Need some advice on how to pick out some trunking scanners?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good day -
I have two scanners now, which are standard channels.

I'd like to get a trunking scanner, but don't know where to begin.
I'm not out for the biggest and best, just one where I can hear local police such as the Cleveland, Ohio police, Olmsted Falls Police, etc.

Could someone please give me some ideas on what kind of trunking scanner I would need?
Thank you so much
Cindy

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Cleveland has simulcast trunked digital systems that cause reception issues for pretty much every scanner other than the Uniden SDS100, which is the only scanner currently available designed to handle simulcast trunked systems.

not sure if i seen anyone from the cleveland area who has tested the SDS100 yet if it works on Cleveland,Parma,Ohio Marc's yet ??

budevans

not sure if i seen anyone from the cleveland area who has tested the SDS100 yet if it works on Cleveland,Parma,Ohio Marc's yet ??

Hey Dave. It does. I've been monitoring all three P25 systems (Cleveland GCRCN, MARCS-IP and ***Parma P25 with my SDS100 without LSM issues.

As to earnswagbuckstoo question regarding the Cleveland GCRCN, the appropriate scanner would depend on where you live. If you could post a general location, there might be another RR member in that general area that could let you know if they are experiencing LSM issues. If there are no LSM issues in your area, then a relatively inexpensive P25 scanner would suffice. If you live in an area with LSM issues, then the SDS100 might be your only scanner option.

***One note. As Dave knows, Parma P25 has a (roving) Null issue due to poor deployment of their simulcast towers. No scanner or professional radio's can offset the Null issue.

Nasby

As mentioned by Bud, it all depends on your location in Cuyahoga County.

You could spend money on a top of the line $650 Uniden scanner, but in reality a $200 scanner may work just as well for you.

At any rate, there's lots of exciting things to scan in Cuyahoga County. You will enjoy listening in!!

Status
Not open for further replies.