newbie wanting scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

scarrygary2

HI, I live in Geneva, Ohio and have had an old uniden 10 channel scanner for many many years now. I am thinking about a uniden bearcat BC340CRS for Christmas and wanted to know if this was a good choice? I realize the digital change is coming and not sure of what is going to happen in my little town. Sure would like to have info from someone with knowledge of this area. Thankyou, Gary

Dubbin

Feed Provider
It should work just fine for everything but MARCS (digital). I would however look for something with alfa tags and a bit more memory.

T-Santon

The future of scanning in Ashtabula County is still somewhat unknown.

The County Sheriff's Department will be moving to MARCS soon, that's a fact (which means you'll need a digital scanner in order to listen). However, the towns of Geneva on the Lake, Andover, Orwell, and Jefferson are all in question. According to the Star-Beacon, they also need to upgrade to MARCS, or the County S.O. will stop providing them radio service at the end of the year.

http://www.starbeacon.com/archivesearch/local_story_283220756.html

I'll be interested to see what happens, since most of these towns can't really afford to make an upgrade.

So bottom line: If all you plan on monitoring is Geneva, then you should be fine with just about any scanner (same goes for Ashtabula City). I don't think either town has any plans for upgrading their radio system anytime soon.

But if you would also like to monitor Ohio's MARCS System (which also includes OSP), Lake County, and (soon to be) Geauga County, you'll need a digital trunking scanner.

Also keep in mind that Lake and Geauga Co's both simulcast, meaning that you'll hear Wickliffe PD just as clear as you'll hear Madison PD's (which I think is a big plus).

So, living in Geneva, I would strongly recommend a digital trunking scanner. You can listen to SO MUCH more than just the Geneva PD.

Last edited:

eorange

♦Insane Asylum Premium Member♦
...and (soon to be) Geauga County, you'll need a digital trunking scanner.
I haven't heard news on this. Any idea on timing, i.e. before the end of the year? I have a PSR-500, but it's nice listening to Geauga when I just have my BR330.

Nasby

Start saving for a digital scanner. I visit Ashtabula County very often. While there is plenty to hear on analog (non-digital), a digital scanner makes for much more interesting scanning. The Ashtabula Sheriff accounts for much of the radio traffic in that desolate county. If they are switching to the MARCS digital system, you'll be missing a ton of action. The PRO-96 is a good choice for a digital scanner. It's on closeout at Radio Shack for $369.00. They can also be found on Ebay for much less.

T-Santon

I wouldn't expect Geauga County to go digital by year's end. I was told a few months ago that they were still in the process of adding 2 new tower sites to help with the coverage gaps.

But their goal is to become digital by the time rebanding occurs in Ohio.

hoser147

If you can afford it Digital would be the way to go, there already is quite abit of traffic, compared to when the MARCs system first came on, you wont be disappointed. Good Luck Hoser

scarrygary2

Thankyou, I am really glad that I found this site. I will do as advised and wait till I can go digital. The scanner that I have now is from 1982 and is still working! Uniden builds a great radio. Gary

Status
Not open for further replies.