MARCS coverage lacking in Pymatuning State park

Status
Not open for further replies.

W8VFD

Feed Provider
Based on what I saw this past Sunday while assisting in a missing person search in Pymatuning State Park the coverage for Ohio MARCS was lacking to say the least. The ODNR had a heck of a time communicating even on his radio in the car and handheld coverage was definitely out of the question (And before anyone jumps on me, yes, I know the system was not designed for handheld coverage in the majority of areas.) It's been a complaint of theirs ever since they switched from VHF to MARCS for communications.

The picture is the distance from the MARCS Tower on the upper Left side to the State Park on the lower right side. For being only 8.6 miles one would think that it would work better than what it does

If I am duplicating another thread that's already been beaten to death I apologize, I just feel like it's a matter of officer safety in that particular area when they're relying on this system for their primary means of communication.

Attachments

• MARCS Profile.jpg
    MARCS Profile.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 481

SCPD

QRT
I don't think complaining here is going to help much. There must be a way for the users to do that through official channels. If the're not getting any results then this is a big problem.

It's not clear to me but I assume you are talking about MARCS IP and not the old MARCS. Looking at the coverage map for the IP system it looks iffy if I'm looking at the correct data.

What site is that on your map???

Last edited:

kc8rak

I thought they was still using some non MARCS / old radio freqs for in park use. When Andover and the S/O was using the old radio system the parks had radios to talk to them.

SCPD

QRT
OK I found the MARCS site at 3040 U.S. Rt. 6. My eyes weren't in focus yet this AM when I read the OP's post.

If they were really using MARCS then that looks like a problem that close. As I recall it's not hilly terrain.

W8VFD

Feed Provider
What site is that on your map???

HeyWhatsThat Path Profiler

I do not believe that ODNR has any units on IP yet.

You are correct, they are not on MARCS-IP yet, speaking with one of the park rangers and they said that they're going to be one of the last agencies to make the conversion along with Ohio Highway Patrol.

I thought they was still using some non MARCS / old radio freqs for in park use. When Andover and the S/O was using the old radio system the parks had radios to talk to them.

All of the ODNR cars that I saw that day had the VHF antennas removed and a chrome cap over the NMO mount, Andover PD, S.O. & ODNR all use MARCS as primary communications now.

If they were really using MARCS then that looks like a problem that close. As I recall it's not hilly terrain.

They were really using MARCS, I asked one of the park rangers which TG they were using for communications with the aircraft so that I could try it on my XTS5000 and he stated that they were using ECOMM1.

Firefox89

Premium Subscriber
On a side note... really a side note.... does anybody know the actual reason why that kid ended up way out in Millcreek? Just out for a long bike ride or what?

T-Santon

I once did something very similar when I was a kid... In my case, it was over a girl... So if I were a betting man, I would probably put my money on that.

Status
Not open for further replies.