436HP Monitoring Ottawa County

Status
Not open for further replies.

pdale

This may have been asked awhile ago, but after a search I found nothing in the Ohio Discussion. I've programmed my 436 to listen to Ottawa County Fire/Police much as I've programmed it for Toledo/Lucas County/Monroe County MI and those work great. But when listening to Ottawa County it take 15 to 20 minutes for the radio to "hit" the tower and begin receiving. Then it is fine. This happens every time I turn the radio on. I'm located in Lakeside about 1/4 mile from the Danbury Township tower so I've been playing with antenna size, attenuation, etc. with no improvement. Any thoughts?

HoytKlagwell

Premium Subscriber
For what it's worth I can see the tower at Lakeside from my back yard and the only thing that has helped me is a yagi pointed at it. Removing the antenna, using a paperclip and so on didn't work. I am using a Whistler scanner so your results may vary. Once it locks on the control channel it's fine. My Unication G5 works great.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Sounds like a simulcast issue, and the only thing you can do to fix the problem is a directional antenna or upgrading to the SDS100.

ctpd845

Feed Provider
It's not a simulcast distortion issue. The system is only three sites and the next closest tower to the OP is almost 20 miles away. I have heard deputies complain about the coverage of the system east of Port Clinton since they switched from the EDACS system to P25. The SR163 and SR53 area is really bad from what I heard.

phask

Premium Subscriber
If he is using this system and this site, it is Simulcast site, as to whether the OP is receiving issues due to it is impossible to discern without being there. # sites, annd that distant, probably, but being on the lake, not knowing the paticulars- it's a crapshoot.

https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?siteId=23111

But people posting without pointing to what system and/or site is way too vague.

ctpd845

Feed Provider
I never side it wasn't a simulcast system, but having worked in Ottawa County for 12 years, the east end always had issues. I heard it only got worse when they switched to the P25 system.

pdale

Thanks to all for the feedback. It is very much appreciated. I failed to mention that I have a 396T and a G5 operating side by side with the 436 and I don't believe I'm missing any transmissions. I also had an SDS100 here a few weeks ago and that worked well as well. So anyway, thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.