Cleveland Air Show Frequencies?

Status
Not open for further replies.

subclavius

Does anyone have the frequencies for the 2008 show this weekend? There was a handful on the Ohio MilCom blog from Dayton and the RR frequencies for Burke airport, but is there a complete listing like what was published by a scanner enthusiast magazine last year?

subclavius

Thanks fpo701!!!! I had all the freqs loaded for the show last year and it made for one heck of a day.

fpo701

OH DB Admin
Database Admin
don't forget the have Burke's tower on most of the show. They do all the coordination off there. You will occassionally here what freq a specific performer will be on.

Let me know what you find. I don't think I'll be going until Monday.

gd9704

I'm sitting at East 185th Street on Cleveland's east side and hearing some weak transmissions on the 284.2500 frequency right now. How do these pilots sound so calm when they're doing these maneuvers??? Fun monitoring!

mcpsych

Hopkins Military freq were active yesterday with some mil jets landing there (heard the squadron of F-15's for sure- call sign Eagle 1). I had my Icom R5 in my office in Mayfield and heard the jets loud and clear.

273.45 and 354.025

mcpsych

These are the airshow frequencies in use as of 1PM:

FREQ COUNT NAME
123.5 18 Golden Knights 3
126.4 143 Air Boss 3
123.15 84 Misc
122.775 8 Golden Knights 4
157.05 29 Burke
273.45 5 Hopkins Mil 2
384.55 12 F-15/16/18
123.475 51 Golden Knights 1
123.45 60 Golden Knights 2
121.9 40 Burke Gnd

Nasby

These are the freqs used by the Blue Angels today:

284.250 am
237.800 am
275.350 am

fpo701

OH DB Admin
Database Admin
Thanks for the advanced notice on freqs. Anything else show up?

Funny thing. I googled "384.55 Burke" and this thread shows up already. Google bots must watch forums more closely.

mcpsych

Here's the rest of the frequency log from the airshow from 1PM and on:

FREQ COUNT NAME
124.3 190 Burke
121.9 19 Burke Gnd
123.45 113 Golden Knights 2
123.475 109 Golden Knights 1
126.4 139 Air Boss 3
123.5 24 Golden Knights 3
284.25 104 BA Show
237.8 63 BA Solo
275.35 48 BA Diamond
305.5 5 Fat Al ch1
123.15 96 Misc
273.45 11 Hopkins Mil 2
376.025 18 F-15/18
122.775 8 Golden Knights 4

subclavius

I took my Uniden 396 and Icom IC-R2. I left the R2 on the control tower at 124.6. It's a great way to hear who's coming up next if you don't have a copy of the schedule or are walking around the displays. You also get a top-level view insight on developing events, but not as detailed as you would hear if monitoring a specific crew. Things like if a plane is not going to take another pass or do a specific stunt because it's running low on gas. At one point they had to coordinate an incoming life flight carrying an organ and carve out a flight path and get it on land inbetween the other planes taking off and performing. The most interesting development was during the Blue Angels set, the controller broadcast a quick message saying there was a plane entering restricted airspace and they had trouble getting it to answer on the radio. He specifically said "Nobody's talking to it". They must have solved the problem real quick because I didn't hear about it again.

The frequencies posted for the Blue Angels and the barnstorming/stunt pilots are accurate. It's amazing how quiet the Blue Angels are doing their manuvers. I thought they'd be counting off the marks and calling out position but instead it's mainly just the lead wingman singing "A little more pull" "A little more power" and when to turn the smoke on & off. I guess they practice so much they just have it down pat. The barnstorming and stunt pilots were probably the most fun to listen to, especially if it's a team of them. They literally don't stop talking, even during some of the really tricky stunts.

I didn't pick up anything of interest with the Close Call feature or GMRS, just some traffic related to the food vendors.

And one more thing, BRING EAR PROTECTION! Some of the jets are incredibly loud, and having skinny little earpieces in each ear wasn't enough for me. You'll want the earpiece because it'll be impossible to hear the scanner without it most of the time, but it isn't enough to keep the roar of the jets down to a safe level.

Last edited:

scnrfrq

Premium Subscriber
Just one comment - the control tower at Burke is 124.3. The Show Boss every year is on 126.4. This is not the tower, but is the person in charge of all the acts and in control of the airport during the show. He operates from a temporary location at show center. I don't think 124.6 is an active frequency for the show. I was at the show yesterday and it was just fabulous! Very well-organized and everything was first class.

eorange

♦Insane Asylum Premium Member♦
Two items:

1. Did anyone hear the emergency beacon on Saturday, sometime around 3:00pm or so? It was blaring on 121.5 and 243.0 for a while - I locked it out eventually. Someone probably tripped an ELT by accident...?

2. Did anyone catch the organ (as in human) delivery on Saturday afternoon? I caught airboss making room for something like the "lifeflight delivery", which didn't sound like the normal clearance for lifeflight. A minute later, an ordinary Citation jet landed and taxied to where the Blue Angels were parked. The name on the jet was, I think, "mednet". A crew got off with a silver container on wheels, which sure looked like a medical-type cooler, and loaded it onto a waiting Cleveland Clinic Police SUV (big and black with all lights on), and the SUV took off.

I forget which act was active at the time.

fpo701

OH DB Admin
Database Admin
In case anyone is going Monday, I was able to pick up a few other freqs in addition to the lists above:

346.5 (listed as Ground Start on Monitoring Times)
139.815 Ground Bravo
142.6125 Ground Alpha

JimGerman

Hello.

Does anyone have audio files of any of the Blue's performances this year? I would like to incorporate show audio into a slide show for our family's annual photo compilation DVD that I make each year.

Thanks,
Jim

subclavius

eorange, I caught the organ delivery and watched it come in like you did. All they said on the radio was that it was an organ needed at the Cleveland Clinic. No details.

jimGerman, I set ARC396 to autorecord the BA section of Sunday's show. It's got about 50 brief clips of the performance comms, but I was really shocked at how poor the quality was considering I only live a few blocks away from Burke and have a decent omni antenna on a small tower. There's a lot of static and the voice volume is a little weak. This was odd because I was using a Diamond RH77CA when at the show, and it's fairly dead on the air band, but the BA comms were crystal clear when I was there on foot. I can zip them up and post them, but to be honest, I wouldn't consider it good enough for a slide show, even if it's just family.

Status
Not open for further replies.