Trunk88 OKWIN WIN! WIN!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
I had the bug bite me saying to try Trunk88. Took me 3 hours to figure it out and completely make the OKWIN Site 8 system working. After Googling around for the current band plan I found a post here at RR and I copied it and pasted it into TRUNK88.CTL file in its proper spot over writing the original. Much to my surprise my self taught adventure resulted in WIN! on OKWIN! (I am a pleb, I know LOL!)

Attachments

• -2018-sep-10-001.jpg
    -2018-sep-10-001.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 527

SCPD

QRT
How is the audio from that sound?

I am of the opinion I say the audio is clean to my ears. I had to turn on filtering out the Low Stream Data (300bd) to not hear that low pitch rumbling through the bass woofer. Both RTL-SDR dongle's have TCXO's built into them too. Had to set PPM to 0. 97-100% control channel decodes all the time and audio is good.

If you live in the Oklahoma City area and have two RTL-SDR dongles with both having 0.5 ppm TCXO's I can send you my files to make yours work. I brought the 800MHZ reband bandplan up to date. I can only send the CTL files. Just drop them into your Trunk88 folder, overwrite the originals. If you want to try it.

yancmo

Hello simplio! If you don't mind me asking, why do you choose to use Trunk88 over newer Trunking software?

I ask because I am very new to trunking with SDR and no very little about it. I use DSD and UT for listening. I'm always looking to learn more about it.

I'd also, love to get a copy of those files to play around with if you don't mind.

Thanks,
Yancy

S

simpilo

Hello simplio! If you don't mind me asking, why do you choose to use Trunk88 over newer Trunking software?

I ask because I am very new to trunking with SDR and no very little about it. I use DSD and UT for listening. I'm always looking to learn more about it.

I'd also, love to get a copy of those files to play around with if you don't mind.

Thanks,
Yancy

Oh yes good question

Trunk88 displays the active talk group in the main program title bar making it easier for RadioFeed to display which talk group is actually active accurately.
It also filters out the Low Speed Data on a Motorola system. That low rumble sound.
It doesn't have a installer. Just extract, configure, make a shortcut. and go.
Sounds good.
Very customizable in ways Unitrunker won't.
Easily backed-up in its current configuration to another drive for future 'reinstalls'.

There are alerts as well for things like a beep on the active talk group, BSI alerts when each repeater sends it's CW Identifier per FCC rules timely. I turn those off because I stream it and those beeps will annoy some.

Trunk88 has a lot of potential. It needs a Project 25 Phase II compatibility update. DSDPlus can handle digital voice. I have no information what slicerwizard is doing with it.

Turner101

Premium Subscriber
Oh yes good question

Trunk88 displays the active talk group in the main program title bar making it easier for RadioFeed to display which talk group is actually active accurately.
It also filters out the Low Speed Data on a Motorola system. That low rumble sound.
It doesn't have a installer. Just extract, configure, make a shortcut. and go.
Sounds good.
Very customizable in ways Unitrunker won't.
Easily backed-up in its current configuration to another drive for future 'reinstalls'.

There are alerts as well for things like a beep on the active talk group, BSI alerts when each repeater sends it's CW Identifier per FCC rules timely. I turn those off because I stream it and those beeps will annoy some.

Trunk88 has a lot of potential. It needs a Project 25 Phase II compatibility update. DSDPlus can handle digital voice. I have no information what slicerwizard is doing with it.

Apparently RR is not letting me send PM's I keep getting an error so I dont know if they are getting to you or not but if your able to can you email me the config files you were talking about and willing to offer if you dont mind? email is wx4tcc@gmail.com

Thanks!

S

simpilo

Apparently RR is not letting me send PM's I keep getting an error so I dont know if they are getting to you or not but if your able to can you email me the config files you were talking about and willing to offer if you dont mind? email is wx4tcc@gmail.com

Thanks!

The reason is the simplio doesn't have a email associated with it because I deactivated it under a misunderstanding and had to recreate this name. simpilo. I will send you my Trunk88 config.

Here is my config https://pastebin.com/8rGCqdWQ

Just copy the contents to a new Trunk88.CTL plain text document. Oh and delete
092C, "092C.CTL" you may not have 092C.CTL it will try to find it. If it isn't there It'll error.

Last edited:
S

simpilo

Ponders if Turner101 was able to use my CTL I shared via pastebin

Turner101

Premium Subscriber
Ponders if Turner101 was able to use my CTL I shared via pastebin

I havent been able to try it just yet until this afternoon. Waiting on a second sdr dongle that got delayed in shipping. By the looks if ghe file its already set up for two dongles, correct?
Ill be using two R820T2 RTL2832U dongles.

Thank you for the file!

S

simpilo

Instructions

I havent been able to try it just yet until this afternoon. Waiting on a second sdr dongle that got delayed in shipping. By the looks if ghe file its already set up for two dongles, correct?
Ill be using two R820T2 RTL2832U dongles.

Thank you for the file!

Yes. The CTL I put on pastebin has been edited with these changes to make it work assuming both your dongles have 0.5ppm TCXO's inside them. Nooelec dongles are 0.5ppm. RTL-SDR blog is 1ppm.

1)Band plan updated for current bandplan do not change.

2)Lines containing device type, and device number and VC is set to 2832 do not change.

3)ALL alerts have been 'muted'. If you want the alerts back I can help you if you want.

4) Low Data Stream (300baud) filtering is enabled.

Back up the original TRUNK88.CTL by adding .bak behind it
Make sure that trunk88.ctl is ALL caps. Rename it to TRUNK88.CTL if not.
You can import the unitrunker xml which should be Motorola092C.xml for the OKWIN system. Load Unitrunker to export the OKWIN system to your desktop first. Put that file in Trunk88 folder

Load Trunk88.exe

Please look at the bottom part of Trunk88 to do these steps:

1) Press the 'F' key then enter 860.9375 then press enter. It will start populating information it reads from the control channel. I hope you live in OKC for this to work. You will see on the right lines of bits and some that say 'bad'. That is normal. It takes a few seconds for it to completely read the Control channel data.

2) Click on the Window Title to be sure it is the window in focus. At the bottom where it says 'Command:" Press the UP arrow key till you see' System Menu" then press enter. A new field will appear below that then press the DOWN arrow key until you see "Import UT XML File System" press enter. A new field appears below that.
Type in Motorola092C.xml then press enter. It should populate all information in that file.

3) In case you see weird frequencies you need to apply the current bandplan. Press ESC key to make sure your at the main Command prompt. Repeat the same procedure to get to the ' System Menu' then press the UP arrow key until you see 'Apply Current Bandplan". Press enter, it should populate according to the bandplan. Compare it to RR SID 844 or my image above. Should only be 16 frequencies but it takes a bit of time for Trunk88 to finish learning them all. RR database shows 17 frequencies for Site 8. Unitrunker and Trunk88 both show 16 similar frequencies. RR database SID 844 needs updated.

There will be a greyed out frequency 853.3750. that's channel 13. The RIB for that channel has been malfunctioning. It will be dead until OKWIN IT's can fix it. Nothing we can do about it because it's a OKWIN technical burp.

You will see 'BSI' from time to time throughout the session. Its only those frequencies ID'ing themselves in morse code. The alerts for that is very annoying because it keeps going until all 16 frequencies have ID'ed. BSI alerts are muted.

For shutting down Trunk88 do this all the time. these keys in sequence. 'ESC' 'Q' 'Y'

Second time starting Trunk88 should be pressing 'S' then Enter.

If more help needed I'll reply. Also slicerwizard might just pop up and reply too...:)

Last edited:

Turner101

Premium Subscriber
I live in Moore but Site 8 is heard loud and clear in Moore.
The two dongles I bought have 1.0ppm
I have not used UniTrunker yet either but plan to use that to monitor the new OKC P25 Phase II system.
I dont have an xml file for the moto system yet but I watched a highly detailed video on youtube on how to setup unitrunker so Im going to use his guide and our frequencies and see what happens. Ill holler if I cant get UniTrunker working. Thanks for your details response!

Turner101

Premium Subscriber
Your config file is giving me an error saying the ctl is damaged with no EOF found?

S

simpilo

Your config file is giving me an error saying the ctl is damaged with no EOF found?

This needs to be at the bottom of the CTL..You may have deleted to much or didnt copy the whole thing because it's there.

;;[EOF]

Turner101

Premium Subscriber
This needs to be at the bottom of the CTL..You may have deleted to much or didnt copy the whole thing because it's there.

;;[EOF]

Thats the weird thing...it is

EDIT: If i load the original CTL file and open it and set CC device type to 0 and select the CABLE Output it opens but of course nothing is decoding. When I change it to a 2 for SDR without changing anything else it opens a blank cmd window.

EDIT2: So I put the original file back and opened up your file and edited the original one to match. I got down to the band plan and ran trunk88 before changing that and gave me a blank cmd window. I edited the band plan to match yours and re-ran trunk88 and thats when it gave me the EOF missing error. I guess the band plan is messing it up somehow....But now even with the band plan unaltered and left default and with the device type set to 2 (SDR) it opens a blank cmd window. I am guessing the file isnt configured correctly for my dongles.
Here are the dongles I am using (x2)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B011HVUEME/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I do know the dongles are working correctly because UniTrunker can decode OKWIN just fine tho I do have some questions on that but I will PM you those after we get this trunk88 issue fixed.

Last edited:

Turner101

Premium Subscriber
I restarted the computer and now only one dongle works lol
im going to bed lol

S

simpilo

I restarted the computer and now only one dongle works lol
im going to bed lol

Let's try it this way. Let me just send you my whole entire Trunk88 folder.

Trunk88

Doing it this way you should just be able to press 'S' then Enter to start it. All you need to do is double click the Trunk88.exe file to load it and not running command arguments. Trunk88 handles that already. That's after you choose the audio device.

If you're on Windows 10 put Trunk88 folder in drive C:\ and not in any other folders run as administrator. I suspect it may be the issue with file permissions. I've been doing this on Windows XP with great success.

It could be serial numbers too.

First run of Trunk88 is choosing which audio device. never us any virtual cables. If you're decoding the P25 voice talk groups It takes more CTL editing. I know this works. Just look at the OSW logs and see all that control channel traffic.

It also could be the CTL file is sensitive about going from one machine to another because it remembers the machine it was first run on and the next machine will be different and it may not like that but we'll see.

Last edited:

Turner101

Premium Subscriber
Let's try it this way. Let me just send you my whole entire Trunk88 folder.

Trunk88

Doing it this way you should just be able to press 'S' then Enter to start it. All you need to do is double click the Trunk88.exe file to load it and not running command arguments. Trunk88 handles that already. That's after you choose the audio device.

If you're on Windows 10 put Trunk88 folder in drive C:\ and not in any other folders run as administrator. I suspect it may be the issue with file permissions. I've been doing this on Windows XP with great success.

It could be serial numbers too.

First run of Trunk88 is choosing which audio device. never us any virtual cables. If you're decoding the P25 voice talk groups It takes more CTL editing. I know this works. Just look at the OSW logs and see all that control channel traffic.

It also could be the CTL file is sensitive about going from one machine to another because it remembers the machine it was first run on and the next machine will be different and it may not like that but we'll see.

We're getting closer, or further depending on how you look at it lol
I downloaded your folder and placed it in the C drive and ran with admin privileges and it seems to be reading the CTL File just fine however now it says Cannot Initialize SDR Device #1

I have read that this MIGHT be because the computer im running has all USB 3.0 ports.

EDIT: Just changed CC SDR Device 1 to a 2 and it loads but if I remember right T88 needs both dongles. I suspect this is because of the windows driver the computer installed automatically when I restarted the computer one just one of my dongles.

FINAL EDIT: It works! I had to change the SDR device number to 3 for whatever reason.

Thank you for your help on this. Ill PM you if I have other questions because I rather not clutter up the board

EDIT: Your PM is not enabled. Is there a way I can contact you?

Last edited:
S

simpilo

We're getting closer, or further depending on how you look at it lol
I downloaded your folder and placed it in the C drive and ran with admin privileges and it seems to be reading the CTL File just fine however now it says Cannot Initialize SDR Device #1

I have read that this MIGHT be because the computer im running has all USB 3.0 ports.

EDIT: Just changed CC SDR Device 1 to a 2 and it loads but if I remember right T88 needs both dongles. I suspect this is because of the windows driver the computer installed automatically when I restarted the computer one just one of my dongles.

FINAL EDIT: It works! I had to change the SDR device number to 3 for whatever reason.

Thank you for your help on this. Ill PM you if I have other questions because I rather not clutter up the board

EDIT: Your PM is not enabled. Is there a way I can contact you?

Just here on the boards. PM's are off because nothing private to talk about. Glad that worked.

Turner101

Premium Subscriber
Have you had much luck decoding the EDACS provoice system okc pd/fd uses on unitrunker?

S

simpilo

Have you had much luck decoding the EDACS provoice system okc pd/fd uses on unitrunker?

Unitrunker decodes the EDACS control channel well on both sites. DSDPlus is required for Provoice. the Oklahoma City sites are analogue and Provoice. I always listen to both.

If you see in my image I have Audio Output set to my sound card and the Digital Output set to VB-Cable. Analogue and Provoice are both on. My preferred way to monitor the Oklahoma City system is to let it 'scan' stopping on talk groups until I hear one that sounds like a interesting happening and press the hold button on the voice receiver until I am ready to let it 'scan' again. Then I press the 'Skip' button. Santa Fe and Hefner talk groups usually are the most held talk groups on the law enforcement side. Embark seems to hold my interest as well.

Attachments

• rtlsdrvoiceut.JPG
    rtlsdrvoiceut.JPG
    44.5 KB · Views: 117
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.