would it be worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

steveh552

Currently I only have a Bearcat 350a scanner, which is just conventional up to 512mhz, I cant complain, it only cost a buck at a yardsale. I also use my 2m HT to scan.

I was thinking of getting a BCT15, which I can get for 159.99 and was wondering if it would be worth the money. I live in Licking county, the only trunked systems I know of are AEP and MARCS, which I know the 15 wont pick up MARCS. Would it be a waste of money to get it? I do drive to New Albany daily if that makes a difference.

hoser147

Hey Steve, the BCT15 is a good analog trunk tracker, but you may want to save up a few more bucks and try and get one of the Digitals that pass thru here occasionally for the 200-250 range or what you can afford. Really your the only one that would know if its worth getting the "BCT15 as you are the one that will be using it. Hope this helps Good Luck.

steveh552

I would not mind another digital, but I am not sure I will be able to find one for what I can get the 15 for, and that maybe pushing my budget in the reality of things. I get into the hobby and then out, and it goes back and forth. I will continue debating this to myself for awhile I think

HarryWilly

AEP and MARCS is the only reason to have a trunking scanner in Wooster as well, and from personal experience, don't bother unless you plan to go to digital, and even then it might not be worth it. Although MARCS has although talkgroups you will only be able to hear the channels available to radios currently affilliated to that trunking site: for example, I can only pick up the Division of Fire Marshal channels when our local fire marshal is in the area because his radio is the only one in the area that has them programmed in.

The thing I have been pushing lately is checking your local radio shack if you want digital (to listen to your local OSP post maybe?) The 2096 and Pro-96 have been on clearance for a while and the radio shacks that still have them kicking around have them in the low to middle $200 range

steveh552

I took the plunge and got it. The scanner was brand new basically, had all factor items, in box with the plastic still over the display, and I got it for 149.99. Now if I can get it programed I would be good to go.

HarryWilly

Well that's still a good deal.. your gaining some nice advantages over most other comprably priced scanners including CTCSS/DCS (plus searching!) Alpha tagging, dynaminc memory, etc.

I can say AEP might not be very exciting but see what else you can pick up for trunking

Status
Not open for further replies.