Hocking Hills Cabins Info?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
Planning a weekend at Hocking Hills Cabins in a couple weeks and looking for info. I have been out there quite a few times and I have never seen LE in that area. Game wardens now and then, but no Sheriff or Police. We rent the Sunset cabin and like to hike over at Old Man's Cave and Ash Cave and fish the Hocking River, and I have yet to see a HH county police cruiser. Is that the
entity that polices the cabins area? I know the SD is encrypted, at least I think it was when I was out there last year. I am loading up a couple of FLs for that weekend and wondered if anyone local knows about any analog/digital freqs that are open to monitor? I am going to be running Close Call on one of my scanners because I am curious what freqs their maintenance and housekeeping (Hocking Hills Cabins) radios are on, most likely a dot radio. I don't see much listed in the business radio section on RR db. Maybe I will get lucky and put in a submission or two!

Any help/hints greatly appreciated!

JD
kf4anc

phask

Premium Subscriber
SO and ODNR would police as needed. Most ODNR are ENC, but some maint. and others are open or open occasionally.

There was mention of some VHF freqs. licensed (mentioned in the forum) to ODNR last year or so, but AFAIK, no verified reception or usage. HH was one of the areas on the lic.

al_35

Here is one for you, 159.2025, call sign:wqyy939.Good luck!

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
Hey thanks, guys!

Phask, yeah I knew Game Wardens were ODNR but are Forest Rangers and FireWatch as well? I don't know enough about their inner departmental divisions.

al_35, got it plugged into the FL and hope I catch something on it. FCC info says it's ODNR and the transmit site for the tower is in Laurelville, and it does say public safety and LE so I hope it's not encrypted. Doesn't seem to be by looking at the FCC info. Thanks for that!

JD
kf4anc

sopranosno1

if you get time check the uhf mre's 465.375,465.425,465.525,465.55, 465.5625. there is a bunch of low power, simplex, interop 700 channels in the 769-770 and 774-775 mhz. im not sure if odnr even uses mre's any more since the change from the original marcs to the marcs ip system.

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
All ODNR law enforcement is encrypted on MARCS-IP. The Hocking County Sheriff (also encrypted) does not routinely patrol this area. They do respond to criminal, civil, and county related incidents, and at the request of the ODNR.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
Phask, yeah I knew Game Wardens were ODNR but are Forest Rangers and FireWatch as well? I don't know enough about their inner departmental divisions.

Anything having to do with park operations, natural resources, etc are all ODNR.

The state-owned lodges, cabins and marinas are typically run for ODNR by contract operators.

mharris

Premium Subscriber
Years ago I would listen to the SO who is the Primary LE for the cabins. They had a strong VHF repeater. I would also listen to ODNR's VHF repeaters in the 151Mhz range.

Now, HH scanner monitoring absolutely sucks due to both the SO and ODNR LE using full time encryption. The only thing you can listen in on is FD, ODNR maintenance ops, and whatever else you can find that's not LE.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
Had no idea those cabins are state-run. Interesting. yeah, looks like scanning will be limited, but we'll do the best we can. Sometimes, biz freqs, dot radios, and frs/gmrs can be interesting, too.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
Had no idea those cabins are state-run. Interesting. yeah, looks like scanning will be limited, but we'll do the best we can. Sometimes, biz freqs, dot radios, and frs/gmrs can be interesting, too.

Actually I think the Hocking Hills Cabins you're in are privately owned. State-owned cabins are actually within the park itself.

Either way, give the search feature a try and see what pops up.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
Thanks, Tom, will do. Have a couple few FLs added to the SDS, see what happens!

Thanks to all for your input

JD
kf4anc

CincyKid

Have a nice time in the Hocking Hills area. Kind of a nice time to spend some time there. Time was, I'm sure you could pick up many calls there, but with all of the changes, it might be hard to hear something. Please let us know how it went and what you heard.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
Had a great time over the weekend at the cabin. I took my SDS100 and TRX-1 and Yaesu FT2dr for radio fun, and I also took my inside window mount antenna to compare with the Remtronix duck. The inside window mount is an HG PVC antenna (sold on eBay for $25) about a foot long with suction cup mounts on it that I put up high on an inside window, and it has a BNC coax feed. I have found that this antenna actually performs slightly better than a radio-mounted RS800. I used this with the TRX-1 for Close Sweep and switched back and forth. Other than picking up MARCS on distant towers, I focused on local vhf frequency searches and boy did we get a surprise. Vhf was entertaining to say the least. Lots of local stuff on 150s which I listed below -

154.212 911 comms medical? heard call ins to a a hospital with patient enroute

33.16 heard people ordering fast food for dispatcher, someone asking if dogs were ok? Another com reading mileage to dispatch. Addresses given. Pushy dispatch constantly asking for ETAs. Towing company? Taxi? Not sure.

155.340 Ambulance and medical?

160.065 Animal Rescue??? German Shep loose, listened to female searching for dog. Complaints about dogs running loose, etc

151.700 Propane delivery? Trucks delivering 'tanks' gave quantity and address. Could have been medical oxygen delivery too, I don't know, but they were close.

FRS channels now and then, too. Kids playing around. Heard someone else on FRS in a convoy remarking how great the pancakes were lol

Dot radios now and then sounded like maintenance and housekeeping, security, etc.

But the most interesting of all - 151.505 (500-505)

People whispering (and they were close) and relaying information about how many cars were in driveway and if it looked like someone was there. They were reading license plate numbers to someone. Two different people on this itinerant freq conducting some kind of surveillance late at night (Saturday) Sounded kind of spooky. At one point com was heard 'He is not there, car is not there, I repeat, vehicle not on property'. Then it all ended. This went on for about 20 minutes. Cops? Could have been repo guys? Hit men? lol I don't know for sure, but hearing this had us double check the locks around the cabin and checking loads. Very eerie, knowing they had to be close, and interesting. Not very trusting, we packed all of our electronics with us the next morning rather than leave everything at the cabin.

That next morning we drove by the house just west of us on our way to breakfast and I noted that the license plates on a Tahoe in the driveway matched the one I heard being checked the night before. They were only about a football field away. Probably in the woods between our addresses. No coms heard the next night on that frequency. It was weird hearing all that!

The TRX-1 with the HG antenna on the window was great for the Sweep feature. The vhf worked great on the SDS too, when the TRX-1 locked onto the 'weird' coms on 151.500-505- I did a custom search with the SDS and it quickly found the frequency and I held it there so both scanners would copy. SDS was quieter and clearer, but the TRX-1 was better on 151.500 and the SDS was better on 151.505. Why the drift I wonder?

Anyhow, that is the highlight of our monitoring efforts over the weekend. I am hoping someone can explain what we heard on the 151.5 itinerant. Very odd to hear late at night in a rental and hoping you are the only one with keys lol. I am inclined to think repo guys. Thoughts?

JD
kf4anc

phask

Premium Subscriber
160.065 A LITTLE PATCH OF HEAVEN ANIMAL RESCUE, INC.

Sounds like someone being watched by PI's, maybe someone's "romantic getaway". without the spouse :)

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
160.065 A LITTLE PATCH OF HEAVEN ANIMAL RESCUE, INC.

Sounds like someone being watched by PI's, maybe someone's "romantic getaway". without the spouse :)

Ahh could be, ya never know.

A Little Patch of Heaven Animal Rescue, Inc/...well that explains the dogs :) Thanks for that!

CincyKid

Interesting about all of the various things you heard. I'd guess the back-and-forth about license numbers and vehicles may have been some private investigators doing domestic surveillance. Sounds as though some of the talk you picked up came from walkie-talkies although I'm not sure if that is heard on the newer frequencies any more. Thanks for passing this along.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
Thanks for that phask! I've been going by the Monix list in the past but finding it's pretty much outdated these days.

sopranosno1

Thanks tailgator911. ive notice when the scanner starts hopping in state park areas, i start being more interested in what the scanner is catching compared to enjoying the park for the sites and sounds. I bet the hocking area is a beautiful place with all the cabins, hills, sites. I would prefer the spring and summer but the place is awesome.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
Thanks tailgator911. ive notice when the scanner starts hopping in state park areas, i start being more interested in what the scanner is catching compared to enjoying the park for the sites and sounds. I bet the hocking area is a beautiful place with all the cabins, hills, sites. I would prefer the spring and summer but the place is awesome.

Smoky Mountains scanning is good, too, and not talking public safety. I always take scanners on our cruises, very interesting monitoring there in the Caribbean and Mexico. Listened to lifeguards and beach patrols all afternoon in Grand Turk on dot radio freqs. Lots of cool scanning memories in the Caribbean. Scanners are fun everywhere!

You know what they say, no matter where you go, there you are!

JD
kf4anc

Status
Not open for further replies.