Programming MARCS - dumb question...

Status
Not open for further replies.

PFalconflyer

When programming MARCS TSYS/TG objects into my Pro-106, I was wondering which is the best method and why...

Method #1 : Create a single TSYS object (perhaps called NE Ohio MARCS), which contains the frequencies for all NE Ohio MARCS "sites", and associate any relevant TG Id's with that single TSYS object.

or

Method #2 : Create seperate TSYS objects for each NE Ohio MARCS location (CSHER, CLJUS, etc...), and then add all relevant TG ID's to each of these TSYS objects...

I don't really care about identifying which MARCS tower I am listening to for any given transmission, so I am thinking method #1 might be easiest, as it would eliminate having to enter duplicate TG id's for each MARCS site.

I am just curious if method #1 will even work, and if it will work, what are the pros/cons for each method that I might not be considering.

Thanks! (Lovin' my Pro-106)

-Pat

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Pat,

The pros/cons of each have been discussed numerous times on the forums, at least a few times with regards to MARCS. You should do a search and read up on some material from the forums - I don't recall exactly where it was discussed.

Method #1 is best for the following reasons:

1. you don't care if you know what site is broadcasting
2. you will use significantly less of the available memory using one TSYS and one set of TGs

You'll want to enter in only the primary/secondary control channel for each system.

Method #2 is best if:

1. You want to know easily what site is broadcasting
2. You want to lock out a problematic site so that it doesn't get scanned

And if you go method #1, you'll then have to decide if you are going to do Multisite ROAM or Multisite STAT. What happens when you choose eiither of those has been discussed in the forums as well and I would ask that you search for "multisite MARCS" and see what you come up with.

If you travel and you just want it to "try" and stick with the closest site, then use Multisite ROAM.

If, like me, you basically want to scan all the sites that it can hear, then you'll want ot use Multisite STAT. And optionally you'll want to have it check all CCs during each pass (I don't do this).

Mike

When programming MARCS TSYS/TG objects into my Pro-106, I was wondering which is the best method and why...

Method #1 : Create a single TSYS object (perhaps called NE Ohio MARCS), which contains the frequencies for all NE Ohio MARCS "sites", and associate any relevant TG Id's with that single TSYS object.

or

Method #2 : Create seperate TSYS objects for each NE Ohio MARCS location (CSHER, CLJUS, etc...), and then add all relevant TG ID's to each of these TSYS objects...

I don't really care about identifying which MARCS tower I am listening to for any given transmission, so I am thinking method #1 might be easiest, as it would eliminate having to enter duplicate TG id's for each MARCS site.

I am just curious if method #1 will even work, and if it will work, what are the pros/cons for each method that I might not be considering.

Thanks! (Lovin' my Pro-106)

-Pat

Nasby

Method #1 is the one I use. I've tried both methods and prefer method one. It seems to scan faster and like you, I don't care what tower the traffic is coming from. Method #1 also saves memory space because you don't have to keep duplicating TG's. I would also suggest that you select the option of "Stationary" after programming the sytem frequencies and also select the option to "check all C/C's" or you will miss some traffic if you have multiple MARCS sites/frequencies programmed under one TSYS.

hoser147

You really don't have to continually duplicate tags as you can assign them to as many scan lists as you like. You may want to try some of the software packages that are out there and a premium membership, to experiment around and see how it works best for you. Good Luck

radioscan

Radio Sensei
Database Admin
Method #1 is best for the following reasons:

2. you will use significantly less of the available memory using one TSYS and one set of TGs

You'll want to enter in only the primary/secondary control channel for each system.

Mike

Mike nailed it right here. If you use Method #2 you will eat up a lot on memory, that really isn't necessary.

The Scan Lists give you a lot of flexibility, so you only have to program the system in as one TSYS object.

PFalconflyer

You really don't have to continually duplicate tags as you can assign them to as many scan lists as you like. You may want to try some of the software packages that are out there and a premium membership, to experiment around and see how it works best for you. Good Luck

I know that you can assign objects to multiple scanlists, but that really isn't the issue here. You cannot assign talkgroup id's to multiple TSYS objects without duplicating them in memory. I am using Win500 for programming, which seems to work quite well.

To everyone else that answered my question, thanks for the input! I will go with the single TSYS object method, as it requires less programming and less memory utilization. I need to experiment with the roaming options a bit to see which works best for my needs. I do most of my scanning in Cuyahoga county, so it isn't a huge concern at the moment.

Thanks again to all.

-Pat

Last edited:

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
Method #1 is the one I use. I've tried both methods and prefer method one. It seems to scan faster and like you, I don't care what tower the traffic is coming from. Method #1 also saves memory space because you don't have to keep duplicating TG's. I would also suggest that you select the option of "Stationary" after programming the sytem frequencies and also select the option to "check all C/C's" or you will miss some traffic if you have multiple MARCS sites/frequencies programmed under one TSYS.

Ditto.... unless you're roaming.

swstow

Premium Subscriber
kinda same question but different radio ( pro 96 )
i travel up I 75 a lot and my question is this i like to make two bank for mars
zone 1 ( central / w central )
zone 3 ( south s/w )

now the question, their are to many feq for the 96 to make a single bank for eather zone to fit ( zone 1 or 3 ) over 50 feq each
can i get away with only enter the control channel and not the alternate control channels or are both needed for this system,

thanks jim

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
kinda same question but different radio ( pro 96 )
i travel up I 75 a lot and my question is this i like to make two bank for mars
zone 1 ( central / w central )
zone 3 ( south s/w )

now the question, their are to many feq for the 96 to make a single bank for eather zone to fit ( zone 1 or 3 ) over 50 feq each
can i get away with only enter the control channel and not the alternate control channels or are both needed for this system,

thanks jim

Obviously you recognize the possibility that the secondary control channel could become the active CC at some point. But I think you're lucky - My experience over the past two years, specifically with monitoring nearly 14 MARCS sites on either a regular or semi-regular basis, is that the active CC has never changed. If it does, it's probably due to a failure somewhere. MARCS doesn't appear to purposefully alternate thier active CCs on their sites.

If it were me in your situation (and even in my own situation where I travel to Columbus a bit and program only the primary CC for I70 corridor) I would do just what you suggest and only program in the "red" frequencies in the database.

Then again, I think there is 200+ MARCS sites, so in the big picture I can only speak for about 5% of them.

Mike

swstow

Premium Subscriber
thanks

it took about two hours and three sheets a paper but i figured out that zone 1 covers both osp post 5 and 6 and zone 3 covers post 6 where im in

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
MARCS doesn't appear to purposefully alternate thier active CCs on their sites.

Then again, I think there is 200+ MARCS sites, so in the big picture I can only speak for about 5% of them.

No, you're pretty much right on the money. MARCS control channels (in fact, the control channel on most new systems) rarely if ever change.

The original reasoning behind the rotating control channel was from the early days of Motorola systems. The higher-powered Micor transmitters used included tube-based power amplifiers; tubes don't like 100% continuous-duty for days on end and like to rest from time to time. So Moto systems were set up to rotate the control channel every 24 hours to balance the load on the power amps.

The more modern transmitters, like the Quantar, are apparently more efficient when running continuously (or at least don't need to take a breather like tubes), so it's no longer necessary to rotate the control channel.

I've rarely heard any of the sites around me change control channels; the Columbus site changed briefly (for an hour or two) last week, and the other surrounding sites I monitor haven't changed at all that I can remember.

So, you'll be fine by going with the control channel only and leave off the alternates. You might occasionally get caught by a site that has changed briefly, but it's very rare.

Last edited:

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
it took about two hours and three sheets a paper but i figured out that zone 1 covers both osp post 5 and 6 and zone 3 covers post 6 where im in

You meant Zone 1 covers OSP Districts 5 and 6, right? Post 5 (Athens) is in Zone 4 while Post 6 (Wapakoneta) is in Zone 1. Part of the Wapak patrol area may also be in Zone 2 (North).

Zone 3 is the southwestern/southern part of the state (along the Ohio River from Cincinnati to Pomeroy, as far north as Greene and Fayette counties, Jackson, Pike and Vinton, et al).

Last edited:

swstow

Premium Subscriber
yea thats it :)

i travel up to hoser147 area alot during the summer so i looked up the zones and the county they are in figured central zone covers that county and living in cincy i travel 25 miles one way to work all interstate i should be well covered

also programed my 96 last night with cc only, and left the 2096 with cc and alt cc for my area and it seemed to work on the way home this morning

hoser147

You were close as Tom said District 5 Post 6. Still plenty of ice on the pond now. Should be alot more to listen to in the near future as Mercer and Auglaize and several other counties up here should be going to MARCS soon.

Last edited:

swstow

Premium Subscriber
i ask the marina to put wheels on the pontune boat :) that way well just drive over the hard spots

Status
Not open for further replies.