P25 Phase II

Status
Not open for further replies.

skrbrown

Does anyone know what needs to be on a XTS 5000 to be compatible with P25 Phase II? I currently have
Q806 ASTRO IMBE Digital Operation
H14 Enhanced Digital ID Display
H869 Hardware Multikey Encryption
H38 SmartZone Systems Operation
Q173 SmartZone Omnilink MultiZone Operation
Q361 ASTRO 25 9600 Baud Trunking
Q446 Fireground Voice/Channel Announcement
Q947 Packet Data Interface
Q445 Fireground Accountably Software
Q667 ADP Encryption Software DSP Based Only

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
An XTS5000 pre-dates Phase II. If you require Phase II capability you will have to upgrade to a newer radio such as an APX6000 with the TDMA option in the flash.

n8dhw

Premium Subscriber
As the other posters stated the XTS5000, 2500 are not capable of Phase ll. Only the APX line is capable with the TDMA Flash.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

fyrfyter33

MARCS won’t go Phase II only anytime soon. Way too much XTS gear still out there that prevents a hard transition such as this, without a very large pile of money to fund it.

skrbrown

I was told by a Motorola rep about a month ago that MARCS is going to phase II either next year or the year after

fyrfyter33

Motorollya reps will say anything to sell APX radios. Like Aaron said there is a lot of XTS equipment out there, and more added every day.

Hamilton County is putting in a grant request to replace XTS with APX. The XTS will be 15 years old in July. This is for fire departments only. 700+ radios at a $3M requisition. That means a medium sized department like ours would get 8 portables from this.

I will only need another 5 portables after that and 25 mobiles to replace all of those. $4500/ea for radios, meaning I still need over $135k of equipment to buy. Our local government has earmarked $40k/ year until I can replace everything for the fire department, so I’ll only have another 3+ years to go. That would make us 1 Department out of 40 in this county that is Phase II ready.

Like I said, yes eventually we’ll see it, but not anytime soon. 88 counties in Ohio, my estimate would be over $500M to replace every radio in the state that isn’t Phase II ready. That amount of funding just isn’t out there.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
Like I said, yes eventually we’ll see it, but not anytime soon. 88 counties in Ohio, my estimate would be over $500M to replace every radio in the state that isn’t Phase II ready. That amount of funding just isn’t out there.

It's not just subscriber replacements; add to that the cost of system upgrades. The master site, zone controllers, site controllers and repeaters all need to receive upgrades. Phase II capable (but not ready) radios also need flash upgrades. Even the radios which are Phase II ready will need to be reprogrammed so that Phase II talkgroups are set up as such.

It's not a forklift upgrade (ie total system replacement), but it's darn close.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
It's not just subscriber replacements; add to that the cost of system upgrades. The master site, zone controllers, site controllers and repeaters all need to receive upgrades. Phase II capable (but not ready) radios also need flash upgrades. Even the radios which are Phase II ready will need to be reprogrammed so that Phase II talkgroups are set up as such.

It's not a forklift upgrade (ie total system replacement), but it's darn close.

Going through that on GATRRS right now. Quantar to GTR8000 migration. Everything is being ordered now (infrastructure and subscribers) as TDMA enabled but officially, still 4 years out from even putting Phase II into the planning stages.

Status
Not open for further replies.