Listening to OKC - the updated FAQ

Status
Not open for further replies.

plaws

Premium Subscriber
Loumaag is going to unstick the old FAQ. Let's see if we can get this update updated and maybe we can get it stuck again.

Information regarding the Oklahoma City EDACS system.

Please read carefully each of the following items:

1. The Oklahoma City EDACS ProVoice system is a trunked system deployed at the end of 2005 to support all public safety and city services communications for the City of Oklahoma City. All City of Oklahoma City Police, Fire, and Public Works operate on this system. In addition, the cities of Bethany, Warr Acres, and Yukon have talkgroups on the system

2. The system uses ProVoice digital modulation for most public safety operations. You must have a scanner that supports ProVoice. Only certain models of Uniden scanners can handle ProVoice.

3. This system supports a feature called EDACS System Key (ESK), which, when enabled on the system, will cause your trunktracker scanner to not be able to track the system. Currently, the ESK feature is not enabled on the system, which means your trunktracker is able to monitor any analog transmissions on the system.

4. When ESK is not enabled on the system, your trunktracker can monitor analog transmissions on the system like any normal EDACS system.

5. There are two areas within the system: Core and Wide Area. The Core System is made of the inner city sites that contain and control a large majority of the radio traffic. The Wide Area System is comprised of the towers that reside away from the metro and provide coverage to the further reaching areas of the city and help fill the remaining gaps in coverage.

6. The Wide Area System is digital Provoice for public safety talkgroups just like the Core.

7. Links to OKWIN: Each of the OCPD patrol division talkgroups are patched to OKWIN - see the OKWIN DB for details. These patches are up most, if not all, of the time The OCFD talkgroups are patched occasionally to OKWIN; again, see the OKWIN DB for details. There are links to the Regional Mutual Aid (RMA) talkgroups on OKWIN as well as OHP talkgroups. There are also links to VHF and UHF channels used by neighboring law enforcement agencies. Again, see the OKC EDACS and OKWIN DBs for details.

8. Databases:

Oklahoma City Trunking System, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma - Scanner Frequencies
Oklahoma Wireless Interoperability Network (OKWIN) Motorola Trunking System, Various, Oklahoma - Scanner Frequencies

NOTE: This was openly plagiarized from blantonl's "Listening to San Antonio - the FAQ" post in the Texas regional forum and freqscout's earlier post on this topic in this forum. It was updated in 2012 to reflect the current reality.

Last edited by a moderator:

Drkatzjr45

Senior Member - Emeritus
Premium Subscriber
OKC Polce Reception - Not All that Great

I recently purchased Uniden's HomePatrol-1. (updated last week)

It --should-- be able to hear OKC's digital....should it not?

Under the category Oklahoma City, I tried both ---"Core---" and ---"Wide---" and hear nothing.

The "Links" available on OKWIN seem to me to be of rather poor reception (at least compared
to Tulsa).

I am staying in a downtown OKC hotel right now, on a high floor, and the "Links" to OKC
are average (in terms of reception).......to say the least... Why is this

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
I recently purchased Uniden's HomePatrol-1. (updated last week)

It --should-- be able to hear OKC's digital....should it not?

As stated above :

The Oklahoma City EDACS system uses ProVoice digital modulation for most public safety operations. This means that your scanner cannot monitor the ProVoice digital talkgroups on this system. There is no way possible to monitor any ProVoice digital communications with any scanner today.

joebobe

I have a friend in OKC who is interested in listening to the OKC police and fire. I understand that the only feed is through the OKWIN system. Have listened to the online feed here at RR and I think that would suffice for traffic. Only problem is, one cannot listen to both fire and police without occasionaly hearing both at once. Would a Pro95 or 164 work for the OKWIN feed? Any pointers would be appreciated.

B2man

I use a Grecom PSR-600 for that very reason... I can set up lists to monitor, and only monitor, what I want to at any time... there are 22 scan lists... I have one list dedicated to Troop A OHP including AR-1 AM-1, R-1 Capital, etc. but I can also monitor lo-band 44 MHz Sides 1, 2, 3 &4 at the same time without changing modes. I have fire assigned to a list, EMS, assigned, OKC PD, Sheriff, (talkgroups as well as UHF freqs.) All the other OHP talkgroups I've assigned to a list I call "Out of Area" so if I'm heading to Tulsa or Texas, I hear the local area. I have a list I call "OKWIN" for the APCO-25 stuff around Muscogee, which I just heard OHP Speed Enforcement operations going on this past Wednesday.

Status
Not open for further replies.