Basement Fire - My house

Status
Not open for further replies.

andyishere

My basement furnece had caught fire today 10-23-08. It shot flames out of the front causing the wall to catch fire. I was ran down after I heard a clunking sound, to see flames shooting out. First this I did was grab the FE and put out the on the wall becuase it was close to chemicals[ Cleaners .] Then runing and leting the animals out while on the phone with dispatch , it took them 5 mins to respond. Wich I belive is well considering I was on the phone for 6 mins. I am glad everything ended is a postitive way.

hoser147

Sounds like you did well and caught it early. Take pictures and contact your insurance company. Every home should have smoke detectors and an extinguisher. Just a little tip if you have an extinguisher and don't have it serviced yearly, make sure the nozzle is clear (great place for spiders to live) and turn dry chemicals upside down and tap it with a rubber mallet to fluff the dry chem powder. It only takes a minute to assure that it will work when needed. Also if your going to buy a new one be sure to get one with a metal head on it, they last longer and wont leak off as easily as the plastic headed ones. A few more bucks but well spent. Good Job Stay Safe Hoser

andyishere

Well the insurance will not cover it. The fernace was not operating properly and I just had it checked. I can afford the damage with the help of my uncle. I am geting a new FE. The smoke detector is annoying though, its yells - FIRE - or - CARBON DIXOCIDE - Annoying!!!

My uncle is a FigherFighter and was off duty and heard it on radio and responded. Also none of my scaning EQ was damaged, thank god. It is locked in a Secure room with two handhelds and 3 desktops and two CB radios. :)

Last edited:

Navycop

I am sorry you had to go through that. I was in a simaler situation. Working security at the Naval Base our FD does mutual aid with VABCH FD. Our dispatchers run both calls. So when the call came in for a working fire at XXXX my street. The watch commander called me on the radio and said "Do you live at XXXX? I think your house is on fire". I turned my weapon in and drove to my house. There were about 3 fire trucks and I couldn't get down my dead end street. It turns out my 10yr old son (he was 3 at the time). Started some boxes I had in a closet on fire with a fireplace lighter thingy. Only damage was to one room and Servipro cleaned up all the mess.

Status
Not open for further replies.