iPod App

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gymbag

Premium Subscriber
Just wondering what is the best ipod app for scanners here in Ontario. Before anyone jumps down my throat about buying a scanner don't bother I already own over 10 of them. I just thought I would try listening on my ipod for a change and see what its all about.

Thanks

VE3JSO

just don't use the free versions if you would want to use it in the background because it won't work you will have to upgrade it so it would plus every now and again the feed would stop and you will get ads think it was called scanner master

supraman762

5-0 radio is ok and free. Scanner+ is better buy costs a few bucks. 5-0 radio doesn't have alpha tagging but S+ does. Both will run in the background. That's my opinion

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9300; en) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.526 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

This audio streaming, can it work on a blackberry?

Please don't bust me for not doing research. I have scanners but am at a hospital ER with my daughter and the wait is long

supraman762

Scanner radio deluxe or sr deluxe is real neat. It doesnt have the options of 5-0 radio but it does support alpha tagging as the other poster said. I'm going to keep it

supraman762

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9300; en) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.526 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

Please don't bust me for not doing research. I have scanners but am at a hospital ER with my daughter and the wait is long

I am not sure on this. I believe that I have seen it done on my feed. I have no idea about blackberrys though, never had one

Gator596

Premium Subscriber

Hey - good luck to both of you at the hospital !

neoengel

I've had success with my blackberry with scanner radio (free, still works past trial date) as well as tunein radio - both work in the background too (can use browser, bbm, text etc while listening).

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber

I'll check this out. Thanks neo and Kris.

Methos

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9800; en) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.706 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

How can you get away with a transmitting cellphone in a hospital? Different rules I guess, anyway there are several apps on App World that can work all but one is geared to one specific community. There are no free ones and I never tried any of them. If you don't care about alpha tagging, you cand go the radioreference's live audio page and just simply open a streaming feed from whereever you want. When the scanner at work is slow or I'm at home, but outside I'll do this, works beautifully. Happy listening.

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber
The rules about c-phones in hospitals is paranoia.

The RF generated by the two way radios carried by building services, police, EMS, security etc... Not to mention the cell site on the roof and the ambulance paging transmitter - WAY more than a cellphone.

Granted, a c-phone is a lot closer to the devices, but when I worked in a hospital, everyone used one. This was back in the 3W analog days too.

Methos

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9800; en) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.706 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

exkalibur said:
The rules about c-phones in hospitals is paranoia.

The RF generated by the two way radios carried by building services, police, EMS, security etc... Not to mention the cell site on the roof and the ambulance paging transmitter - WAY more than a cellphone.

Granted, a c-phone is a lot closer to the devices, but when I worked in a hospital, everyone used one. This was back in the 3W analog days too.

I agree with you on that. Although my security company to which I'm employed has the security at the hospitals and I have it on good authority that repeated offender users of mobiles in ER or Triage that that are confiscated (after multiple warnings of course).

Don't shoot the messenger.....

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber
Shows as $2.99 for me on Blackberry

Only the iPhone version is free. Android and BB costs.

That said, its the best 3 bucks you'll spend on a app anytime soon.

You can even add custom streams, so if you run your own private one, away you go. Unfortunately, there's no means to allow for a password protected stream.

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber

Gator596 said:

Hey - good luck to both of you at the hospital !

Thanks. Just a bad cold for her. Kids sure get sick a lot.

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber

Methos said:
How can you get away with a transmitting cellphone in a hospital? Different rules I guess, anyway there are several apps on App World that can work all but one is geared to one specific community. There are no free ones and I never tried any of them. If you don't care about alpha tagging, you cand go the radioreference's live audio page and just simply open a streaming feed from whereever you want. When the scanner at work is slow or I'm at home, but outside I'll do this, works beautifully. Happy listening.

Have you been to a hospital lately? Everyone is staring and using their phones everywhere.

Its not like the staff want to do any more than what they have to do.

I saw a security guard at Joe Brant but if I had an earpeace or bluetooth, no one would say anything. A lady next to me wss watching some music video for an hour next to me.

Last edited:

ve3jqr

Scanner App

Although it is not generally listed as a Scanner App - I tell people that want to listen to my stream to use TuneIn Radio app as it not only streams commercial radio web stations but also stream all the streams from RadioReference.com. It is a lighter app that works across most of the smart phone platforms.

Status
Not open for further replies.