MARCS trouble / Using BCD396XT

Status
Not open for further replies.

msbphoto3

Hello Group, I,m looking for help with the BCD396XT.

I'm an avid scanner user and recently purchased a BCD396XT. I'm using FreeScan to program the unit along with files imported from Radio Reference.
Currently loaded into the BCD396XT is a number of trunked and conventional systems. Every system works fine with the exception of MARCS. I can hear other trunked systems Canton, Stark County, Summit and Tuscarawas Counties.
I have tried to enter the frequencies for every tower in the state and I have tried to just enter the frequencies for the towers in my county and the counties adjacent. I tried to reduce the number of the talk groups. Nothing seems to work. The file is set too mot type II.

In my other scanners (radio shack pro96/2096) I can hear MARCS fine. I used scancat lite to program these radios. The frequencies and talk groups were entered manually.

I also programmed a pro 197 with in the last week and had no problem receiving the MARCS system.

My guess is this is user error. Any suggestions?

jerk

Delete it and start over...

Sounds like it is the wrong system type, and it can't be changed, which is why I'm saying delete it.Check your quick keys also before you do that, but probably easier just to start from scratch.

Just do the closest site first, if works then go back and edit it and add other sites. Double check you settings, make sure the quick keys are enabled as well, before uploading to the scanner. But just do this file and add it.

If everything else is working, then there error is in that file. Also, it is not P25 but Type II. Double check that as well.

HarryWilly

If everything else is working, then there error is in that file. Also, it is not P25 but Type II. Double check that as well.

This is the number one problem I see when people are having problems with digital scanners. You have to remember that the voice is the Project 25 standard, not the control channel, the scanner will switch audio automatically.

But it wouldn't make sense if you can hear the Stark/Canton system because it is also Moto Type II SmartZone OmniLink with P25 audio

jerk

The error is in Freescan, I imported a file for MARCS using freescan and it imported/saved it as P25, edit it and change it to Mot Type II before uploading.

Problem solved.

Last edited:

wbowery

Premium Subscriber
Make sure you have the newest version of Freescan. It is .9B and requires that you have Microsoft .net 2.0 on your computer. It is a free download from Microsoft, and you only need it if you're running Windows XP. When I got my 396XT I downloaded Freescan .7E. I imported my BCD996T's UASD files and they did not transfer to the 396XT correctly using Freescan .7E, so I installed the .net software and Freescan .9. That did the trick.

Warren - KC8YKQ

Status
Not open for further replies.