Is akron PD encrypted now

Status
Not open for further replies.

dizwiz

Turned on my scanner the other day and could no long pickup the summit system.

Particularly akron. Whats going on?

If its encrypted, then who wants to live where they dont know what crime is occurring around them ?

Nasby

They have a radio feed on Broadcastify that you can listen to.

However, it has like a half and hour delay so its kinda like reading yesterday's newspaper.

No fun.

KWs

Premium Subscriber
You can listen to APD Dispatch on official feed provided from the City.
15 minute built in delay.

dizwiz

my next question is interoperability

Do the neighboring suburbs on this system have access to akron’s ‘keys’ or are they to in the dark about whats happening on akron dispatch?

Im sure there is a mutual aid channel, or that a dispatcher can call the dispatch of a neighboring town to let them know if anything big is happening. But still.

What about ohio highway patrol? They routinely patrol akrons highways after akron announced fhey wluld not enforce traffic violations on the highways anymore.

Will ohio highway patrol have access to akrons dispatch ‘keys’? Or not? If not, then perhaps thats by design thru some internal politics between agencies...(my theory).

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
OSP and city police units do not communicate directly. In Columbus it is common to hear OSP units on traffic stops, which turn into foot chases, or they otherwise need assistance, and each agency's dispatchers communicate by phone only. Even the city and county/suburban units rarely speak directly.

scannermike11

Banned
Well sorry to tell you but in maybe 5 to 15 years most all PD are going to be encrypted
so start listening to other things that is what i do

santafe2016

interop

Here in Clark OSP monitors SO and they can talk on same TG so uses and Do. SO will operate a patch with PD but PD rarely initiates a patch. Works better than phone calls, so 80's LOL

dizwiz

Ok so im assuming its a fat ‘no’ that OSP will not be able to monitor akrons encrypted dispatch directly.

swatpup102

Premium Subscriber
I'm glad the planners down in SW Ohio realized this would be an issue and create the AW channels that everyone in the region has access to, including Northern Kentucky and South East Indiana. I hear many calls along the river where the agencies talk to each other on those Area Wide channels, from OSP to local to city to even the coast guard and local university officers.

Status
Not open for further replies.