Unconfirmed MARCS Sites

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
I created a wiki article listing sites that were either mentioned in MARCS newsletters or which have a license associated with them but have never been confirmed to be built out or active.

Please check the link below - If you live in one of those areas, keep an eye out for any activity. Some of those licenses have existed for a few years; some are new; one [Van Wert] is expired. East Sparta and Holgate were the ones that were only referenced in a MARCS newsletter once upon a time.

State of Ohio MARCS - Multi-Agency Radio Communications - The RadioReference Wiki

Any confirmed information should be submitted to the RRDB.

Thanks,

Mike

wbowery

Premium Subscriber
The location listed in the expired license for a Van Wert site is the same address as the AEP (Ohio Power) Van Wert base. There is an active MARCS data net freq on 860.4625 with a call of WPQD707 listing the same transmitter location.

There will be a new Van Wert County MARCS tower built between Van Wert and Middle Point (ASR Registration 1269061), but I haven't found any license apps for frequencies yet.

Warren - KC8YKQ

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
The location listed in the expired license for a Van Wert site is the same address as the AEP (Ohio Power) Van Wert base. There is an active MARCS data net freq on 860.4625 with a call of WPQD707 listing the same transmitter location.

There will be a new Van Wert County MARCS tower built between Van Wert and Middle Point (ASR Registration 1269061), but I haven't found any license apps for frequencies yet.

Warren - KC8YKQ

Thanks Warren. i'll update the Wiki tomorrow with that additional info for that site. I'll update my Google map too sometime. I appreciate the info.

Mike

wbowery

Premium Subscriber
The new MARCS tower in Van Wert County has been constructed. In fact, the tower has been finished for over three weeks, but no work beyond the actual erection of the tower has occurred. There is no electricity to the site, so the tower is still unlit. The building needed to house equipment has yet to be started. I haven't found any FCC applications dealing with this site yet. This all seems curious to me, but maybe this is standard operating procedure?

Warren - KC8YKQ

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
On page 15 of the following document, Putnam County is discussed and there is mention of a new MARCS tower being built to cover southwestern Putnam County.

"We are working with commissioners in Van Wert to build a new tower to greatly improve
coverage in southwestern Putnam County,"

Same tower you're referring to Warren?

http://homelandsecurity.nv.gov/NewsBulletins/2009/2009-04-03_NewsClips.pdf

Mike

wbowery

Premium Subscriber
Yes Mike, that is the same tower. This new tower will easily boost coverage for SW Putnam County and NW Allen County. The last I heard from the Van Wert county commissioners' side of things in July is that the site will be made operable, but Van Wert County agencies will not switch over day to day ops to the MARCS system due to the usage fees the state charges. Van Wert County, like many in Ohio, is having serious budgetary problems.

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Yes Mike, that is the same tower. This new tower will easily boost coverage for SW Putnam County and NW Allen County. The last I heard from the Van Wert county commissioners' side of things in July is that the site will be made operable, but Van Wert County agencies will not switch over day to day ops to the MARCS system due to the usage fees the state charges. Van Wert County, like many in Ohio, is having serious budgetary problems.

Seems the user fees are always a stumbling block. Hasn't MARCS waived fees for some agencies in the past? Maybe that's only when MARCS uses a county's tower space or a county or agency donates property.

Mike

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Florida, OH (HENRY)

Below is a link to a pending FCC application that includes a new site - Florida, OH (Henry County).

ULS Application - Public Safety Ntl Plan, 821-824/866-869 MHz, Trunked - 0004151003 - OHIO, STATE OF
- specific frequencies

If you live around Henry Co, you may want to listen for activity on the above frequencies, specifically a control channel for a new site. If someone does discover a live site, please take the time to get any information you can (Site ID, Site Alias, Primary/Alt control channel) and submit them to the RR Database and/or post the info here.

Thanks

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.