*Newbie* scanner decision question...

Status
Not open for further replies.

crawly1025

Hi all. I'm new to the forums here but not new to Radio Reference or scanning, although I've learned a lot just from reading in here the past few days. Now I'll bore you with my question...

My question is a general one. I live in a pretty small town in Jefferson County Ohio and my scanning area covers the local town of Steubenville/Wintersville and the panhandle of West Virginia (Weirton). I have a Radio Shack Pro-2055 that I use as a base and a Pro-94 that I'm looking to replace. The PRO-2055 works great, I assume because the area hasn't gone to digital and it's a pretty small area compared to the larger cities. I'd like to get a mobile that I can take with me when I drive the 50+ miles to work to listen to the CB channels.

I'm looking to replace the Pro-94 with either a Uniden Bearcat 246T or wait and get the 346XT. I called ScannerMaster who is accepting pre-orders and was basically told they're supposed to come out in April, but they really don't know. Ok, I expected that. The features that the new 346XT offers is pretty dazzling and for a decent price. I'm not sure I need all that though. My question is, would you guys wait for the new 346XT or should I just go with the 246T? I don't even come close to filling up 500 channels let alone the up to 3300 that the 246T offers. Would it really be beneficial for me to wait for the 346XT?

Just for information, I mainly listen to the local police, fire, state troopers and the local airport in town.

Mike-KC8OWL

If you have the extra money, I woud go with the new version of the 396 when it becomes available. By doing that you will be able ot listen to the Ohio MARCS system which is where all of OSP has moved to. Also, as radio systems are changed and upgraded you will have the ability to continue to monitor them.

Last edited:

rcool101

Feed Provider
I live in Jefferson Co and have the 246 and the 396. You need a digital scanner to hear Ohio Highway patrol. As for listening to CB channels don't get your hopes up with what ever you buy. Your range is very limited with a scanner antenna. A half mile at the most. I would wait for the new scanner to hit the market if you can afford the price

crawly1025

The thing is, I'm really not interested in listening to the Highway Patrol and after looking at the features that the 346 has over the 246, im just not really that sold on waiting for it to come out. I won't ever need nearly that many channels for the listening I do and I'm not going to hook up the GPS option. From what Scannermaster support told me, software will eventually be available but isn't yet. Ok, so maybe I'm trying to talk myself out of it. If I lived in a bigger coverage area, I'd wait...no question.

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
My question is a general one. I live in a pretty small town in Jefferson County Ohio and my scanning area covers the local town of Steubenville/Wintersville and the panhandle of West Virginia (Weirton). I have a Radio Shack Pro-2055 that I use as a base and a Pro-94 that I'm looking to replace. The PRO-2055 works great, I assume because the area hasn't gone to digital and it's a pretty small area compared to the larger cities. I'd like to get a mobile that I can take with me when I drive the 50+ miles to work to listen to the CB channels.

From reading all of what you wrote, it appears that you're willing to spend the bucks for a digital scanner. That's good. There's likely to be more digital activity in the future.

With that said, if you mostly enjoy listening to the 911 trunked system, local businesses, etc. and you don't really care about the OSP then I wouldnt' bother spending $500.00 on a scanner. [However, you can find really good deals on great digitals when people sell them on these boards - a buddy of mine from Toronto just sold one for around $300, a BCD396 it was.

The object-oriented scanners like the ones put out in the past few years like the Uniden 396/996 and BCT15 (and perhaps others) as well as the GRE PSR-500/600 (and maybe other PSRs) are not like your current crop of scanners. It is a nightmare [comparatively speaking] to program one of the object-oriented scanners when you are on the road. Most people program them via computer and then leave them alone.

So it all depends on how involved you want to be with 're-learning' the way you program your scanners, as well as how much you feel you need to go digital. In our area (I'm just north of you in Toronto) there just isn't much digital activity. But you say you drive 50 miles to work. Which direction to you drive? I guess it's irrelevant - there really is not much digital regardless of where you go within 50 miles of Steubenville - except for the OHio County Public Safety P25 System - which has the Ohio Co WV sheriff on it, and Belmont County 911 trunked system (if you want to listen to the police - the police talkgroups are digital).

Keep talking... looks like you've raised a few eyebrows from people around Steubenville (I didnt think there were any more). We'll help you if we can.

Mike

PS: you said you listen to the state troopers - not sure how you do that, unless you mean you listen to the WVSP, since OSP cannot be monitored on your current scanners.

Status
Not open for further replies.