Ohio Scanner Use Laws

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luxor

Does anyone know the Ohio Code for scanner use in the state. I have searched the website several times but cannot find any law pertaining to scanner use.

Thanks

Nasby

Don't know of any Code. However, in Ohio scanner use is legal at home or mobile. As long as you don't divuldge what you hear (doubt anyone in Ohio has ever been busted for this one) and as long as you don't use it in the commission of a crime.

scannerwhip

In Ohio, the only place I've ever heard of that disallows scanner usage in a privately owned vehicle is the City of Newark under Chapter 648 (648.12) - Receiving Police Signals or Messages. This doesn't apply to licensed amateur radio operators.

K8TEK

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
You aren't going to find a law if it isn't illegal. There is only one instance where it is illegal, that can be found under ORC §2923.24

Nasby

And 2923.24 in the ORC pretty much refers to just about any device (not just a scanner) as being illegal if you use it to commit a crime. Could be a cell phone, calculator, crow bar, etc..

K8TEK

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
And 2923.24 in the ORC pretty much refers to just about any device (not just a scanner) as being illegal if you use it to commit a crime. Could be a cell phone, calculator, crow bar, etc..
Exactly.

Luxor

Use in vehicle

Thanks for the info. I was just making sure that there were no laws prohibiting use in a vehicle. I am usually operating in Ky and state law prohibits use in a vehicle except for certain situations Just wanted to make sure what Ohio laws were before I tried to use in my truck up there.

Status
Not open for further replies.