one tower site and entire MARCS tgids in scanner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

w8crz

Premium Subscriber
I monitor 1 tower site and have my county loaded. I hear lots of other tgids and usually look them up.
Im in Licking county and frequently hear POST98..
Question is- will it slow my scanner speed down if I stick with one tower but add tgids for the whole state?
Im using a WS1080
Thanks all in advance

jasonhouk

Adding all TGID's will not slow the scanner down. You'll hear a lot of what you probably don't want to hear though.

J

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
I monitor 1 tower site and have my county loaded. I hear lots of other tgids and usually look them up. Im in Licking county and frequently hear POST98..
Question is- will it slow my scanner speed down if I stick with one tower but add tgids for the whole state?
Im using a WS1080

Probably won't slow it down too much, but Jason Houk is correct, you'll probably hear a bunch of stuff you don't really want to hear.

Best bet is to limit yourself to talkgroups in your county and the surrounding counties, as well as the statewide mutual aid talkgroups, and assign them to specific scan lists. Those are the ones you're most likely going to hear.

If you do want to import the entire talkgroup list, assign the talkgroup wildcard to a separate scan list by itself. That way you can limit what you hear to local stuff, and if you get a whim to listen to everything, turn on the wildcard scanlist; since they're in your database the alias names will pop up when active.

w8crz

Premium Subscriber
Thanks fpr the replies.
Yea I understand about all the other groups and unwanted traffic. Im currently homebound and getting ready to have a 3rd back surgery so i like to listen to(and identify) all i can. Keeps the mind busy since the body doesnt cooperate.
I currently have 1 scanlist of licking co as well as the general groups(i.e. law dispatch,law tac etc...
I will try to put your suggestion into the works Tom.
Ill make a TG for each county around me.
Thanks both of you for the ideas!

Status
Not open for further replies.