Washington county marcs sites

Status
Not open for further replies.

monk8500

How much can I expect to hear radio traffic wise from one site (422 Newport)? I have recieved very little Post 84 traffic. This is a 3-4 bar recieve site for me as I am within air mile of the tower. I checking to see what I should be able to hear from this site so I can determine if I have the right parameters programmed. Programmed and used scanners for over thirty years but this one a curve ball right between the eyes. Working with a 996t here.
Monk8500

Last edited:

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
How much can I expect to hear radio traffic wise from one site (422 Newport)? I have recieved very little Post 84 traffic. This is a 3-4 bar recieve site for me as I am within air mile of the tower. I checking to see what I should be able to hear from this site so I can determine if I have the right parameters programmed. Programmed and used scanners for over thirty years but this one a curve ball right between the eyes. Working with a 996t here.
Monk8500

Listening to a single site on Ohio MARCS typically will not provide adequate coverage for OSP, especially in rural areas where OSP units are likely to be spread out pretty far and affiliated with different towers.

If I read what you said correctly, you are within 1 air mile of the Newport site? If so, I would expect more than 3-4 bars of signal. If you are using the stock scanner antenna, the first thing I would do is invest in a Radio Shack 800 Mhz antenna. they are fairly cheap and outperform any stock scanner antenna on 800 Mhz.

I would recommend that you monitor all of the following sites:
* 427 MARIETTA
* 422 NEWPORT
* 426 GLASS
* 425 LOWER SALEM

Obviously, if some are too far away to hear their CCs, then you can't monitor them - but with 2 control channels programmed in per site it's not much of a pain to program in all four.

Since you live in a rural area (like I do) and thus usually would hear less traffic on MARCS to begin with, I would turn on ID SEARCH. This would allow you to hear any activity on any talkgroup that is active on the towers you are monitoring. If you run in ID SCAN mode you would need to program in every talkgroup you want to hear. Of course, that is your choice. And if I were you I would turn on ICALL for the system. That way, if there are any radio-to-radio "private" comms happening in your area, you would hear them too.

There is some good news though. Since OSP has moved to the consolidated dispatching, you may hear OSP traffic from Washington and surrounding counties as long as you program in the appropriate talkgroups.

With the consolidated dispatching, Marietta is dispatched out of Post 7 St. Clairsville. So are Steubenville and St. Clairsville. So, you would want to program in the POST7, POST41 and POST84 talkgroups. Why? Because sometimes you'll hear Marietta traffic on POST84 and sometimes you will hear them on POST41 and sometimes on POST7. The same goes for me up in Jefferson Co - I am hearing our local Post 41 units tlaking to dispatch on POST84 right at this moment, apparently because they are all being dispatched out of the same place and that is the chosen dispatch talkgroup for the evening?

So:
1. Make sure you can receive everything you can
- if you are using a stock antenna, get an RS 800 Mhz antenna - you won't be sorry
2. Make sure you turn on ICALL if you want to hear any private comms
3. Turn on ID SEARCH if you want to hear any MARCS traffic from the local towers (not just OSP)
4. If you elect not to turn on ID SEARCH, make sure you program in POST84, POST41, and POST7 talkgroups as well as P84TAC talkgroup to ensure that you are going to hear the activity of the OSP units in your area.

Keep in mind that in order for you to hear any OSP traffic, at least one mobile must be associated with a tower you are monitoring and affiliated with a talkgroup that you have programmed in your scanner.

Mike

PS: I'm up in Jefferson Co and have heard quite a bit of POST84 traffic on our towers up here - you should be hearing them down there. One reason you may not is if there are no OSP units affiliated with the Newport tower.

monk8500

Wash co marcs

Thanks, your last statement answered the main question I had. I have the other 3 sites entered.
Salem gives me an average of 2-3 bars with current outside antenna a radio shack discone 20 feet above ground. I will work on antenna improvements and report back the results. The other 2 sites are weak but I doubt strong enough signal to provide good results.
Thanks
Monk8500

Mylan

Feed Provider
PS: I'm up in Jefferson Co and have heard quite a bit of POST84 traffic on our towers up here - you should be hearing them down there. One reason you may not is if there are no OSP units affiliated with the Newport tower.

and thats the problem .... very rarely is there a post 84 unit hitting the newport tower and monk, like he said, its best to program in all the sites because sometimes they will come in very good and sometimes you wont be able to get a lock on the signal at all....

The bottom line is to try and get your radio to pick up marietta cuz thats where most of the OSHP84 traffic is gonna be........ Where abouts are you, high elevation or riverfront? can you get a decent signal from marietta tower? .....

another big problem is that the 996 is so confusing that it is difficult to learn the features but the good thing is that it affords the option of programming every tower within 60 miles of you

Let us know how it works out 4 ya

Edit: I pick up the Fairview tower here with one bar and I always get a lock on the signal

Last edited:

Mylan

Feed Provider
I am hearing our local Post 41 units talking to dispatch on POST84 right at this moment, apparently because they are all being dispatched out of the same place and that is the chosen dispatch talkgroup for the evening?
So Mike...
based on a couple things I heard recently, I think I figured out how and why ( i know you know most of this already but for anybody who doesn't I'll lay it all down)....

In regards to the OSHP District Seven East (which includes the Counties of Belmont, Harrison, Jefferson, Monroe, Morgan, and Washington)

USUALLY they will only have two dispatchers on duty at any one time. These two dispatchers have to provide dispatching services for three posts meaning one dispatcher has to handle dispatching services for two posts during their shift and for the ease of that dispatcher, they will usually patch those two posts' talkgroups together thus all radio traffic from both posts uses a single talkgroup from one of the posts while the TG from the other post remains silent... (meanwhile the third post has it's own dispatcher and uses its own TG)

***NOW...... since no dispatcher ever seems to use the same console, the talkgroup that is currently in use depends on which of the three consoles the dispatcher is using during that particular shift...

Right now post 41 and post 84 are patched together at the post 84 console so that is most likely why their traffic is on the 84TG***

I do have to admit that, for me, this consolidation method is nice because now I am always able to hear what is going on with the patrol in all six counties, but at the same time, it must really suck for the dispatchers because they now have to drive to St. Clairsville to do their job (or be out of one) and besides that, we now have dispatchers from Steubenville and St.C fielding calls from areas around Marietta and McConnelsville... areas in which they are completely unfamiliar and vice versa. This means the dispatcher can be of no help to a caller if need be.

Bucko

Actually the Glass tower and Newport tower has the least amount of traffic for post 84 compared to the Marietta tower, Beebe tower and the Lower Salem tower. Set up your system like mtindor said and you should have no problem monitoring post 84 providing you have the signal.

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
I do have to admit that, for me, this consolidation method is nice because now I am always able to hear what is going on with the patrol in all six counties, but at the same time, it must really suck for the dispatchers because they now have to drive to St. Clairsville to do their job (or be out of one) and besides that, we now have dispatchers from Steubenville and St.C fielding calls from areas around Marietta and McConnelsville... areas in which they are completely unfamiliar and vice versa. This means the dispatcher can be of no help to a caller if need be.

Thanks for the summarization of how that's working. Even though I knew enough, that is more clearer.

Yes, the consolidation is great for me. I don't care if I hear Marietta or St. C - doesn't bother me in the least. Now there is enough traffic to justify monitoring. Before it was a tossup.

Yeah it's ashame about the dispatchers, but they'll get over it :) It's not difficult to tell when you're hearing a dispatcher unfamiliar with the area. I heard a dispatcher the other day tell a trooper that a person is waiting for them at Bridgeport Rental, a car rental place. Actually, Bridgeport Rental rents out tools and equipment, not cars heh. The STC dispatcher would have know that. But overall they do a pretty good job. Whether the dispatcher knows who is who and what is where, them damned troopers seem to know every nook and cranny even if they aren't a "local" trooper. They do a great job.

Mike

monk8500

Wash co marcs

Mylan, that is my plan to access the Marietta site with antenna improvements. I sent Mtindor a PM explaining what I had done today regarding area sites. I should have put it in the thread. Marietta site signal is present but weak. I used my Icom8500/RS discone/50ft RG58 to test signal strength of available local sites. Newport, Salem, Glass, and Marietta is the order of best to worse.
I know Rg58 got to go. I plan on installing a second RS discone I acquired at an auction recently on a shorter run of coax to eliminate the obivious cable loss. Also entertaining the possibility a directional antenna. Any input from all about three to four directional antennas pointed at all local sites?
Mylan to answer your question about my location. West of Newport/ St Marys bridge in Newport on the riverfront.
Nothing like a challenge to make the hobby more rewarding.
Thanks,
Monk

monk8500

Wash co marcs

Bucko, I just could not get any hint of signal from the Beebe site with present setup. I was surprised that is a monster tower!
I can receive the fire/ems traffic from that site on 453.825.
Thanks,
Monk

Mylan

Feed Provider
so Bucko, have you noticed much difference in monitoring since all the 84 dispatching moved up here?

and monk...plain and simple... move... that's all you gotta do; just move.......... (thats what I finally ended up having to do and now I can even pick up city of Pittsburgh from Clarington.)

SERIOUSLY THOUGH

as for the "underload" from the marcs towers.... If I needed to hear something, I would try a directional but the hills can really do a number to an 800 signal. sometimes even being 10 or 15 miles away from a tower can make reception impossible but since you're getting any signal at all with your present rig that is a very good sign that you'll have success.....
when I'm on a reception mission, I take one radio and dedicate it to what I am trying to accomplish and leave the others scan normally. That way I don't miss anything while I'm Psssn around with trying to pick up a decent decodable signal.......... The the overloaded radio station signal is not in the same direction as the Marietta marcs tower is it?

monk8500

Wash co marcs

Mylan, answer to your question about overload and intermod is it is almost exactly the opposite direction.
This could present a problem with a directional antenna as it will be on the backside. Backside rejection of antenna will have to be good. Another challenge possibly but wont know till I try.
Thanks,
Monk

Bucko

Mylan
Yes I have noticed a difference, the dispatchers not from area don't have a clue where things are down this way. But listening to OSP is a big thing for me anyway.
Monk
Being you are in the valley in Newport it is going to be a challenge to pull 800mz toward the west direction for you but as you mentioned that RG58 is going to kill those upper freqs.

monk8500

Wash co marcs

Update on trying to monitor marcs in Newport. Using RS discone, a 20 ft length of coax (mini 8) I had laying around, 3 sections of mast pipe at about 15 ft high, with about a foot poked in the ground for temporary support has given me hope that The Marietta can be accessed. Newport went to five bars, L Salem bouncing at 0 to 2 bars, Marietta, Glass, and Beebe at levels that are just shy of 1 bar with 0 showing. A OSP unit was working Rt 7 north of Marietta allowing some traffic to be heard I guess through the affiliation process. Also had traffic originating from the Marietta site.
After a week or two of disappointment starting to see some results.
Will continue to experiment with components I have laying around then go buy the good stuff for final install. Same old song for this one achieve the perfect combination antenna height vs coax loss. Have monitored for years at 470 Mhz and down but this is my first big adventure in the 800 Mhz arena.
Radio is a hobby and to keep it enjoyable sometimes you just have say I cant monitor that enity and find the ones you can.
Thanks for all info on this matter and the dog is not done hunting yet!
Monk

Bucko

It sounds like you are on the right track for a signal. I know your area is rough for anything from the Marietta (west) direction. At my location I have it made for I live on a hilltop and hear more MARCS sites than I need ( using an old CM 5094A and ST2). I have not used a discone for several years so I have no idea how good they are on 800mz but what I have read here they do well. You may look into a yagi to point this way, but I think you said you may have a issue with over load. Hope you get the signal you are looking for I am sure with the right coax and height you get there.

Mylan

Feed Provider
yeah monk I am hoping for the best in your situation ............ Ever since the patrol moved to marcs, I have really grown to enjoy listening to 'em since I can now hear both sides of the conversation no matter where they are.... and if it were suddenly cut off, it would take a long while to get over....

monk8500

Just how much signal is required for control channel to be active? I can get the Marietta site(868.9375) with what I would call a decent level. Static is at a minimum, still no bars. Raised antenna another 10 feet with no increase in signal quality . Threshold of radio must be different for digital. To many years of good old analog reception pulling in a signal right off the edge of static.
Built a home brew yagi cut for 868 Mhz. At 15 ft it proved its directional attributes still no bars. Aggrevation setting in, close enough to smell it just cant get a hold of it.
Any other Marcs monitors in the Newport area?

Monk

Status
Not open for further replies.