Columbus Fire Radio

Status
Not open for further replies.

ptfd13

Does anyone know what kind of 800mhz radio I can use other than the XTS series to use on the Columbus Fire system. The XTS are nice but I just cannot afforn that at the moment. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

ajpritch

Unless you are an authorized user on the System and by your post asking what is supported your are more than likely not just stick to a scanner. Uniden, Radio Shack and GRE make great products to scan the system and it will be easier to program and not get you in trouble for using it either.

ptfd13

Unless you are an authorized user on the System and by your post asking what is supported your are more than likely not just stick to a scanner. Uniden, Radio Shack and GRE make great products to scan the system and it will be easier to program and not get you in trouble for using it either.

This response would have been great if I had posted asking about what scanners I can use. However, seeing as how I was asking about radios this post has no validity. Once again the radio police are trying to flex their muscles. Obviously if I am not authorized to be on the system I would not be. So thank you for the insight on scanners but again, I did not ask about scanners. Thanks to those of you who sent pms letting me know the information I needed. It was greatly appreciated.

jscott02

Wow. I guess someone didn't take their happy pill today. I guess we're supposed to assume all background information every time someone asks a question.

jds911

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Guess that part of your request wasn't true. This is a scanner site, not a Columbus 800MHz system users site. Not sure why the nasty reply was warranted targeting someone simply offering "any help".

Amazing.

Q101ATFD

Does anyone know what kind of 800mhz radio I can use other than the XTS series to use on the Columbus Fire system. The XTS are nice but I just cannot afforn that at the moment. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Your System Administrator would be happy to tell you what kind of radios are compatible with the system. That being said, the used to use MTS2000 series radios - but the upgrade to XTS 5000s is a small hint that they are planning on going to 9600 P25 (IMBE) in the near future, which they are - making the MT radios a paperweight. And monitoring an IMBE system without affiliation on an XTS (or any /\/\ radio for that matter) is not possible.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
Your System Administrator would be happy to tell you what kind of radios are compatible with the system. That being said, the used to use MTS2000 series radios - but the upgrade to XTS 5000s is a small hint that they are planning on going to 9600 P25 (IMBE) in the near future, which they are

Near future is currently defined as years. There are no immediate plans to upgrade the city system to P25 as the funds just aren't there. They're upgrading to XTS5000s for the interoperability aspect, and most of the ones they have are not currently digital capable. The only units with digital capable radios right now are command-level persons as well as specialized units like the bomb squad. There's also a cache of digital capable radios on the CERV.

Many of the suburbs, in fact, are still loaded with MTS portables and MCS mobiles, with the only digital radios in the hands of the chief and another supervisor (and most of those were handed out through a federal interoperability grant). The Columbus Regional Airport Authority is one of the few agencies I can think of off the top of my head where all front-line first responders are equipped with digital-capable radios.

Last edited:

jds911

The Columbus Regional Airport Authority is one of the few agencies I can think of off the top of my head where all front-line first responders are equipped with digital-capable radios.

There are a few others that I can think of..... Well, at least two anyway...

Status
Not open for further replies.