Is it London or Michigan?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tilt404

So conditions are kind of favorable once again tonight and I began hearing what I think is London PD again. I programmed in their P25 system :

London Public Safety Trunking System, London, Ontario - Scanner Frequencies

and I've been hearing mainly PD talkgroups, 145, 146 with radio IDs in the 27xxx area and one in the 21xxx area. Trouble is, some is encrypted, some not. Then I thought I heard them say wyandotte hospital, and that's in Wyandotte Michigan not far from me. I just played back the audio file and they definitely said "this is bravo 205 requesting priority 3 traffic to wyandotte hospital".

So I search for the CC (866.464) frequency for the London west site I have programmed in, which is also used in my local Windsor P25 system, and turns out its also used in the massive Michigan Public Safety Communications System. It pops up in many sites there:

Michigan Public Safety Communications System (MPSCS) Trunking System, Statewide, Multi-State - Scanner Frequencies

So my question is this. Last night I saw these TGID/RID's from London pop up while 'searching' (wildcard) on my gre psr800 for my local windsor system. How did they pop on to my local system though? Now I'm seeing London proper TGID's, yet feels like the Michigan system is piggy backing on their transmissions. I thought you would need proper encryption keys to talk on another system though and meet other requirements of the system like step, system ID, site ID and such. Their TGIDs are right for their own systems though, they aren't talking on my system but I can still hear them on it.

I know conditions have been making a mess of things lately, but seems I don't get why I was seeing London TGID's on my Windsor system, and now hearing Wyandotte Michigan on a programmed London system. The London system I have in isn't even in search mode (wildcard), its just scanning the TGID's from the London Public Safety system. Yet audio from Michigan seems to be entering into both London and Windsor's P25 system.

Very confusing. I'm just wondering if someone can explain why this is happening?

Last edited:

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
Sounds like you are getting a lot of stuff all mixed together on shared common frequencies. 145 & 146, using RID's in the 21xxx and 27xxx range are definitely London Police, but they are 100% encrypted, 100% of the time. So any voice you are hearing on these same frequencies is coming from somewhere else, likely MPSCS.

tilt404

Thanks for confirming the RIDs. Seems like it will stop on a TGID with encrypted audio showing a london TGID, then when they stop talking, the michigan system will pop on, maybe since the scanner has stopped on that voice channel and if something else talks on it, it comes up. But you would think the P25 system would prevent that from happening across different systems. Maybe I'm only hearing it since i'm using a scanner and their actual radios would prevent this.

Last edited:

tilt404

It really sucks living on the border here. So hard to scan. On one frequency now, and 5 or more tones keep popping up for different things from schools to department store LP's. Talk about a over crowded airspace. I guess that's why there has been a need for narrow banding in the US.

se

Hi.

I actually heard and saw something like 'LPD HQ Maint' or close to that light up on my HP-1 within the last day so I actually think it was LPD maintenance. Its been said before that LPD Maint can come through in the clear. I could very well be wrong though. Forts Do you still have an HP-1?

Sheldon.

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
I wish I was able to "dx scan." Marginal improvement with this docile weather pattern, i.e. it allows me to hear the control channels of Simcoe's tower and Mowat but not good enough to allow me to follow whats going on.

This weather pattern will drastically change by the end of the week, there is even talk of a storm that might even drop SNOW on the tropics here with the usual lake-effect blast as the winds shift to a more W-NW.

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
Yes, I still have my HP-1. And yes, there are a few LPS talkgroups that are in the clear... Fleet, Custodial, Maintenance etc. They are in the database.

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
It's ok... It's certainly not the type of scanner that I'd buy for my 'front line' radio though. I find the interface is too clunky to get to certain things quickly, and not being able to enter things directly from a keypad drives me nuts. That being said, it's a great radio for sitting on my dresser and just listening to in the background, and the recording feature is worth it's weight in gold. If I had to I wouldn't buy one again.. not that there is anything fundamentally wrong with them, it's just not my preference. I like a keypad and direct access to everything within a few key strokes.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
I mainly use mine while travelling. I used to spend a lot of time preprogramming a scanner before leaving on vacation but not anymore.

tilt404

I have the psr800 also with little in ways of a keypad but does have 7 button controls, no number keypad though but I find controlling it very easy and love it. Like forts said, the recording feature mine and the home patrol share is fantastic! I like how small mine is though for portability, but I could see the home patrol being easier to use and see in a vehicle.

wheelerg

Premium Subscriber
I mainly use mine while travelling. I used to spend a lot of time preprogramming a scanner before leaving on vacation but not anymore.

IMO, this is where the HP1 really shines, its the way to go for people who travel and dont want to spend there time programming, i used the GPS puck and set my range to about 20 and it would do all the work for me..... have 3 996T's and a 396T and HP and the HP is a radio i would not do without. my 2 cents

IdleMonitor

Premium Subscriber
Is the HP really that good as a mobile radio? I'm quite used to using my 396t for mobile use haven't really thought about another radio for mobile use. Looks like it's fairly compact though for a vehicle.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
No, the HP-1 is not really suitable as a mobile scanner. I find the audio too low and the display hard to read. I usually end up cranking the volume, brightness and contrast. However, it beats reprogramming my scanner every time I travel. I know the database is no older than 6 days.

I was looking forward to the PSR900 from GRE. I had the opportunity to play with one and felt it made a much better mobile scanner then the HP-1.

I do like the HP-1 for hotel and poolside monitoring though. Pop in the closest city and I'm all set. No downloading from RR.

wheelerg

Premium Subscriber
for the HP i just ran an 3.5 cord to my aux plug and ran the sound thru the stereo and it works fine, lots of volume that way, just no radio music.....

Status
Not open for further replies.