so increasingly dependent on the internet that it seems to become unsustainable at some point.

The reality is that it has become a battle ground for state actors. Our govt is doing it. It is a new cold war. You don't need to send a NEMP when a few lines of malicious code will do same thing and can be used as blackmail.

I guess I am not the only one getting 5G hype pushed at me daily. The carriers must be seeking funding for this new tech. Me? I am waiting for 10 G it will be so much more shiny and better!

flythunderbird

Feed Provider
The world is getting so increasingly dependent on the internet that it seems to become unsustainable at some point.

I agree wholeheartedly. When everyday things such as refrigerators, furnaces, water heaters, and even water softeners are available with Internet connectivity, you know it's getting ridiculous. These IoT devices also have very poor security measures built into them; they can be hacked relatively easily.

The other day, I saw an automated cat litter box with WiFi connectivity and a phone app. The app lets you check the status of the box and initiate a cleaning cycle from anywhere. :roll: I just shook my head ...

RFI-EMI-GUY

I agree wholeheartedly. When everyday things such as refrigerators, furnaces, water heaters, and even water softeners are available with Internet connectivity, you know it's getting ridiculous. These IoT devices also have very poor security measures built into them; they can be hacked relatively easily.

The other day, I saw an automated cat litter box with WiFi connectivity and a phone app. The app lets you check the status of the box and initiate a cleaning cycle from anywhere. :roll: I just shook my head ...
Most of this junk requires subscribing to a cloud service for basic functionality. I bought an HP wireless printer with fax that was an excellent product until HP decided to arbitrarily cancel the cloud services that made it work. It was theivery.

Some how the term's "Friendly" and "EMP" just don't go together very well, do they ?
Neat article Ladn, all the same (and I did get all the intentions of its author, sarcasm aside.)
"Friendly EMP's" reminded me instantly of another "kinder" device- the enhanced radiation weapons; The "Neutron Bombs." We haven't heard much about them lately- a nuclear fusion device that has a minmal fisson products production (less nasty 'fallout' as opposed to the conventional 'gadgets.')

It kills you by an extremely dense neutrons flux, the likes of which will turn you into a bowl of custard, or fry a incoming warhead in close proximity... all that cheery stuff.
I attended a conference on such 'devices' years ago, and came away with this sticking in my head "Destroys the Personnel, Not (most of) the Property."
Bye the bye, my grandfather was an Air Force Special Weapons officer who was stationed at Sandia for awhile. I grew up around this stuff as a young kid, listening to the tales he (could) tell about it....the majority of them he couldn't. Years later Sandia became a sister lab to me- and the mysteries of what he did all were all unfold'd to me.
Today I enjoy driving down to Kirkland AFB to see what niffty projects they are up to. That EMP one is something that doesn't surprise me at all- to come out of their genius for all things that go 'Boom." :)
Thanks for sharing it Ladn :)
Lauri :)

Last edited by a moderator:

RFI-EMI-GUY

There is a theoretical EMP bomb called the VIRCATOR that is supposed to convert explosive energy to RF EMP. The practicality of all this seems far fetched. (Edit for Lauri another High Tech spark gap)

More on the inner workings of the Sandi test facility.

https://www.sandia.gov/research/res...tics/facilities/large_transverse_em_cell.html

If I worked there I would be inspired to get all kinds of consumer electronics to see how big a pulse they could endure. I might start with BaoFeng walkie talkies!

Joking aside, If I ever have the time, I would like to get a UHF TEM cell and create a "noise power ratio measurement" test to compare the dynamic range performance between the various bubble pack and commercial grade UHF radios. But, the problem is in creating the undesired wide band noise bandwidth and notching a single channel out to insert the "desired" signal. It occurred to me that I am overthinking the problem and could use a comb generator to create 25 KHz spaced spikes across the 440-470 MHz band and then test the radio's (desired) SINAD on a 12.5 KHz channel center.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.