Looking for expertise

Status
Not open for further replies.

AllThumbs

Looking for recommendations on someone in Ottawa or area to program or troubleshoot a Uniden BC780XLT Trunk Tracker III. This scanner is used primarily to hear fire calls and was working well until *someone* fiddled with it. Seems to still have all frequencies loaded and it will lock in on individual frequencies such as OC Transpo, but I can't get it to scan. I've followed the troubleshooting tips in the manual, with no success. Very possible I'm missing something obvious here. I don't have much experience with trunk scanners, and I can see from the manual that these are plenty sophisticated units. All and any ideas/suggestions welcome. Thanks!

DaveH

Yep, I think it's just out of trunk mode and back to conventional. While
in search or scan, press TRUNK button; hopefully that will get it trunking
again, Look for TRUNK in the display, next to the E (for EDACS).

Dave

AllThumbs

Thanks, Dave and David. It is in trunk mode and scanning nine banks, I also hit Search, which the manual seems to suggest (though maybe I have this wrong), And it is showing E next to TRUNK in the display. I see it lock onto frequencies, but just don't hear anything (and it's not muted). Re ProScan, will I need a special cable to connect the scanner to my laptop?

davidmc36

Premium Subscriber
....Re ProScan, will I need a special cable to connect the scanner to my laptop?
From the manual:

You can transfer the programmed data to and from another BC780XLT scanner using an
RS232C Cable (9 pin to 9 pin) (not supplied). Connect the cable between each scanner’s
REMOTE jacks. See “Clone Mode” on page 66.You can also upload or download the
programmed data to or from a PC using an optional PC interface kit available through your
local electronics store.

So I am not sure if the "PC interface kit" is a special cable with the Tx and Rx pins reversed or if it is just a straight through 9 pin cable.

They seem to say here that it is just a straight through for PC connection but I think the manual indicates the other way around. The "special" cable is for PC connection.

At any rate unless you have an older computer with Comm Port you will need a Serial-USB converter, can be bought for 5 bucks in places.

Let me see what else I can find.

DaveH

Thanks, Dave and David. It is in trunk mode and scanning nine banks, I also hit Search, which the manual seems to suggest (though maybe I have this wrong), And it is showing E next to TRUNK in the display. I see it lock onto frequencies, but just don't hear anything (and it's not muted). Re ProScan, will I need a special cable to connect the scanner to my laptop?

Puzzling...any way you could post an image of your display, while it's locked on a frequency?

Do you see any TGs or I-call IDs displayed (which OC Transpo uses quite a bit) or
just frequencies?

Sounds like what might happen if the LCN programming order is wrong, not sure how that
would have happened if it was OK before this (unless somebody tried to reprogram the
frequencies and got them mixed up).

Programming software is fine, but are you able to program manually (reason I ask is
some people get it done by someone else...)?

In manual mode can you get squelch noise i.e. rule out a problem with the audio
output/speaker.

Dave

davidmc36

Premium Subscriber
Yes it is just a straight thru cable. I still use my 780 quite a bit. Great radio!
(Hijack apology here..)

Out of curiosity, will the 780 track the digital TG's on EDACS?

Looking for a solution to run DSD with one scanner. My old 245 seems to not even trunk on EDACS anymore.

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
You say you see it lock onto frequencies... I'll assume you are seeing it grab the control channel, which is good... but no activity beyond that? Your talkgroups didn't get erased or locked out did they? As mentioned above I think your best bet would be to dump the contents of the radio and let us take a peek at it.

DaveH

If you are in trunked scan mode and press MAN, can you see any programmed TGs, and
by rotating the selector knob, can you scroll through them?

Dave

DaveH

If you are in trunked scan mode and press MAN, can you see any programmed TGs, and
by rotating the selector knob, can you scroll through them?

Dave

And further...when in trunked manual mode above i.e. parked on a TG, can you enter an
analog TG, a usually busy one like 225, 743, 756 etc., and wait; and can you hear
activity? If so do you miss parts of the message (indicating LCN problem)?

You can overwrite the TG you punched in, then re-enter it, or find a vacant spot (if any).

Due to increased MDT use there are times I hear little or no OFS activity on
some TGs for considerable time.

Dave

DaveH

(Hijack apology here..)

Out of curiosity, will the 780 track the digital TG's on EDACS?

Looking for a solution to run DSD with one scanner. My old 245 seems to not even trunk on EDACS anymore.

No tracking of EDACS digital TGs. Ironically, the 780 tracks Moto digital TGs
which we mostly don't need, although people with DSD and no digital scanner
might find it useful.

In any case, doesn't affect me, not a cop listener much since Nov. 1997 (before
which Ottawa Police were analog, and you could sort-of scan them). I barely listen
to OPP, mostly traffic stops and domestics.

Dave

Last edited:

Jammin_Jay

As apart from the regular ofs tgs you might want
To plug in the vr frequencies, you just never
Know when they may be in use.
Also Ottawa fire and gatineau fire patch together on tgs
For Ottawa river rescues.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.