Careflight updates on MARCS

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigJimbo

Premium Subscriber
Caught Careflight 2 (N164CF) using a MARCS talkgroup yesterday and today. Oddly enough, they were not using their primary TG. (38032) Both times, they have been on TG 37984. I scrolled up and down the MARCS database list and didnt see that TG listed. The radio ID for the Helicopter is 18261. Careflight Control (Dispatch) was answering with radio ID 33502. For those who listen to Careflight, the radio traffic heard on TG 37984 was identical to what they usually say when using their UHF Frequency.

Careflight 2 is based at the Lebanon/Warren County Airport. They have finally gotten a MARCS base installed in the crew quarters to acknowledge dispatches. The Warren County Base radio ID is 36578. It is heard on TG 38032.

I have not heard Careflight 1 or 3 on MARCS yet. 1 is out for maintenance or paint, but is supposed to be getting a MARCS radio. According to their radio person, 3 is NOT going to be getting one.

radioscan

Radio Sensei
Database Admin
I am hearing it as well. We will need to figure out what to call it,
before we put it in the database. Could this be Careflight South Base?

BigJimbo

Premium Subscriber
Good question, Mark. Why they all arent using 38032 is what I'm wondering. They have acknowledged page-outs from the Warren Co. Base on 38032, but I havent heard them do so for better than a week.

I will continue to montior and report anything I hear that may help us put a proper name on it. One of the Pilots said a few days ago that the radio in the cockpit wasn't defaulting to the new TG when they turn on the batteries to start up, so maybe some chatter in the next few days will enlighten us.

It is nice to hear everything now!!

radioscan

Radio Sensei
Database Admin
I was luck enough to catch them on 38000 and heard them actually
call the talkgroup CARE GROUND, before that we had it labeled as
MV MICU.

Maybe with some careful listening we can catch them referring to
this talkgroup.

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Also heard 37984 today - Was a Careflight chopper 'testing signal' while over the Ohio river heading to/from Pennsylvania. Heard on a east Ohio MARCS tower.

No reference to any convenient 'name' for the talkgroup or anything like that.

Mike

JB21386

Still didn't hear them reference the name of the TG, but I got some more Care Flight traffic on 37984 last night. It was Care Flight 2 talking to their Dispatch going over the details of their flight/call to Huber Heights.

Also, why would they not put a MARCS radio in all 3 helicopters? If this is what they are switching to for radio's, why have just one without a MARCS radio?

Last edited:

BigJimbo

Premium Subscriber
Careflight 1 now has a MARCS Radio

Careflight 1 is now on MARCS and has radio I.D. 34406. This, as well as CF2, are using TG 37984. They still seem to float between the MARCS TG and UHF. No rhyme or reason to it.

One flight recently I heard the Dispatcher ask the Pilot which he preferred to use. He said "Let's go with MARCS on this one." Certain flights I've heard them use MARCS exclusively, but call out final on UHF, even though no other Careflight birds were in the air at the time.

JB, to answer your question from some time ago..(I didnt see your post until today) The Radio Tech. for MVH said they are not going to install a MARCS radio in CF3 (N63CF) as it is headed for reserve status as soon as their newest aquistion is brought into service. They said it would take about 18 months to convert their newest asset from civilian to medical use. I do not know how far along they are in that process.

If they follow past trends, all the Helicopters will shift one number up. e.g. Newest is always 1, 1 becomes 2, etc.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
I was luck enough to catch them on 38000 and heard them actually
call the talkgroup CARE GROUND, before that we had it labeled as
MV MICU.

Maybe with some careful listening we can catch them referring to
this talkgroup.

Medflight has a talkgroup (10800, IIRC) right at the top of their list which is intended solely as a calling channel for agencies around the state to use for contacting Medflight while on scene or what have you.

Since 37984 appears to be right at the top of the Careflight talkgroups, could possibly be the same sort of thing for them....

Status
Not open for further replies.