new user in the KW area

Status
Not open for further replies.

minikeith

Hi All,
I'm on the verge of buying my first scanner and was just planning on getting the Unien bc75xlt. I've been trying to find out as much as I can as this is all new to me. Just wondering if people in the area are able to chime in on whether or not this radio is capable of scanning local railway transmission, police fire etc? From what I've seen it covers the general 160 - 161 grequency range for railroDS, but with it being an analog scanner will I really be able to hear much?? I don't want to have a $125 paper weight.

bigcam406

the 75xlt is just an analogue scanner that scans conventional freq's. the best bet is to check the database for your area to see whats available to scan before purchasing the scanner.

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
If you are wanting to listen to Waterloo Regional Police & Fire you will need an analog scanner capable of EDACS trunking. If you want to listen to OPP you will need a scanner with P25 digital trunking. As far as railroads go, you will be all set with just about any model scanner really.

69stiles

A good choice for Cambridge is the Uniden BCT15XT. Goes for around $200 at Radioworld. You will here All Regional Police, Fire, & Ambulance. The digital version of that (BCT996XT) will add OPP & will cost over $500. Never listened to rail. Is it exciting?

SCPD

QRT
Hi All,
I'm on the verge of buying my first scanner and was just planning on getting the Unien bc75xlt. I've been trying to find out as much as I can as this is all new to me. Just wondering if people in the area are able to chime in on whether or not this radio is capable of scanning local railway transmission, police fire etc? From what I've seen it covers the general 160 - 161 frequency range for railroDS, but with it being an analog scanner will I really be able to hear much?? I don't want to have a $125 paper weight.

Kitchener and Cambridge area hydro is still conventional analog as are the railways, airport, and I think Kitchener fire has an analog dispatch channel but the rest is either MotoTRBO (non-scannable) or EDACS analog trunked but keep in mind in a year or two they are upgrading to Harris P25 digital trunked, not sure if fully encrypted or partially encrypted so you may want to buy a digital scanner, that will also give you the OPP/fleetnet system as well for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.