Queen's University New Radios

Status
Not open for further replies.

alfonzo1955

I recently noticed that Queen's University got new radios. Their 800Mhz SmartNet is no longer active, does anyone know what frequency they switched to? The new radios look digital and I think they are Motorolas.

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
More than likely MotoTRBO. Is their any digital activity on their old frequencies? They may be re-using their existing channels, or they may have migrated elsewhere. Might have to do a little searching around....

alfonzo1955

I looked with my SDR and it doesn't seem like they are using their old frequencies. Maybe they are using Christie Walther or something? I noticed a truck for some radio communications company on campus a few months back but I don't remember the name.

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
It's purely speculation without any details I'm afraid. TAFL doesn't show anything useful so you will have to do it the old fashion way... Search search search!

DaveH

If it's C&W or Glentel it will probably not be on their public systems, more likely a dedicated
one like the old Moto system.

Ironically, my first trunked scanner BC235 was purchsed at a fleamarket in Kingston. It
has been useful for trunking until very recently, as most 800MHz Moto systems have gone
off the air, or will shortly...

Try scanning 422-425, 451-455 and 460-465 for DMR (TRBO) sounds. If you can decode it,
so much the better.

TAFL shows UHF DMR channels for C&W. Glentel has a bunch of licenses, not sure they
do Kingston; not enough time to sort through all of them, though somebody might want to.

In my experience, CloseCall doesn't work for DMR at least on simplex/inputs.

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.