OKWIN Operation Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

k5glh

Feed Provider
On the OKWIN system information, it shows various sites throughout the state. It also shows various talk group channels listed but there doesn't seem to be a connection between a talk group and a specific site.

My question is this...

As long as you are correctly connected to the Oklahoma City site, can you hear talk groups that are across the state? For example, could I listen to Tulsa City police over the system from the OKC site? I am using a Uniden BCD536HP scanner.

Thanks

wx5uif

Premium Subscriber
It depends what they have the configurations set for.

What happens is a unit goes to where another site is locate. Their radio affiliates on that site. If that channel is permitted on that site it will let the radio connect to that channel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

k5glh

Feed Provider
One more thing... Is there a reason why the signal strength is not the same for different talk groups? For example, Del City police only get two bars at my house and Edmond which is much farther away is full scale. They are both on the OKWIN.

The same thing goes for Norman and Purcell talk groups are booming in but Del City is real scratchy. I am right by the truck stop at I-40 and Choctaw Road in Eastern Oklahoma City.

n5bew1

If you are hearing these different talk groups from the same site that would be puzzling as to why some are stronger than others. If you are actually receiving Norman on Norman's site and Edmond from a different site than Del City is on that could explain some of this. Norman's east tower is located on OKC's Choctaw Rd about 2 miles north of Lake Thunderbird. It is on a hill with a 300 ft tower. Del City may be on a different tower on the OKC site??

S

screamin72

One more thing... Is there a reason why the signal strength is not the same for different talk groups? For example, Del City police only get two bars at my house and Edmond which is much farther away is full scale. They are both on the OKWIN.

The same thing goes for Norman and Purcell talk groups are booming in but Del City is real scratchy. I am right by the truck stop at I-40 and Choctaw Road in Eastern Oklahoma City.

I have noticed the same thing with signal strength on the OKWIN system. Signals ae not always consistent Perhaps, just a guess, the repeaters are spread out further apart than the OKCPD Simulcast Layers. Lower wattage, which direction. (OFF TOPIC: Get your 146.700 repeater on frequency yet?):cool:

n5bew1

I have noticed that on the Lexington and Chickasha sites some of the repeaters on each site are way weaker than some on the same site. It is almost like some repeaters are way down in power on the site.

HogDriver

Premium Subscriber
It depends what they have the configurations set for.

What happens is a unit goes to where another site is locate. Their radio affiliates on that site. If that channel is permitted on that site it will let the radio connect to that channel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I often hear Troop F units (Altus) here in OKC whenever one of their units are here on business.

HogDriver

Premium Subscriber
On the topic of OKWIN, With the standup of the P25 system, are transmissions being simulcast in analog as well as digital? Is Troop F receivable in both modes in the Ardmore area or is it just digital now?

I'm asking this for scanner programming reasons. As the P25 system gets more widespread, there is a lot of duplication between systems. I am getting tight on open space to program. If I don't program the P25 syst and I'm in Ardmore, will I still pick up the analog or it it strictly digital in that area?

Freqed

I'm just a listener
Premium Subscriber
As the P25 system gets more widespread, there is a lot of duplication between systems. I am getting tight on open space to program. If I don't program the P25 syst and I'm in Ardmore, will I still pick up the analog or it it strictly digital in that area?

It depends on the Site I believe, I can still get Muskogee Troop C in analog on the Tulsa and Coweta Sites (non-P25) and then when your in Muskogee and you monitor the P-25 site it will be Digital. So if you can hit the Analog sites unitl the Troop goes full Digital you should get the Analog traffic. I tell you this, the Muskogee traffic sucks in Analog with it sometimes being mostly garbage and has to be repeated several times both from the dispatcher and the radio cars.

kibler

Feed Provider
I guess this means that I have no chance getting the OKWIN network and I am only located just past the OK/Ark border in Fort Smith! Thats a shame, really wanted to pickup this system? I get all kinds of interesting conventional traffic from all around Eastern Oklahoma! Hope they do a little more improving to the OKWIN! Would really be a great area to addon with my side of the border! Thanks

kibler

Feed Provider
I forgot???....can someone recommend which SITE next to Fort Smith, I might have a chance to receive and I will keep trying different things to try and get it! Thanks very much

mikebennett

Premium Subscriber
I forgot???....can someone recommend which SITE next to Fort Smith, I might have a chance to receive and I will keep trying different things to try and get it! Thanks very much

Try this one in Gore;

GoreSequoyah855.96250856.26250857.26250858.26250859.26250a860.26250c

I'm planning a trip through there later this year and was wondering how far East I could pick it up.

Mike

Drkatzjr45

Senior Member - Emeritus
Premium Subscriber
Reply and RMA Question RE Rogers CO

One more thing... Is there a reason why the signal strength is not the same for different talk groups? For example, Del City police only get two bars at my house and Edmond which is much farther away is full scale. .

This makes sense. In Tulsa, for example, there are (2) --primary-- towers....one located in South Tulsa,
and the other located downtown (or North Tulsa)

If you lived in far South Tulsa, you would probably experience a variance
in the strength of certain trunked freqs. (The same would invariably happen in far North Tulsa)

As far as hearing Tulsa in OKC....I would think that hearing TPD would be highly unlikely.

You might hear them on ---Regional Mutual Aid RMA---- channels... but even then,
I am not too sure you could hear them then, (on tactical) for multiple reasons.

Speaking of RMA...(and on another issue) last night (2AM-3AM) there was some type
of search in Rogers CO involving Police 2. (Tulsa's helicopter)

It involved Rogers Co Sheriff's Dept... I listen to these cool events as a hobby, and have for many years.

While the ordeal was happening, dispatch tried to patch Police 2 (who was on a RMA chan)
and it failed; the Rogers units could not key-up.... They attempted the patch multiple times.....

I wondered why Rogers officers could not simply switch over to the RMA that P2 was on.

Does Rogers CO's tactical have some type of encryption, or other variable, that
would not allow the fleet to switch over to an RMA?

Last edited by a moderator:
S

screamin72

Well i read somewhere a door moving can interfere with a 800 mhz signal so maybe he has refraction in his area.

Status
Not open for further replies.