Newbie in Columbus, OH needs scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

mickm

Hey there,

I'm in Columbus, OH and need a scanner to monitor traffic accidents for freelance photography.

I guess that means I need to monitor the Columbus Police and Fire depts. I have no idea what kind of scanner I need. I would like to spend as little as possible as I'm just starting out. A good used scanner would be great.

Do I need trunking? I understand that let's me lock on to a conversation so I would probably need that. Do I need digital? I hope not as those are expensive.

Any ideas?

SCPD

QRT
You could start out with the pro-97, but you will better coverage from the pro-96. I have been scanning here in columbus since 1985 and you will enjoy it. You can reach at wholaguns@yahoo.com Oh and yes you need trunking.

hoser147

Take a look around, Radio Shack just had some great deals on digital scanners, if your going to make the investment and it has to do with your work or hobby, make the investment in a digital. You can find a good used one or even a new one with the right sale on for 300 bucks or less. Another benefit would be the fact that you can get OSP traffic in the Columbus area also with the digital, plus Police and Fire. Good Luck Hoser

ajpritch

Also you will need Digital for all of Deleware County Public Saftey and sometime next year the City of Dublin, Washinton Township Fire, Share Township, Perry Township and the City of Worthington will all be Project 25 and require a digital scanner as well.

mickm

Those are great suggestions. I'll look into the digital scanners mentioned. Better to go with the future of scanning then the old technology. It will be a better investment.

K8TEK

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Those are great suggestions. I'll look into the digital scanners mentioned. Better to go with the future of scanning then the old technology. It will be a better investment.
Only one digital scanner was mentioned, and I would quite frankly wait for something else. The PRO96 is old and is garbage compared to the stuff being made now. Wait for Uniden's new handheld if you are going to get a digital scanner.

Status
Not open for further replies.