1RWN

Status
Not open for further replies.

simcoescan

Has anyone ever heard of 1rwn.com ??? Im thinking of applying to be a dispatcher but not sure what anyone here has to say about them.

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber
They're a good service...I used to "dispatch" for them, but they've changed their rules a little bit. They require a certain number of "dispatches" a month, however there's quite a few users around here.

But don't let that stop you - it's very informative.

simcoescan

cool, thanks for the reply. I have also heard rumours that one of their affiliates which is a two way radio network is thinking of putting up some repeaters in the GTA for the dispatchers to send stuff on and for everyone to talk with each other.

Does that sound like a viable thing and would people in the GTA actually use it?

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber
There used to be the GTAA Fire Buff's repeater on UHF, no idea how active that was. There's a similar system out there in Toronto that sees a bit of activity here and there.

I don't think putting up the repeaters would be worth it...using a program like Zello and setting up a private room however, makes total sense.

grimcity

I've dispatched on both 1rwn and Incident Page Network (IPN).

I prefer IPN much more then 1rwn, as 1rwn I found to be less accurate and full of coded messages.

IPN's site is Incidentpage.net

Best of luck.

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber
Keep in mind however that IPN cannot be delivered via e-mail. They'll only send via pager (not available in this area) or SMS.

Older customers could use email, but that isn't allowed with new activation. I subscribed to it a few years ago and accidentally let my subscription lapse - when I signed up again, they said no more email allowed because too many people were forwarding it to friends and what not.

IdleMonitor

Premium Subscriber
I've been with IPN since 2003 and I've used both methods. Currently receiving them via email to my cell phone.

IPN is a great source too, there's usually a decent enough amount of notifications sent out for Ontario on a regular basis.

Keep in mind however that IPN cannot be delivered via e-mail. They'll only send via pager (not available in this area) or SMS.

Older customers could use email, but that isn't allowed with new activation. I subscribed to it a few years ago and accidentally let my subscription lapse - when I signed up again, they said no more email allowed because too many people were forwarding it to friends and what not.

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber
Idle, that's because you're an existing member. But, a new signup cannot get emails.

For an extra fee, they offer an E-Mail Carbon Copy service however they are delayed and not real-time.

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber
I sent an email asking about email vs SMS delivery and this is the reply I got:

-----
IPN Policy requires that all incidents are to be sent directly to your wireless texting device.

If you are looking to have alerts sent to an email address we apologize for the inconvenience. This policy promotes a more secure and efficient means of processing alerts and notifications to you.
-----

So in my opinion, IPN is a terrible service if you are a NEW member. Do yourself a favour and go with 1RWN.

Gator596

Premium Subscriber
Never knew these services existed. Thanks for bringing them up!
I wish they offered a "free trial" for a month or three. I might be inclined to buy if I knew what they actually delivered.

simcoescan

Im on 1RWN now...i really like it so far and get notified of stuff in the area too for being a "dispatcher"!!!! You guys should sign up.

KevMuskoka

I think Metrowide "was" the GTAA Fire Buff's system, but I could be wrong. I know some guys that would know, if nobody here does.

As for putting up repeaters, I do believe 1RWN's "New England Citywide" did do some investigating and found the cost to be too much, it's much easier for them to put up repeaters in the US than it is here. So, while they were looking at it about a year ago, it wasn't going to work.

simcoescan

I think Metrowide "was" the GTAA Fire Buff's system, but I could be wrong. I know some guys that would know, if nobody here does.

As for putting up repeaters, I do believe 1RWN's "New England Citywide" did do some investigating and found the cost to be too much, it's much easier for them to put up repeaters in the US than it is here. So, while they were looking at it about a year ago, it wasn't going to work.

Thats too bad. I know myself a few other friends would pretty much pay anything to have a system like that here. :( Do you know anyone around NECW Kev?? If so, let them know :)

KevMuskoka

They won't be interested. Even some of the people on the former Metrowide/GTMAA system acknowledge that it'd be too much to install/maintain.

Might as well just use text messaging or call people.

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber
Airtime on a commercial system is just too expensive, and a repeater is too expensive to maintain as well. Demand wise - would there be many people? Back in the day when the Metrowide repeater was up, how active was it?

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Back in the 90's when i was a member it was fairly active. I don't believe it was a shared repeater. Never heard any activity other than Metrowide on it.

When cellphones were relatively scarce and email when mobile was a rarity, Metrowide served a useful purpose.

Command30

I believe that the Box 12 canteen has a dedicated channel - but there is no metrowide as it used to previously exist.

Last I heard, there was a metrowide group available on an iPhone app. Not sure which app it is, but it's similar to Nextel PTT. Invite only AFAIK.

Status
Not open for further replies.