Norman new 6 site phase II system

Status
Not open for further replies.

plaws

Premium Subscriber
Norman application for 6 site P25 phase II simulcast system.
ULS Application - PubSafty/SpecEmer/PubSaftyNtlPlan,806-817/851-862MHz,Trunked - 0008259294 - NORMAN, CITY OF
Can't tell from the application if this is part of OKWIN.

The city has a Public Safety Sales Tax that they cannot spend fast enough (Norman's reserve fire apparatus is newer than your town's front-line pieces) so they are building out a new radio system. I saw the X-band microwave links to the new towers (there are at least two standing and, I think, five listed on the microwave licenses) but hadn't found the freqs - thanks for digging them up! I'll get those into my 436 and see if I hear anything.

plaws

Premium Subscriber
Don't look like it since the contact is from Harris.

Looks like Norman is fixing to become simulcast hell.

Only for hobby radios. The SDS100 is supposed to work just fine with simulcast. I'm curious to see how my BCD436HP handles it myself. One site is very close to my office, so that should be fine but I think there are two close to where I live and that could be an issue.

But not for a real radio.

n5bew1

Only for hobby radios. The SDS100 is supposed to work just fine with simulcast. I'm curious to see how my BCD436HP handles it myself. One site is very close to my office, so that should be fine but I think there are two close to where I live and that could be an issue.

More headaches for me attempting to program and listen to this system when it goes live.

jwyke

Premium Subscriber
Holding off on purchasing Uniden SDS100

My sense is that Whistler may be looking hard at the SDS100, and may come out with something better. In any case, I usually resist buying something until it gets refined by the fires of front-end buyers. By the time Norman gets its act together (???), I will be better positioned to make a decision on what to get.

plaws

Premium Subscriber
My sense is that Whistler may be looking hard at the SDS100, and may come out with something better. In any case, I usually resist buying something until it gets refined by the fires of front-end buyers. By the time Norman gets its act together (???), I will be better positioned to make a decision on what to get.

Bought a BCD396T right when it came out (had one of the first in Chicagoland). Not disappointed.

Bought a BCD396XT right when it came out. Not disappointed.

Bought a BCD436HP right when it came out. Um ...

It's OK now, but wow. Teething pains. Sheesh. So no SDS100 for me any time soon. Plus, you know, no money. :-D

One of the tricks with digital simulcast is being close to one of the transmitters. Tough or impossible when mobile, a little easier at home though you might need a Yagi.

wx5uif

Premium Subscriber
So far liking the SDS100. Works very well with Tulsa's OKWIN P25 when compared to both the 436 and 536.

Still a couple issues to iron out, firmware wise... and hopefully no surprises in a year or so like my 536. (clock battery.)

Last edited:

plaws

Premium Subscriber
So far liking the SDS100. Works very well with Tulsa's OKWIN P25 when compared to both the 436 and 536.

Still a couple issues to iron out, firmware wise... and hopefully no surprises in a year or so like my 536. (clock battery.)

Happy to hear that - keep us posted!

I dug through the ULS listing and came up with these:

Code:

Nothing tricky - they were just repeated for each site. Inputs are 45 MHz below, of course. There are also licenses out for X-band microwave links between the towers. I need to get these in my radio to see if anything is hot yet.

plaws

Premium Subscriber
Are there any antennas and feedlines on the new tower at Jenkins and 9?

Hard to say. I'm thinking not. Certainly no microwave dish. I need to drive closer.

Blinky-blink works fine, but it would have to.

Code:
3428 Jenkins Avenue
15295 State Highway #9
1/4 mile East of intersection between 24NE and Robinson
319 NW 36TH AVE
84th Avenue SE (0.2 M South of E Cedar Lane Road),
3280 108th Avenue NE

I've seen the one on 84th. I assume the one on 108th is the current east tower of OKWIN Site 40. 24th Ave NE and E Robinson is, I think, the new water tower east of Hall Park. Dunno where the others are, exactly, but ULS has the lat/lon so if one was enterprising, it wouldn't be hard to find on teh google.

Edit: Looks like if you click on the locations on the ULS page, the page has a human-readable name for each location:

Code:
Location 1 - ANIMAL WALFARE (Fixed)
Location 2 - CALYPSO COVE (Fixed)
Location 3 - ECC WATER TOWER (Fixed)
Location 4 - HEALTHPLEX H20 (Fixed)
Location 5 - JIM BLUE CREEK (Fixed)
Location 6 - NORTH EAST TOWER II (Fixed)

n5bew1

Hard to say. I'm thinking not. Certainly no microwave dish. I need to drive closer.

Blinky-blink works fine, but it would have to.

Code:
3428 Jenkins Avenue
15295 State Highway #9
319 NW 36TH AVE
3280 108th Avenue NE

I've seen the one on 84th. I assume the one on 108th is the current east tower of OKWIN Site 40. 24th Ave NE and E Robinson is, I think, the new water tower east of Hall Park. Dunno where the others are, exactly, but ULS has the lat/lon so if one was enterprising, it wouldn't be hard to find on teh google.

Edit: Looks like if you click on the locations on the ULS page, the page has a human-readable name for each location:

Code:
It is hard to tell what is on the new Hall Park water tower as it has had a couple antennas of some kind on it for a while. At first it looked like the west side of town was without a tower the Healthplex water tower should take care of that on into the 10 mile flats.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
I'm curious to see how my BCD436HP handles it myself. One site is very close to my office, so that should be fine but I think there are two close to where I live and that could be an issue.
You're an ideal candidate for the Comet CH32 Miracle Baby antenna!
https://www.amazon.com/Comet-Original-CH-32-Tri-Band-Handheld/dp/B00OI3PY1U

31W203ZTA9L.jpg

More than enough for the close tower, and the smaller size may help minimize interference from the more distant towers. This is a case where less is better. I'm in the midst of a 9 tower system and it works great for me!

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Trunk Tracking

Yes, you can buy a Whistler, but it won't track on some systems.

jwyke

Premium Subscriber
Whistler

How do you know the new Whistler "won't track on some systems?" It's not even released yet!! Did you read my comment??

WXVOST

Premium Subscriber
The city has a Public Safety Sales Tax that they cannot spend fast enough (Norman's reserve fire apparatus is newer than your town's front-line pieces)

True, but let's be honest, Norman's fleet was in pretty bad shape up until a few years ago. Better to get everything in order while times are good. Squad 7's new rescue-pumper is all but finished up at Pierce. They'll take delivery in a few weeks. A purchase order for a new pumper-tanker is being placed in the next month (as the new fiscal year rolls around). It'll be a tandem-axle Arrow XT going to Station 6. 1500 GPM with a 3000-gallon tank. Station 5 will get a duplicate a few years later. The current and relatively new Engine 6 will become Engine 9, which will replace their current rig (ex-E2). Current Engine 6 was built with the WUI in mind which Station 9 has to also deal with. New crew-cab brush units will arrive at 5 and 6 by the fall. Those will take over medical call runs and keep the engines safely tucked away. Anyway, I digress...

The new radio system is anticipated to go live in May 2019. A part shortage has become an issue with the current radio system. They took parts from the transmitter at Sarkey's tower and that'll hold them over until the new system is online.

plaws

Premium Subscriber
New crew-cab brush units will arrive at 5 and 6 by the fall. Those will take over medical call runs and keep the engines safely tucked away. Anyway, I digress...

Not a digression in a department that runs 97% EMS calls (per city stats). It's about time! Of course, they could actually triage but that would cut the run numbers. And don't look too hard at the 3% of "fire calls" because if you subtract the alarm system malfunctions people might start to question why we spend so much on fire apparatus when there are almost no actual fire calls (ones with actual fire).

But this is all a digression. We're getting a new, probably gold-plated, radio system and it will be fun to hear all the testing and whatnot. Since they are withdrawing from OKWIN (so the rumor mill says) it will be interesting to see if any of the RMA/SMA channels are left connected. Granted, those are mostly used on football days and I have no idea if OU will be staying with OKWIN or moving to the new city system. Of course, if they are robbing parts from the west tower of Site 40, I guess I have my answer ...

plaws

Premium Subscriber
Code:
3428 Jenkins Avenue
15295 State Highway #9
319 NW 36TH AVE
3280 108th Avenue NE

Code:

ECC WATER TOWER is the newish water tank across Robinson from the water treatment plant. This is the same location where they want to put the new dispatch office (with its underpaid and overworked dispatchers).

Interestingly, if you look at the microwave licenses (WRBS487 WRBS491 WRBS493 WRBS499 WRBS510 WRBS511 WRBS512) you will see another location (with microwave paths) that runs out to ... Mustang. No idea. The rest all make sense. Not all are X-band, either, some are C-band.

And dishes are going up at "ANIMAL WALFARE" - saw them today when I went by.

Status
Not open for further replies.