North Bay Police, before encryption

Status
Not open for further replies.

JonathanK

Premium Subscriber
I had the pleasure of listening to North Bay Police in 1997 to about 2001. I was in the Bay just before Thanksgiving 1995 and tuned in for the first time in my hotel room. I recorded the transmissions on cassette, now thrown away and not saved for digital purposes, but I remember car 7 and 111. The squelch tail was a short click for both dispatch and the cruisers. In 1999, the transmitters were updated with more clicks and squeaking sounds.

In 1999, I used to live on the north end of the city, just down the ski hill. I heard a car call 10-7 on Giroux Street, R29. I walked up Giroux Street and saw car 9. For many of those years, 111 and 121 were commonly heard, along with 212 and 313.

I payed attention to the zone coverage and guessed the first digit was the zone, either zone 1, 2, 3, 4 or 5, like Timmins' zones. The 2nd digit was either a 1 or 2, guessing again it was a platoon number or single/duo officers. The last digit was the car number. If the south end of town for North Bay, along Lakeshore Drive was zone 1, they probably matched car 1 with zone 1 to make it 111. The "R" cars were Relief or Rover cars to cover all zones for back up.

You also see some T-100 and T-200 cars, Tango 1 and Tango 2. And occasionaly, you would hear a Charlie or Delta car sign on, thinking it was a Court services car or Detective checking in.

Obviously, since it was encrypted now, can't find out if these are the same callsigns.

Does anyone have any remote idea if my guessing game is correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.