new uniden scanners in cleveland area

Status
Not open for further replies.

kraftwrk

Hello. Has anyone purchased the new uniden scanners? If so, do they work better than the psr-800 in the Cleveland area with all the simulcasting?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PSR-800

I got mine few years ago and it was a mobile scanner at first then i got the Pro-197 for the car now the GRE-800 is my base scanner works great on Cleveland about 80% decode i'm very happy with mine not looking to buy another scanner.

Nasby

According to a few reviews in the Uniden Forum, Uniden still has not cracked the simulcast issues with their new offerings.

kraftwrk

yeah, you would think. it will be interesting to see what whistler comes out with.

an39511

I just picked up the BCD536HP and quite please with it. I have a PRO-106 that has great difficulty with OHIO-MARCS multipath distortion. The PRO-106 would only pickup clearly about 50-60 percent of the time which is useless. The BCD536HP on the same antenna (outdoor ground plane) clearly picks up 98 percent. I have no other experience with Uniden Scanners other than this one.

LZ56

Premium Subscriber
I'm eagerly awaiting someone to be the guinea pig that tests the BCD536HP against the Lake County simulcast system.

an39511

I'm eagerly awaiting someone to be the guinea pig that tests the BCD536HP against the Lake County simulcast system.

I am on the west side near Hopkins Airport and loaded up MARCS-IP Lake County Simulcast and it comes in 95% clear. Monitored Willoughby PD, Mentor PD, Wickliffe, Lake Co Sheriff, Madison Twp, Painsville / Fairport Harbor, Mentor-on-the-lake / Kirkland. There is only a small amount of Multipath interference.

I am in a very dense RF area and use a cheap Radio Shack Ground plane at 30 foot. Signal strength is 2-3 bars on the Lake County Tower.

wmlovell

Premium Subscriber
I couldn't get the Cleveland system at all on my 996XT, PSR500 or HP-1 from my house (Aurora/Bainbridge border with a higher ground elevation). I would get 3-bar signal and it would stop on the talkgroups but it would not decode better then 30%. Had to travel towards the City just to verify that I had it programmed correctly.

I received the 536HP on Thursday and have been monitoring CFD and the SWRCN FDs since. Audio is very clear consistently. I also noticed that I receive the MARCS-IP 700MHz Cuyahoga simulcast just as well where I normally would only get half of those transmissions with the other units.

I can't pick up the Lake Co simulcast system so I only get the FDs that affiliate with the Cuyahoga and Geauga systems.

Have to say I am very pleased with this new radio.

ONA73

I ordered my bcd436hp this evening. I am hoping to have good results in Willoughby listening to Lake,Geauga and Cuyahoga and hopefully Cleveland. I will post my tests once I receive the radio.

Hello. Has anyone purchased the new uniden scanners? If so, do they work better than the psr-800 in the Cleveland area with all the simulcasting?

No doubt about it. The BCD536HP receives much better in the Cleveland area than my PRO197 and my PSR 800 with the simulcasting problem.

budevans

No doubt about it. The BCD536HP receives much better in the Cleveland area than my PRO197 and my PSR 800 with the simulcasting problem.

I'm wondering if you can provide a little more info. I see your location is listed as Seven Hills. Do you have simulcast issues from your home (Seven Hills) or from other locations in the Cleveland area? If the issue is in Seven Hills, which P25 system(s) do you have the simulcast issues and how bad?

eorange

♦Insane Asylum Premium Member♦
I ordered my bcd436hp this evening. I am hoping to have good results in Willoughby listening to Lake,Geauga and Cuyahoga and hopefully Cleveland. I will post my tests once I receive the radio.
That'd be great. What radio do you currently use?

Swipesy

As Bud stated I think the reception issue is location not radio. I have no reception issues with any of the P-25 Systems (Geauga, Lake, Chagrin Falls, Solon, Cleveland, Parma) with my PSR 500 and PSR 800. As I read the comments from around the country some say the new Uniden's are horrible, some say they are great. My take is Uniden caught up to GRE and either brand now is about equal.

John

I'm wondering if you can provide a little more info. I see your location is listed as Seven Hills. Do you have simulcast issues from your home (Seven Hills) or from other locations in the Cleveland area? If the issue is in Seven Hills, which P25 system(s) do you have the simulcast issues and how bad?

Yes I have simulcast problems with the Greater Cleveland System from my home in Seven Hills. I have a discone up 20' on my ham radio tower that neither my GRE 800, PRO 197, or my PRO 106 will work on for the greater Cleveland (CPD) system. My reception is very broken and unusable. I can go north a few miles (Snow Road) and reception is crystal clear with the PRO-106 or GRE-800 with just the rubber ducky.

With my new BCD536HP on the discone I get the above traffic loud and clear for the most part. (99%)
I even get it about 90% with the small supplied portable antenna inside my home.

The BCD536 has made a big difference with my simulcast problem.

As Bud stated I think the reception issue is location not radio.

John

Yes John it is definitely a location issue. By the same token the BCD536HP certainly makes a difference in that I can now receive the CPD with the simulcast problems. I could not receive this system at all with my PRO197 and GRE 800.

Bottom line: The BCD536HT has some kind of a design that helps me with the simulcast problem over my PRO197/106 and the GRE800, which are great scanners also.

I certainly can't guarantee the BCD536HP would help everyone with the simulcast problem.

budevans

Yes I have simulcast problems with the Greater Cleveland System from my home in Seven Hills. I have a discone up 20' on my ham radio tower that neither my GRE 800, PRO 197, or my PRO 106 will work on for the greater Cleveland (CPD) system. My reception is very broken and unusable. I can go north a few miles (Snow Road) and reception is crystal clear with the PRO-106 or GRE-800 with just the rubber ducky.

With my new BCD536HP on the discone I get the above traffic loud and clear for the most part. (99%)
I even get it about 90% with the small supplied portable antenna inside my home.

The BCD536 has made a big difference with my simulcast problem.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm very familiar with that area. I live in Brooklyn Hts,..Seven Hills is our southern neighbor.

I really have just one system that gives my PSR-500 trouble from my home, the MARCS-IP P25 system. As for the Cleveland System, the Schaaf Road Brooklyn Hts Tower pretty much sums it up. I get 4 to 5 bars with no antenna.

Glad to hear that the BCD536 has made big difference for you. For now I can't justify the purchase of another scanner for just one (Cuyahoga MARCS-IP) problem system.

I hope that the folks buying BCD536's & 436's keep posting their impressions.

tonya

Premium Subscriber
Just my 2 cents on this. I live in Bratenahl . I’m getting the Cleveland system off the Chardon Rd tower. It comes in real good. EMS I find a little choppy so I would be interested if anyone else has the same issue. I too have a problem with the Marcs IP-25 system. Hit and miss for me though I’m not that far from the Wickliffe tower?? I’m using a HP-1 which I know is not the ideal radio for these systems. I like many others are probably waiting for reviews on the new Uniden models.

HIP

I am in Toledo and my home 20 has always been horrible for our simulcast system, for me the 536 has made it enjoyable to listen to.

dizwiz

LOL. uniden vs. GRE

I had a Uniden BC-296D and the decode was so bad (sometimes due to voice quality, that scanner didnt have auto voice quality adjustment), that it turned me off to the uniden's and I went GRE, PSR-500.

The GRE PSR-500 was better, but not perfect.

Everyone acted like the GRE's were so great on MARCs. It still only gets 80% decode when im out mobile. If Im sitting in my house listening to a nearby tower, its near 100%.

The good news is, some garbled transmissions I will hear the dispatcher say 'didnt get that, please repeat'. So I know its not just my radio.

I know most people it seems just sit aroudn in one location and listen to the MARCS tower closest to them, for me I am constantly driving across ohio for my job and am always switching towers.

Status
Not open for further replies.