CB radio repair shop around Cincy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LawnCowboy

Anyone know of any repair shops to take a vehicle CB radio around the area for repair/analysis... the only thing I can think of is possibly taking it up to the truck stop on I-75 there in Monroe??? Can't find anything online or in yellow pages.... hmmmm

radioscan

Radio Sensei
Database Admin
Freeman Electronics on Galbreith Road near Northgate used to.
I have not dealt with them in over 20 years, but AFAIK they are still there.

LawnCowboy

Freeman Electronics was a well known place and did good work, they closed up shop a few years ago... Think the old guy passed away and the sons/part owners couldn't agree on who would take over or they all had other ambitions? Saw and talked to one of em last year. Can't remember what exactly he said... Actually bought the radio with the current issue from them a long time ago.

Looks like from Mick's post maybe there is a place in Hamilton I can try... looks to be the closest from the input so far.

hoser147

Its not close to Cincy but if ya get up North there is a great shop at the Anna Exit North of Sidney Ohio. 24 hours with 3 techs there. Last I knew. Great place and service. Hoser

SLWilson

I have to ask...

I'm not trying to be smart, but, I have to ask...Is it a mobile you need fixed or one of the high end fancy CB's from days gone by?

The reason I ask, if it is just a mobile, I'd think it would be cheaper to go buy a new one.

I understand if it is one of the older base stations why you'd want to get it fixed. I had a few of them over the years. I really liked my old Johnson base....

Thanks,

Steve/KB8FAR

LawnCowboy

just fyi, R&L electronics in Hamilton a "no go" on CB work....

thanks for the "net shorthand" lesson! :) learn something new every day.

thanks for input and suggestion on Sidney, OH. Probably a little too far to be worth it right now, but will keep in mind if up that way sometime.

and nope, just a Cobra mobile. $100 new... and yes, probably easier to just buy a new one for the limited use it gets.... just didn't know if there was a shop around Cincy that I haven't been able to find in my search... seems most have gone extinct with newer technology available these days I suspect.... hate to replace it if it's just something simple... haven't looked into the trouble myself (w/my limited knowledge) yet but just figured I'd get some ideas in case my ideas didn't work. (check ground, check antenna, hook up swr meter.... already replaced power mic battery)

Appears to be a modulation problem. Not getting many responses when "checking" and the couple that have responded have stated modulation or just not clear.... guessing the life has gone out of the radio... Freeman Electronics initially "peaked" the radio when I bought it back in -hmmm- 1994... and have heard since that isn't that good of an idea.... Only really use it for occasional, long road trips anymore. Probably check it in another vehicle I have just to make sure... maybe get a friend to check it with me to see if I can hear what's going on from a distance... sounds fine when I key up and leave radio on in my vehicle while walking away with scanner but of course that's close.... ideas?

thanks for everyone's input... appreciated! :) Probably just look at getting a replacement :) Seems more simple.

fordcobra04

Premium Subscriber
hoser147 said:
Its not close to Cincy but if ya get up North there is a great shop at the Anna Exit North of Sidney Ohio. 24 hours with 3 techs there. Last I knew. Great place and service. Hoser

Movin On Electronics Inc
204 Commerce Drive
Anna, Ohio 45302
Tel: (937) 394-7338

GREAT CB shop! They did some work on my uncles Connex and Galaxy radios and now they are better than from the factory!

hoser147

Thats Right FordCobra04. They are pretty well known with truckers from everywhere. They have tweaked several radio's for me. Never have I had to wait more than a few minutes there. They defiantly service what they sell and then some. They are into a little of everything when it comes to electronics. Those boys know how to run a business and keep their customers. Its been quite a pleasure to watch how that place has grown. Hoser

LawnCowboy

seems a power mic connection problem mainly... gravity (constantly pulling the cord down)seems to be the culprit... retuned antennas, checked grounding, checked continuity as well and seem to be back in action! yipee

thanks for the suggestions

don't mean to bumb and old thread.. but freemans might be gone
i have a friend who works on radios name wayne spicer he's at (2919 Cincinnati-Dayton Rd middletown OH, i've known him for 5 years, he's been in business since 85 he's also at treasure aisle flea market in monroe ohio building 4

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
seems a power mic connection problem mainly... gravity (constantly pulling the cord down)seems to be the culprit... retuned antennas, checked grounding, checked continuity as well and seem to be back in action! yipee

thanks for the suggestions

Best suggestion is to lose the power mike and go back to an ordinary microphone. Poorly adjusted power mikes are the biggest cause of poor modulation and excess splattering on the bands and always have been.

I worked as a tech at Freemans from 1984 until 1998 or so...I saw an opportunity building out the Ameritech Cellular market and had to jump on it...I did work on weekends for "the ol man" until he auctioned off the business in 2002. Old man John "Cadillac" Freeman passed away last year. Boy I sure wished I had a nickel for every "peak n tune" I did out of that shop :)

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
just seeing this and wanted to chip in to promote Movin On, very good service there. They did a peak and tune for me when I got my new Galaxy and that radio and their proficiency blew me out of the rig.They do real good work and would be well worth the drive, but glad to hear you have your problems fixed!

73s
JD
kf4anc

Status
Not open for further replies.