Possible New Laws In Ohio?

Status
Not open for further replies.
To amend section 4510.01 and to enact section 4511.204 of the Revised Code to prohibit driving a vehicle while talking, text messaging, or typing on a mobile communication device and to establish the violation as a secondary traffic offense

Laws, Acts, and Legislation

To amend section 4510.01 and to enact section 4511.204 of the Revised Code to prohibit driving a vehicle while text messaging or typing on a mobile communication device and to establish the violation as a secondary traffic offense.

Laws, Acts, and Legislation

fpo701

OH DB Admin
Database Admin
I love ambiguity in laws:

"(5) Any other substantially similar wireless device that is designed or used to communicate voice, text, or data."

I understand that this law is meant to target cell phones. The above sentence is too broad. A car radio (AM/FM) is technically a wireless device designed to commicate voice.

Yes. I know. I'm usually the one getting everyone back on the topic of scanning. :) There are just way too many possible devices covered in that sentence. Cell Phones, pagers, ham radios, scanners, AM/FM radios, satellite radios, laptops (seriously?), GPS.

Frank

16b

Premium Subscriber
The Ohio House of Representatives

Time to write to my representative. My brain is about to explode after reading that. Even though if passed as it is it probably wouldn't have an effect on hams and scanner users, it's still incredibly stoopid.

mdulrich

Feed Provider
I love ambiguity in laws:

"(5) Any other substantially similar wireless device that is designed or used to communicate voice, text, or data."

I understand that this law is meant to target cell phones. The above sentence is too broad. A car radio (AM/FM) is technically a wireless device designed to commicate voice.

Yes. I know. I'm usually the one getting everyone back on the topic of scanning. :) There are just way too many possible devices covered in that sentence. Cell Phones, pagers, ham radios, scanners, AM/FM radios, satellite radios, laptops (seriously?), GPS.

Frank

Any other substantially similar wireless device to (1) a wireless telephone; (2) text-messaging device; (3) a personal digital assistant; (4) a computer. A car radio isn't substantially similar to 1-4 and you don't talk, text, or type on a car radio.

Mike

fpo701

OH DB Admin
Database Admin
MDTs and MDBs are exempt:

under section Sec. 4511.204
(B) Division (A) of this section does not apply to any of the following:
(2) A person operating a public safety vehicle who uses a mobile communication device in that manner in the course of the person's duties.

Status
Not open for further replies.