Bluetooth Transmitter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gymbag

Premium Subscriber
I've been seeing a little bit of information on bluetooth transmitters, I kind of understand it but would certainly like to understand some more. Does anyone use these devices on their scanners? What would be a good one to purchase? How far apart can they be? I guess I'm just looking for some more info on these products. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

wtp

not me but someone real close

about two years ago i got one for my girlfriend, she has a 396xt. got the unit on amazon and will try to find the model number. it works great she has paired it with headphones,the wireless on the entertainment center and a little portable speaker. range varies 30ft with headphones 6 ft with the little speaker. we duoble sided taped it to the radio. also it was a stereo transmitter (to match the headphone jack on the radio)
so yes it works now go have fun.

Chrome69

Premium Subscriber
I use to use a Jabra Wireless A210 on a 396 and it worked well range wasn't very far maybe 30 ft from the device.
a210.jpg

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
I've often thought about doing this as well... The transmitters can be found pretty cheap on eBay, DealExtreme etc etc.

Chrome69

Premium Subscriber
It worked pretty good, but i got out of scanners and into Motorola radios in the end... But it worked good in the car with the windows down and moon roof open so you can hear good...

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
That system looks quite bulky to me... especially the headset/mic. I bet it's not cheap either....

I have to need to TX with it, so I think I'll still look at the cheaper bluetooth transmitters that will work with any ole' BT receiver I have kicking around.

questnz

It would be more convenient if the manufacturers build BT into the radios and scanners. It cost a fraction of the external "arrangements" for BT chip, battery drain would also insignificant especially with BT on and off button and 2-3 people could enjoy scanner on the Air Show via BT receiver! Cellphones have it no reason why Radios don't have it.

mgolden2

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.1.1; en-us; HTC One X Build/JRO03C) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/534.30)

Don't some of the Yaesu HTs have Bluetooth built in?

Chrome69

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.1.1; en-us; HTC One X Build/JRO03C) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/534.30)

Don't some of the Yaesu HTs have Bluetooth built in?

I know some cobra CB's had Bluetooth, i actual thought they passed a law a few years ago that would force these companies to get the hands free built into the radios. Not sure if it passed or not in Canada but they were talking about it... It would be nice to have in radios to say the least.

Chrome69

Premium Subscriber
All ten Provinces have some form of hand-held device ban.

CAA Distracted Driving

Most are worded something like "Handheld electronic communication device"

Yes but their was talk of getting the CRTC to get the radio makers (Uniden, Motorola, kenwood etc) to make their mobile devices hands free. Guess it was dropped later for just a hand held device ban.... Mostly the 2 way radios they were after.

VE6E0

Yes, some Yaesu mobiles and handhelds have the ability to use BT, either by it being built in or with an option board. You can use VOX or tap the headset to transmit. I personally don't use the VOX when driving, to keep the repeaters clean....

Also some Motorola's have BT capabilites, though the BT ear pieces are pretty pricey. Can't recall what the kit for my APX cost, but IIRC around $250 or so.

Cheers

emercer

yea from what i read in the rac web site that they extended the exemption

Time-limited exemption for amateur radio operators
13. (1) Drivers who hold a valid radio operator certificate issued under the Radiocommunication Act (Canada) may drive a motor vehicle on a highway while holding or using a two-way radio. O. Reg. 366/09, s. 13 (1), O. Reg. 253/12, s. 3 (1).
(2) This section is revoked on January 1, 2018. O. Reg. 366/09, s. 13 (2), O. Reg. 253/12, s. 3 (2).

Status
Not open for further replies.