A visit to ohio...

Status
Not open for further replies.

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
I am planning on attending the Hamvention in Greene County in May... thought while I was so close, I would visit the U.S. Air Force Museum at Wright Patterson AFB too. I am bringing along a couple of scanners to monitor this that and everything and was hoping someone could tell me what sites I will need to program for the Ohio MARCS project 25 Phase I system for the Xenia and Wright Patterson AFB area. Will the Greene and Montgomery sites be all that I would need? (I want to exclude all the sites in the system that I can in order to increase my scan rate.)

Thank you in advance,

Bill

fyrfyter33

That’s pretty much it. Those are the two largest counties in the Dayton area.

If you plan on going to Columbus or Cincinnati you’ll have to add more sites.

radioscan

Radio Sensei
Database Admin
I am planning on attending the Hamvention in Greene County in May... thought while I was so close, I would visit the U.S. Air Force Museum at Wright Patterson AFB too. I am bringing along a couple of scanners to monitor this that and everything and was hoping someone could tell me what sites I will need to program for the Ohio MARCS project 25 Phase I system for the Xenia and Wright Patterson AFB area. Will the Greene and Montgomery sites be all that I would need? (I want to exclude all the sites in the system that I can in order to increase my scan rate.)

Thank you in advance,

Bill

Both Greene and Montgomery County are countywide simulcast sites. As well as surrounding counties Butler and Warren. Something to keep in mind with possible digital distortion. You may want to also avoid programming the Dayton site as that mainly carries radio traffic for thr Dayton Correctional Institution.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T807A using Tapatalk

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
Thanks Mark and Fyrfyter33,

I will stick with the Greene and Montgomery sites. I'm only in town for 4 days and plan to visit the Greene Countiy Convention Center for the Hamvention on Friday.and spend Sat and Sun at the Air Force Museum. That leaves a lot of time for scanning and ham activities. I understand Wright Patterson AFB went trunked and encrypted so that's one trunked system not worth listening to. Do you have any other tips that may help?

Bill

fyrfyter33

It will be a busy time, it always is. Every frequency, lots of repeaters in the area including Cincinnati and Columbus will stay busy throughout Hamvention. DMR is also widely used during Hamvention.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
Both Greene and Montgomery County are countywide simulcast sites. As well as surrounding counties Butler and Warren. Something to keep in mind with possible digital distortion. You may want to also avoid programming the Dayton site as that mainly carries radio traffic for thr Dayton Correctional Institution.

Neighboring Miami County is also a simulcast site.

Only counties in the Greater Dayton Metroplex I can think of which are not simulcast are Clark, Darke and Preble.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
I live about a mile or so from the main gate at WPAFB in Fairborn. You are correct, nothing to be heard for trunk systems on the base, but milair is quite active as you can imagine. Fairborn PD gets hopping sometimes, as well as Xenia PD and Beavercreek. I monitor most of Greene County and a few hotspots in Mont County. Enjoy your stay!

Status
Not open for further replies.