Geauga County

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swipesy

Does anyone have any updated information on whether or not Geauga County will be switching over to digital and rebanding in January 2012? There have been some strange periods of 1 hour of no activity on my PSR 500 over the past several days and I wonder if they are testing for short periods on the new digital system.

John

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
Does anyone have any updated information on whether or not Geauga County will be switching over to digital and rebanding in January 2012? There have been some strange periods of 1 hour of no activity on my PSR 500 over the past several days and I wonder if they are testing for short periods on the new digital system.

They will be rebanding (mandatory), but as far as digital, unknown.

Swipesy

They will be rebanding (mandatory), but as far as digital, unknown.

After my post today the local newspaper came in the mail and in there is an article that Geauga made the first payment on a new digital system in December and implementation will begin in 2012 with a 12 month installation schedule. Since the Geauga County Sheriff's Department does the dispatching for numerous communities in Geauga my guess is they will be phasing in the conversion entity by entity. I know several of the communities have already purchased digital radios so I guess we just watch for the changovers.

Thanks for the responses.

John

kf8yk

Rebanding infrastructure retune is still scheduled for January, 852.2125 & 853.5375 have been removed from the control channel list and are now voice only.

We are planning on a 12 month schedule to install the new system, the new system includes 10 channels at 10 sites (100 GTR-8000 stations), seven MCC-7500 consoles, and a new logging recorder system.

The new system will use the same frequencies as the analog system and will still be a simulcast system. Encryption will be available, it's up to the individual agencies if they want to use it.

We'll be using the same core that the MARCS 700 MHz Cuyahoga County system and Lake County's future 7.x system will use. Roaming will be seamless between Cuyahoga, Lake & Geauga counties.

Swipesy

Thanks for the update Eric.

I am sure Geauga agencies need encryption to protect law enforcement agencies against all those Amish buggies that are scanner equipped!

John

LZ56

Premium Subscriber
We'll be using the same core that the MARCS 700 MHz Cuyahoga County system and Lake County's future 7.x system will use. Roaming will be seamless between Cuyahoga, Lake & Geauga counties.

What's Lake County's 7.x system? Will it totally replace their current 800 mhz system? When does Lake plan to implement 7.x? Will my Uniden Homepatrol-1 hear it if not encrypted?

Last edited:

kf8yk

What's Lake County's 7.x system?

7.x is Motorola's current P25 platform, the 7 is just a major version number, it has no relationship to the frequency band a system uses.

The most recent version is 7.11, due to fairly frequent software version changes a 'x' is often used to denote the minor version number when refering to these systems in general.

Will it totally replace their current 800 mhz system?

It will be new hardware on the same frequencies.

When does Lake plan to implement 7.x?

Should be running this year.

Will my Uniden Homepatrol-1 hear it if not encrypted?

It should work however the new system will be a different system type & all the talkgroup ID's will change. You will have to manually program your Homepatrol or wait for the database to be updated with new system information.

budevans

Lake County P25 info

You can find some additional information in the Ohio MARCS - Cuyahoga Co Project thread at the top of the Ohio Forums page.

Open Ohio MARCS - Cuyahoga Co Project then go to Page 7 (page numbers listed right side of the screen).

Scroll down to Monitoring from Columbus message from me budevans posted on 09-09-2011, 06:57 PM. What I heard was the initial testing of the Mentor PD, P25 Lake County link to MARCS.

Click on following link to see the Lake County Simulcast info from the RR database.
Ohio MARCS - Multi-Agency Radio Communications P25 Trunking System, Various, Ohio - Scanner Frequencies

One last note: I haven't seen any additional posts regarding Lake County P25 testing.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.