Rail-Fanning Ohio

Status
Not open for further replies.

jasonhouk

Was wondering what radios/scanners & antenna other RailFans are using?

My mobile set-up is a Tram Tri-Band mag mount hooked up to the BCD436HP for VHF and the stock antenna on the SDS100 for the digital side of things.

Houk
6f5882fd43262987c28d9f3208bf6b70.jpg

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Swipesy

I use a Uniden BC125AT with a mag mount DP Productions 5/8 antenna and sometimes a Diamond SRH77CA rubber duck. I have found that my GRE PSR-500 and GRE PSR-800 are worthless on the rail bands here in Berea and Olmsted Falls, Ohio. Too much RF from Berea water tower microwave and Hopkins airport in Olmsted falls. The Uniden is outstanding.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
Was wondering what radios/scanners & antenna other RailFans are using?

My mobile set-up is a Tram Tri-Band mag mount hooked up to the BCD436HP for VHF and the stock antenna on the SDS100 for the digital side of things.

XTS5000 in an XTVA in the vehicle, and when out and about either the XTS5000 or an Astro Saber. Manly radios forever!!

For digital generally a TRX-1.

spdfile1

/\/\ Junkie
Motorola HT1000. 16 channel, HOT receive.

I just programmed my Motorola MT1000 16-channel with the FEC, CSX & SFRTA for South Florida. On my UHF 99-Channel MT1000 I programmed 2 channels for the EOT frequencies. I used to use my PRO-2052 1000-Channel Mobile Scanner in the car hooked up to a Radio Shack Magmount antenna cut to 160 MHz.

spdfile1

/\/\ Junkie
What software and computer do you use to program your MT1000? I'm having difficulty with mine.

Don

Funny you ask Sir. Currently I have my buddy program my stuff and he uses a Panasonic Toughbook CF-27 but I just acquired for free at a ham radio club meeting two weeks ago a working Toshiba Satellite 4020CDT which my friend is going to help me with. We have to delete some stuff and partition the hard drive so it'll dual boot (one side Windows 2000 Professional, other side DOS 6.2.2) and then he's going to install his RSS software and keep our fingers crossed. So I can certainly let you know how well it works once I get it up and running but his works great (which is the reason I want to do it myself)!! Send me a private message if you'd like and we'll exchange e-mail's if you so choose sir!!!

Last edited:

EricCottrell

Premium Subscriber
Hello,

I am a visiting railfan to Ohio. I am past the end of the line for freight were I live in Boston, so it is mostly commuter rail. I had a great time spending the day at Fostoria. I used a Uniden BCD436HP.

I also have a Icom IC-F3261DT with RR firmware. I programmed one zone with all the AAR channels in mixed mode so it would decode either Analog or NXDN. TX is also disabled so I do not accidentally transmit.

73 Eric

jasonhouk

Fostoria is s very nice place. In fact that is where my first clear NXDN transmission was decoded on my 436 when we started testing last year! If you have the chance check out the photos on Google Maps for the Iron Triangle there as I've posted a few with my DJI Mavic.

Houk
Hello,

I am a visiting railfan to Ohio. I am past the end of the line for freight were I live in Boston, so it is mostly commuter rail. I had a great time spending the day at Fostoria. I used a Uniden BCD436HP.

I also have a Icom IC-F3261DT with RR firmware. I programmed one zone with all the AAR channels in mixed mode so it would decode either Analog or NXDN. TX is also disabled so I do not accidentally transmit.

73 Eric

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.