Does anyone around Dayton Program Uniden radios?

Status
Not open for further replies.

k9gunner

Our Fire Dept has 6 Uniden radios that need re-programmed for our new SAR team. I am told that Uniden radios are madeby Relm? Can anyone around Dayton program these?

jerk

Our Fire Dept has 6 Uniden radios that need re-programmed for our new SAR team. I am told that Uniden radios are madeby Relm? Can anyone around Dayton program these?

RELM bought them out, try RELM in Florida... Melbourne FL
However, it would be better to junk the radios and get some ICOM or Kenwood or Vertex,
These will do narrowband, and you can find a local dealer. About 125.00 each new, programming would be at least 25.00 each, then you probably need new batteries as well. Not worth it. IMHO

Only one or two of the Uniden models were good radios, the rest are mostly junk.

K8TEK

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Why not help my stock and buy Motorola?

KD8CHP

Premium Subscriber
He'd be going from the Yugo to the Rolls Royce if he got the Motorola hehe

k8ow

Two people come to mind.. Norm over at the hobby stop or Englewood communications. Both have worked with uniden in the past and may be able to help.

k9gunner

Thanks, I forgot about Englewood communications. I will see what they can do. I am aware of the difference between the brands, I have the XTS5000 for work, which is a decent radio, my point was I was tasked with getting these programmed, not buying new radios. Our FD is on 800, so these are not for primary use. Thank you k8ow for the one useful post.

jerk

Thanks, I forgot about Englewood communications. I will see what they can do. I am aware of the difference between the brands, I have the XTS5000 for work, which is a decent radio, my point was I was tasked with getting these programmed, not buying new radios. Our FD is on 800, so these are not for primary use. Thank you k8ow for the one useful post.

And my point is these are/junk and they are obsolete.
It's like outfitting a Yugo with lights, siren, and decals to be the Chief's car.
It's not going to be worth it.

Tell whoever tasked you with this on what you "heard," you can still do what you were tasked with... But should you do it? This might be a question for management to decide. I know what my decision would be. It's not cost effective or worth it.

k9gunner

I foound where we can get them programmed for $12.50 each, well worth it in the city's opinion. Thanks for everyone elses opinion, great entertainment!

Status
Not open for further replies.