Question about Brushcreek/Buckeye MOA activity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

d18ge

I was listening to the 180th. practicing there bombing runs last night. I was wondering if anyone knew a way to find out where there target is when they call out the coordinates ? When I think of coordinates I think of latitude and longitude but neither one of them was mentioned.

By the way a barn was destroyed , numerous vehicles and unknown casualties. Judging by the direction they were headed I am guessing all this carnage took place somewhere near Hillsboro.

Thanks

Q101ATFD

They could be using MGRS coordinates. It's very much like UTM, which is a grid coordinate system, unlike lat/lon which is a spherical coordinate system.

BigJimbo

Premium Subscriber
Are you saying they actually dropped bombs that hit the ground near Hillsboro? Lotsa Dogfighting to hear in these areas everyday...not bombing.

That would be interesting.....last I heard neither of these MOA's actually went down to the surface.

Actual ranges for bombing are over in Indiana...as well as other places.

I'm sure plenty will chime in if I'm wrong....

d18ge

Not actual bombs being dropped , just simulation.
They were locking on with lasers and marking the targets then "dropping " GBU-38 JDAM
Always fun listening .

muskrat99

I catch alot of traffic here in Adams Co.....Dogfighting, Bombing, refueling etc....The couple of people I mentioned it too looked at me like I had 3 heads...

jsoergel

I heard some runs as well - don't the day, though. 314.000 was the only frequency that I heard used at the time, and no callsign (it was a flight of two, though). I think it may have been the 178th FW, based on hearing them back with Dayton shortly after chatter on the interplane freq stopped. On Wednesday, SHACK 01 FLIGHT (178th) was on U16 299.900 for their A/G practice.

As far as I know, the runs in Brush Creek and Buckeye are all simulated. The only nearby places for actual strafing and bombing (with practice bombs - see http://www.jakemelampy.net/stingerimages/180FW_JMelampy.jpg) are Atterbury Range (R-3401A/B) and Jefferson Range (R-3403A/B) in southern Indiana.

By the way, sorry to just drop in - I tend to post primarily in the Milair IV Sticky with activity at Patterson and Springfield (or whatever is airborne nearby), but I came across this and figured I'd contribute.

P.S. - Buckeye E/W TMOAs (500'-FL179) and ATCAAs (FL180-FL300) are scheduled for tomorrow from 1400Z-1515Z.

jerk

They've been busy over at Atterbury in Southern Indiana as well, I've not had time to search for new frequencies. I hear limited traffic on the posted UHF ones, but they are using something new on VHF also CTAF 126.2 has been active over here.

Also I think the Proving Grounds is just simulated laser now.

jsoergel

They've been busy over at Atterbury in Southern Indiana as well, I've not had time to search for new frequencies. I hear limited traffic on the posted UHF ones, but they are using something new on VHF also CTAF 126.2 has been active over here.

Also I think the Proving Grounds is just simulated laser now.

I don't know about JPG for sure, but I do know that it's closed due to all the unexploded ordinance.

Try this for freqs:

Indiana Military Operations Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

jerk

I don't know about JPG for sure, but I do know that it's closed due to all the unexploded ordinance.

Try this for freqs:

Indiana Military Operations Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

Actually it lives on as Big Oaks wildlife preserve, but very much still in use with laser targets at the North end of it; and because of unexploded ordinance will probably never be open to general public.

And to enter the park, the Nature Preserve part requires a safety video lecture.

I also have my own list of active VHF/UHF frequencies, most on RR have gone silent.
Thanks.

jsoergel

Actually it lives on as Big Oaks wildlife preserve, but very much still in use with laser targets at the North end of it; and because of unexploded ordinance will probably never be open to general public.

And to enter the park, the Nature Preserve part requires a safety video lecture.

I also have my own list of active VHF/UHF frequencies, most on RR have gone silent.
Thanks.

If you don't mind sharing, I'd sure appreciate it - the only activity I get lately is from scanning the UHF band as a whole and hoping to get lucky.

jerk

If you don't mind sharing, I'd sure appreciate it - the only activity I get lately is from scanning the UHF band as a whole and hoping to get lucky.

Still a work in progress...
There might be some KY digital frequencies mixed in as well. I'm still trying to figure out a good system for storing.
Also, remove .txt ending for spreadsheet.

Labeling or alpha tags especially.

Attachments

• Indiana-Ohio.xls.txt
    23 KB · Views: 334

jsoergel

Still a work in progress...
There might be some KY digital frequencies mixed in as well. I'm still trying to figure out a good system for storing.
Also, remove .txt ending for spreadsheet.

Labeling or alpha tags especially.

I tend to sort mine out by locations (one bank for Wright-Patterson, one for Dayton TRACON, one for ZID, etc.). ZID tags are easiest using the abbreviations and/or sector numbers for each (i.e., CVG LO 22).

A few more for you:

139.000, 139.250. 139.900, 142.700, 143.750 are recent interplane for Springfield-based Vipers (178th FW and RNLAF 306 Sq det)
240.350 is the primary Blue Ash freq, but 283.800 is used from time to time; 343.800 is often used for refueling in the Ohio MOAs
344.600 Metro is used by Patterson and Grissom
349.400 Buckeye Control (445th AW CP) - usually just 445th a/c, but a lot of crews new to Patterson mistakenly call there instead of Dispatch (372.200) - also hear the occasional phone patch
372.200 is a standard PTD frequency - Scott and Patterson are the two that I usually hear

I live about fifteen minutes from the 123rd ACS (Blue Ash) building, so I'll be taking a day sometime soon to sit across the street and log frequencies...I'll post them once I do. Hopefully I'll also be able to peek inside a Springfield F-16 at the air show this weekend and get a current preset list.

cheezyjeezy

Buckeye Brush Creek Activity

Does anyone know where I can find historical activity for Buckeye Brush Creek MOA on 9/12/2007. It seems there was some activity around Hillsboro on that night, just wondering if anyone was listening. Is there a way to see if anything was scheduled for this date?

Status
Not open for further replies.