Update to tafl.mckie.ca (formerly neon.polkaroo.net/~darkwing)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AMcKie

Hi all,

In case you missed it in http://forums.radioreference.com/ontario/243645-master-frequency-list.html, I've taken over hosting and running what used to be http://neon.polkaroo.net/~darkwing/tafl and it's now hosted here:

http://tafl.mckie.ca

(Please update your bookmarks if you haven't already.)

I've used the opportunity to take a suggestion from a forum member to make more data available (only a few fields were displayed out of the dozens that Industry Canada makes available for a given licence), so now you'll see a new link with each licence record letting you see the whole set of data.

I'd like to hear about any more suggestions you might have for making the site better suit your needs.

-Alasdair

ejlwireless

using the database

how do you enter frequencies?

as 1735.000
as 1735MHz

neither worked. Also can you just search by operator in a region or how specific do you need to be. I tried numerous searches and they all failed. not sure what i am doing wrong after i select a region.

Thanks

East_Algoma

mckie : Do you hink it is possible to , take from the TAFL ( your software ) and allow it to be Programed into scanners such as Uniden 996 , etc.

This way I could add so much more..from the diff areas I travel in....and it would also make for an awesome Scanner Freq list to Monitor .

What ya think ??

ps : Nice job....Ive been going to that TAFL for a long while now....THX

AMcKie

how do you enter frequencies?

as 1735.000
as 1735MHz

neither worked. Also can you just search by operator in a region or how specific do you need to be. I tried numerous searches and they all failed. not sure what i am doing wrong after i select a region.

Thanks

Hi. Sorry for taking so long to get back to you.

If you're looking for a particular frequency, use the period. So 1735.000 should have worked if you are certain that there is a record in the TAFL for that frequency in region that you selected. I ran a query for 1735.0 in the Toronto region and got some hits for Globalive wireless.

-A

AMcKie

mckie : Do you hink it is possible to , take from the TAFL ( your software ) and allow it to be Programed into scanners such as Uniden 996 , etc.

This way I could add so much more..from the diff areas I travel in....and it would also make for an awesome Scanner Freq list to Monitor .

What ya think ??

ps : Nice job....Ive been going to that TAFL for a long while now....THX

Firstly, sorry for taking so long to reply.

Next, I don't have a consumer radio scanner so I can't really advise you on how yours can be programmed. The site is mostly meant for quick checks of specific information, rather than being a database of frequencies organized in a way that might be useful to a scanner enthusiast. So I'm afraid there will be some manual work involved.

Thanks for the support!

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9900; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.746 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

I would suggest entering 4 decimal places.

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
And just a reminder to any or all new people looking for frequencies here and on Industry Canada's Spectrum Direct: not ALL frequencies allocated will show up on the search. Some that won't show up are RCMP related frequencies and I believe some EMS/Ambulance frequencies. There are other searches available [talked about on various forums] that show other frequency searches for Canada. Also, I have noticed that this search may display frequencies not related to the frequency being searched.

Last edited:

AMcKie

Now with maps

Hi everyone,

The site now includes a Google Map indicating the position of the transmitter site when you click on the 'details' link. The map is based on the lat/long provided in the TAFL data. Please let me know if you run into any issues with this change.

-A

SCPD

QRT
Not showing freq's under 153.000 Mhz for Northern Ontario

Just posting this here.

Now when I go and do a search for places in Northern Ontario like: Sudbury, Timmins, Sault Ste. Marie, etc, before it would show freq's all the way down to 49.000 Mhz.

Now it only shows freq's starting at 153.000 Mhz. So I dunno if there is a reason why all of those other freq's below 153.000 Mhz are not showing up on the searches anymore on this site.

If there is a reason why they are not showing or if it is just an issue, will it be fixed in the next update next month in September. Let me know.

AMcKie

Hi,

Thanks for the question. It's possible that the frequencies you're looking for are actually filed under a different district office now. I would check the "Ontario: Southwestern Region" as I was able to find some Sudbury frequencies below 150 MHz there.

-A

SCPD

QRT
Ok. Thanks for that. I just checked the Southwestern Region and typed in Sudbury, Chapleau, etc and they are there.

That is weird why the freq's under 153.000 MHz are now under a different district office, when these places don't have anything to do with the Southwestern Region. When these places are in the Northen Region.

It showed all the freq's for these places up until last month (the freq's from 49.000 Mhz all the way up) then after this month's update, when I went to check it again, that is when I noticed those freq's below 153.000 MHz were no longer there, which I found weird.

Is this the way it is going to be from now on, we will have to check another district now just to get those freq's below 153.000 Mhz, for these areas up in Northern Ontario. Or can this be fixed to have all the freq's including the ones below 153.000 Mhz show up for those places for Northern Ontario, so we won't have to check another district to get them.

Let me know.

AMcKie

Is this the way it is going to be from now on, we will have to check another district now just to get those freq's below 153.000 Mhz, for these areas up in Northern Ontario. Or can this be fixed to have all the freq's including the ones below 153.000 Mhz show up for those places for Northern Ontario, so we won't have to check another district to get them.

Although you may be seeing a change from the past based on something Industry Canada has done with its files, the reality is that this is how it has always been - records for a geographical area aren't always handled or filed under the district office that would come first to mind. The instructions for using the site (back when darkwing hosted it) have always suggested checking neighbouring regions for relevant hits.

There's not really anything I can do with the data to reorganize it reliably. Many of the records don't have sufficient geographic references in them to determine which region they "belong" in, and those that do (such as those with addresses or co-ordinates for the transmitter site - which is different from the registrant's address, also not always provided) would require a tremendous amount of guessing and fudging to reorganize programmatically. I certainly sympathize with your predicament, but there's no easy way to "fix" the data in the way you suggest.

However, I have been working on some strategies to offer a different way to search for data that would span across district offices, but it would have to be limited in scope somehow or you would quickly wind up with thousands of hits for your search. Once I get something working, I'll be sure to post a notice on the site's homepage in the "Latest News" section.

Cheers,
-A

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
There's not really anything I can do with the data to reorganize it reliably. Many of the records don't have sufficient geographic references in them to determine which region they "belong" in, and those that do (such as those with addresses or co-ordinates for the transmitter site - which is different from the registrant's address, also not always provided) would require a tremendous amount of guessing and fudging to reorganize programmatically. I certainly sympathize with your predicament, but there's no easy way to "fix" the data in the way you suggest.

The DO is both its own field and has referential meaning in the Frequency Record ID (for when the DO is not necessarily the correct region), but I don't think the downloadable text files include either value - they're in the online searchable version only.

SCPD

QRT
Ok. Thanks for the info.

I will just have to remember when I do want to check something out for places here in Northern Ontario with the freq's below 153.000 MHz, to check it out under the Southwestern District every time.

sudsyjkh

Hi there: first of all thanks for keeping the site/info alive.
Secondly, much like the other posters, I'm having issues finding frequencies. I'm looking for stuff in the city of Ottawa...first I tried the Ontario eastern region, I figured that makes sence and that's where it was always listed on the previous site. A search for simply Ottawa literally brought up a handfull of results. Then I figured I would search for Stock Transportation, being as that was the origional thing I was looking for. I just used the keyword stock...and received no results.
I went thru every region in Ontario as well as the western Quebec and Montreal regions and found nothing in Ottawa for stock. I know they have active licenses here in the city. They were listed on the other site just a couple months ago. I also did searches for many other things that I know have active licenses in ottawa..like lafarge concrete [just using the word farge] etc. Nothing.
Am I doing something wrong or...?
Thanks in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.