CB

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
Hey everyone happy labour day does anybody know of any CB freqs That i listen too on my PSR 800?

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
Punch them all in, you might actually hear something.

CB hasnt been all that relevant in pretty much 30 years (although there might be many rag-chewers who dispute this) but you never know.

N4JKD

Amateur Extra
CB is primarily used by truck drivers and rednecks (no offense to anyone), and is not monitored much in the home anymore. You may come across someone who has a CB in their vehicle while traveling that isn't a truck driver, but kinda hard to find. I will say that it is nice to have one in the car on a long trip because you can get info on traffic bottlenecks, and where police are.

Jason Dailey
N4JKD

SCPD

QRT
Thanks guys yeah my 800 has a Service search feature and i scanned it for a minute or two didnt really hear anything I was expecting some chatter instead i got nothing LOL :)

SCPD

QRT
I spoke to soon I guess getting static on Ch.20 its saying "AM" didnt know they used AM.

02blackss

Premium Subscriber
Quite often you will get ALOT of skip depending on the weather conditions. Some of these guys down south are running huge amplifiers. Channel 6 can be quite busy...but its usually just trash talk.

Funny thing is..if you go over to certain parts of europe, CB's are hugely popular. I go to poland every year for a month to visit the father in-law....
You can walk into any chain store and find an entire section of CB's and accessories. It's like a flashback to radioshack in the 80's / early 90's.

Out of 10 cars you see, I would say more then half have CB's in them....

Jason

Last edited:

KB7MIB

Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (BREW; Opera Mini/6.0.3/27.2338; U; en) Presto/2.8.119 320X240 LG VN530)

You'll hear more with a proper CB antenna. A stock scanner antenna just won't pull in all the signals due to the wavelength of the band.
And yes, CB radio in North America mainly uses AM, but there is also some SSB useage. Some other countries allow FM, but the US and Canada do not.

N4JKD

Amateur Extra
Quite often you will get ALOT of skip depending on the weather conditions. Some of these guys down south are running huge amplifiers. Channel 6 can be quite busy...but its usually just trash talk.

Funny thing is..if you go over to certain parts of europe, CB's are hugely popular. I go to poland every year for a month to visit the father in-law....
You can walk into any chain store and find an entire section of CB's and accessories. It's like a flashback to radioshack in the 80's / early 90's.

Out of 10 cars you see, I would say more then half have CB's in them....

Jason

I have heard that they are popular in Europe. As far as channel 6, I remember remember the fall and winter months in Indiana, you would hear guys down in Florida and all along the gulf coast running their amps and talking a bunch of gibberish. It was that was on channel 19 sometimes. Since I got my ham license in 2010, I have not been on CB one time since.

There are still many gas stations, like Pilot or Flying J, there is a whole section dedicated to CB radios, antennas, coax, mounts, etc, and quite impressive. Anyone who says that CB is dead in America hasn't turned on a CB radio in some time. It is just as much alive as 2 meters or the 70cm ham radio bands are.

Jason, N4JKD

VE3JSO

Anyone who says that CB is dead in America hasn't turned on a CB radio in some time. It is just as much alive as 2 meters or the 70cm ham radio bands are.

Jason, N4JKD

well that depends in the area your in i find it in sarnia that the 2m bands are more active then cb i have not heard any traffic on cb for a while mean while i hear traffic on 2 m at least once i day

unlisted

They are quite popular in Alberta and Saskatchewan.. most the trucks with lift kits on them (and there is a considerable amount of those) have CB radios in them.

KCA6YU

King Charles Adam 6 Young Union
CB is pretty active, as in turns or skip. Once in a while you will hear local traffic, but mostly skip.

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
Let us know if you hear 2 words per minute on crappy band that isn't profanity.

Status
Not open for further replies.