Clark County soon to use Marcs

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
About what is the time frame for a county to switch from VHF to MARCS? And what is the best control channel and / or TG to find when Clark goes Marcs? What does one have to do to be able to find the switch.To Refresh your memories, I am from the generation of crystal and programmable scanners so make it in easy to understand terms, Thanks

kinfolk

About all that has been released so far is Sheriif Kelly stated the switch could be made by Oct. 1st. The frequencies that are to be used may not even be determined yet. The new system has to be built from scratch and that process has begun and is in progress. I have one of my scanners set to search the spectrum daily and have not noticed any activity yet. As soon as I do, I will be sure to post in this forum. If anyone else has any further information, please let us all know. I first heard that Clark SO was going to be using TDMA and we possibly would be unable to monitor that system. I have heard from another source that they are not going to be using TDMA, just going to P25, which we would be able to hear. I am thirsty for more news.

In regards to talkgroups, as of about 10 days ago, they had not been determined yet.

Last edited:

ddsbstrb

Clark County SO to MARCS on 10/01/2012

Just read, today, in the Springfield News-Sun, that our Clark County SO will spend $630K to head to the Ohio MARCS system and will be "live" by October 1st of 2012.

Here is a link to the article, which appeared in today's News-Sun:

County to spend $630,000 on radios | www.springfieldnewssun.com

Really glad I purchased a GRE PSR-600 a couple of years ago. Looks like my old RS PRO-92 will turn into a paper-weight. Well, it will still make a good aircraft monitor for Springfield Beckley Airport!

I am assuming that the CCSO will be unencrypted-digital, I hope?

D. Seifried
Springfield OH

ddsbstrb

About what is the time frame for a county to switch from VHF to MARCS? And what is the best control channel and / or TG to find when Clark goes Marcs? What does one have to do to be able to find the switch.To Refresh your memories, I am from the generation of crystal and programmable scanners so make it in easy to understand terms, Thanks

I did a basement-clean-out, last summer, and found my old, Bearcat scanner, which was crystal controlled. It still is working.

I also have a Heathkit, which is tuneable! I guess we are showing our ages!

kinfolk

The new system is supposed to be P25 digital. What has yet to be determined is whether the modulation will be X2-TDMA or not. I do know that they are supposed to have two TAC talkgroups that are to be encrypted. Other talkgroups should be in the clear. Anyone else have any new info to offer on this new system?

The county fire departments are opting to remain on VHF-high so they will still be able to be monitored on the old equipment. Several townships are planning frequency changes but they have not gone into effect yet.

Last edited:

mdulrich

Feed Provider
I thought some of the talkgroups on the new P25 systems in Northern Ohio were X2-TDMA? I hope you are correct.

Yes they are, but that is a full P25 system. The current statewide MARCS system only uses P25 modulation, it is still a Motorola Type II system. Eventually the MARCS system will become a full P25 system, but that isn't happening anytime real soon.

Mike

kinfolk

Mike, I hope that you are correct. It was my understanding that a new system will be built for Clark County and that it will be MARCS-IP P25, same as what is in Lake and Cuyahoga County. Again, I hope that you are correct. We all will know soon.

SCPD

QRT
KQC425 will it stay or go away

can they use an old FCC with MARCS, or is it Ohio license they use. and does anyone know if Clark County is abandoning the old Hi band system like City did when they went ProVoice. Sounds like Enon PD wants to keep a two band radio, dont know how it works. I still remember the old 39.58 and 154.875 shared with Champaign days of old. I have not seen any change in a database yet for SO and will the change be quick to make a major switch like this?

w8prr

Premium Subscriber
Kqc425

Call will not be used for MARCS.

However, it should still be cuurent for 155.370 and other VHF they might choose to hang onto.

gabesta

Premium Subscriber
Any updates on the switch to MARCS? I'm still hearing some traffic on the normal freq.

andyishere

was behind a cruiser for Supervisor this am no new antenna for 800 system

What upsets me is that the county fire departments will have no communication with the sheriff department now other than based on what dispatch relays to them, I imagine they are monitoring the sheriff department frequently because most fires are dispatched to sheriff before the fire department plus it gives them a heads up about calls and more information than what the dispatcher will tell the fire department. All this is based on when I am listening to all the Clark County Law/Fire/EMS.

Such a shame that they have to go to an 800Mhz system like the city.

Status
Not open for further replies.