Woodstock Fire

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
Woodstock FD has moved to P25.....and is now encrypted as well. Database has been updated accordingly.

satboy8888

I wouldn't admit to having the Police's key if I were you.
You can read the key ID in dsdplus without possessing the actual key itself... Compare two encrypted transmissions and you'll have a good idea of they might match or not?

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber
To add to that - having a different Key ID doesn't mean the actual key is different. Unlikely, but not impossible.

satboy8888

Agreed but it could be a strong hint if it did match and wasn't a default key ID value

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Muxlow

Super Secret
Not like it matters anyways. Are they using encryption? Yes. Can you listen to them. Yes.. when your in the back of their car going to the station

Any other way to hear fire/police there? Nope. Soo no point in saying this or that because at the end of it all your still in the same boat you are now. Not able to listen in. Game over do not pass go

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
I wonder if they have VRs on the trucks? I can't imagine portable coverage would be all that great in places like the hospital etc.

gary123

I wouldn't admit to having the Police's key if I were you.

I dont have the keys and am not really that interested in the encryption past knowing that different keys are in use. Satboy hit it on the head. I used DSD to look at the KID.

FYI for those interested. There is nothing stopping two depts using the same KID with different keys. The only time there would be a conflict is if they were to be on the same channel or TG. A KID is used to say use this key 1123455667890......123456.

EG

PD
KID 1111 -- key 123412341234......

FD
KID 1111 - key 667766776677......

The above will work fine unless both the FD and the PD are on the same channel or TG at the same time. If they were then the non matching dept will just hear garbage.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Unless it changed since I was there last week... They both used KID=1.

And you would assume that the same radio shop handles both police and fire.

With the same Key ID, the shop would either need two keyloaders or they would have to manually enter in the key every time since the same keyloader can't have two keys with the same algorithm and Key ID. That would be an incredible waste of time and money.

It's really a moot point anyways since we can't listen anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.