Ontario Parks

Status
Not open for further replies.

VA3DBJ

Ontario Database Admin
Database Admin
Looks like the Provincial Parks are moving from the low band channels to VHF. They are now using, from what it looks like so far, 4 new VHF channels.

MNR is also moving to the VHF as well. With Algonquin Park now using 139.20 and 141.72 at Jake Lake.

DaveH

Looks like the Provincial Parks are moving from the low band channels to VHF. They are now using, from what it looks like so far, 4 new VHF channels.

MNR is also moving to the VHF as well. With Algonquin Park now using 139.20 and 141.72 at Jake Lake.

I think you've missed a few. Some of it is P25. The new frequency pairs are:

149.170/149.605
149.185/149.620
143.460/148.450

Dave

VA3DBJ

Ontario Database Admin
Database Admin
I have been monitoring the new and old and has been quiet. I thought I'd pick something up on the weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
149.605Mhz has been in use at Oastler Lake PP for a few years now.

All the other parks I can hear are still on VHF Lo including Earl Rowe PP which recently installed a new repeater.

About the only other exception to VHF Lo would be Wasaga PP which moved to uhf.

DaveH

This all happening, I would not expect to hear MNR activity anywhere near Ottawa on 149.170/149.605 as MOH PTAC is still alive and active; have heard it several times in recent weeks. (an aside, also heard air ambulance downlink on 413.6875, didn't hear activity for the longest time).

Dave

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber
What is PTAC being used for in Ottawa? Didn't realize it was still alive anywhere in Ontario anymore. The PTAC repeater down this way has been shut down for quite some time.

DaveH

What is PTAC being used for in Ottawa? Didn't realize it was still alive anywhere in Ontario anymore. The PTAC repeater down this way has been shut down for quite some time.

Not too sure, activity comes and goes, may be overflow from Fleetnet when it gets busy, or during maintenance?

Also, checked SD (such that it is) to find this pair IS licensed to Fitzroy PP and Perth for P25 (or so it says); have not heard any sign of this yet. MOH does not show in the records. Would be interesting should they come on at the same time.

It's also been awhile since hearing them on Ottawa EDACS (EMS 1-8).

Another aside (if I may): paramedics around Ottawa have been seen on bikes using old Motorola handhelds, conventional for sure, don't know which channels. First sighting was around Race Weekend in May.

Dave

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber
Its entirely possible that the old PTAC repeater just happens to still be on the air, and they use it.

Doesn't mean its licensed. If that were the case, the Ontario Parks would have priority - IE, MOH would have to stop.

bpsmicro

PTAC is indeed used when there's Fleetnet maintenance going on. I'm rather amazed it's still operational myself. It may very well not be licensed to MOH anymore, but not yet de-programmed from the radios/consoles. If that's the case, and there's another licensed user, I'd expect trouble.

The EDACs TGs are still in some use by Special Operations, but usage is being phased out. They may or may not switch to the new P25 system for Spec Ops at some point, but right now there are no plans to.

The bike medics use Fleetnet system portables. They're not old, they just look like it. :)

mrweather

I'm heading to Grundy Lake Provincial Park this summer. Are they still using lo-band?

mciupa

Database Admin
I'm heading to Grundy Lake Provincial Park this summer. Are they still using lo-band?

TAFL shows this:

Code:
Tx	Rx	Location	Licensee	Details
46.54000	46.54000	GRUNDY LAKE PROVINCIAL PARK ONT ALG	HER MAJESTY THE QUEEN IN RIGHT OF THE PROVINCE OF ONTARIO (GMCB)	
46.76000	46.76000	GRUNDY LAKE PROVINCIAL PARK ONT ALG	HER MAJESTY THE QUEEN IN RIGHT OF THE PROVINCE OF ONTARIO (GMCB)	
149.17000	149.60500	GRUNDY LAKE PROVINCIAL PARK	HER MAJESTY THE QUEEN IN THE RIGHT THE PROVINCE OF ONTARIO (GMCB)	
149.60500	149.17000	GRUNDY LAKE PROVINCIAL PARK	HER MAJESTY THE QUEEN IN THE RIGHT THE PROVINCE OF ONTARIO (GMCB)

Better use headphones. One of the features at the park claims to be "radio-free camping" :roll:

FoeHammer

Premium Subscriber
I used to listen to pinery park rangers on 46.840 I think it was ,..does anyone know if they have switched ? I think Wheatley used that one too ,.. I remember last time I was there several years ago they had vhf freqs listed but were still using low band ,..

mrweather

Better use headphones. One of the features at the park claims to be "radio-free camping" :roll:
Thanks. Yeah, the radio-free isn't park wide just certain campsites.

And for the user asking about Pinery, I was there two years ago and they were still using lo-band. Not much activity other than the odd "garbage can full" or "noise complaint at site XX".

VA3DBJ

Ontario Database Admin
Database Admin
I haven't heard a word from Darlington PP. Planning on taking a trip there on Friday, and see what antennas they have up. If any. Last summer, they were chatting up like crazy. Unless they have gone low power on VHF.

Status
Not open for further replies.