Snow in Ohio

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
It appears as though nobody in Ohio was prepared for winter this year. We've had just a little bit of snowfall, yet I70 was shut down at the Belmont/Guernsey line for a while last night due to 12 accidents. And my brother just came to visit from Columbus and said that yesterday/last night they had to shut down various places in the I270 corridor because of 50 or more accidents.

What are people thinking? It doesn't take a rocket scientist to drive in inclement weather. This should just be the tip of the iceberg. Wait til we actually get a blizzard.

Mike

Last edited:

hoser147

Hopefully not this year Mike. Listened to about 5 hours last nite of slide off's and accidents. Although the accidents were constant it seemed like the snow sleet was scattered it would be one or two counties then other ones later. The 2 worse calls I heard were a car over a side of an overpass and another in a pond. Most just need to slow down. I was watching the noon news and with the price of salt its going to be a slim year for good roadways. Preble Co stated on channel 7 news the same roadway it cost 4100 bucks to clean and treat last year, is estimated at 14 grand this year. I noticed when I went into town last nite that they only salted the primary intersections. Be Safe Hoser

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
A local city street department has already announced, after one night of salting, that their salt storage is severely depleted. They said it won't take too many saltings before they have to resort to "slag only." I know the shortage of salt is serious. Oh well, sounds like everything is going to be blackened with cinders before too long.

mike

SLWilson

It seems like....

It seems like every year when we have a little skiff of snow, people forget how to drive, go too fast and wreck.

In SE ohio on US35 in Gallia County yesterday afternoon we had a short snow squaw. Very shortly after that, we had at least five cars or trucks over off of the highway and into the median....

In Jackson county, they had one roll over at the SR93 exit.....

In Ross County, they had one ski across the median and go head-on into the westbound traffic....

If it is slick for a few days at a time. people figure it out & do slow down. But, let it melt, snow again and we're back to wrecking until they figure it out a second time!!!!!

Steve/KB8FAR :confused:

radioscan

Radio Sensei
Database Admin
I'm not sure how true this holds for the rest of Ohio, but here in the
southern part of the state it takes the fourth or fifth snowfall/sleet/ice
until drivers learn its not the same as driving on dry pavement.

Other than a few flurries on Monday we haven't gotten the slick
stuff that was received further north.

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Ahh, remember the 70s and early 80s when winter left no doubt in anybody's mind. Snow was often, heavy, and often remained for weeks or more at a time... I remember those days and huge ass snow drifts all over the place. I think the people who were around then either moved to Florida, are dead, or do not drive much anymore. People in their 20s/30s likely never drove in much "severe" weather in Ohio.

mike

KC4RAF

Davenport,Fl.- home to me and the gators and the s
All I can say Mike is,

I use to love driving in that white stuff. Back in the days of the 60s and early 70s. Born and raise up there in Marion, so I got to know about those bad road conditions! But now I'm down here in sunny Florida (as you mentioned) and glad that you all got the white stuff up THERE! Take care and be safe on those roads.

jeffy

driving in snow...

I drove for the county for years and saw many accidents... most of them were in the ditch but some were not so lucky. I will never get over how folks will simply put the "hammer down" and drive. Why take the chance of hurting yourself or others? Why tear your vehicle up? So many of the snow accidents are preventable by simply slowing down. Ain't gonna happen.... Anyways, I'm retired now and don't have to plow or cinder the roads anymore. I spend snow storms listening to my old buddies on the road.

jeff ... Ohio

Status
Not open for further replies.