New Ottawa P25 system reception

Status
Not open for further replies.

mmisk

There is something strange about the New Ottawa P25 system.

- My 396T receives it ok but voice is not great.

- My PSR 600 is terrible, not really usable, but very good on Fleetnet OPP.

- Ottawa P25 is poor when using DSD, but all other P25 systems are fine, as are NXDN, DMR, and all other P25 systems in the area.

Just wondering what other listeners experience has been with this system.

I realize it is technically a different P25 system.

Thanks, Mike

PriorMike

2 to 3 bars using the stock antenna indoors on my 996T tracking site 1 control channels. Clear and loud audio. I’d have to dig out the 197 to listen; I was using it before I brought the 996 home from the lake for the winter, I don’t remember what it sounded like. OPP P25 is pretty much the same for audio. I have a Diamond RH77 coming so I’m hoping that makes things a bit better.

Even in the car my 325P2 receives the Ottawa P25 signals strong.

Hoping OFS stays in the clear.

Last edited:

mmisk

Thank you PriorMike.

It is strange why it sounds so poor compared to other P25 systems.

At least my good old 396T is readable.
Strange thing is my PSR 600. However is has an early version boot loader that allows it to track Provoice talk groups and this has been very handy.
Do not want to update the bootloader until edacs is finally gone.

Mike

PriorMike

Yeah, the only thing I'd suggest is a firmware update, but you are obviously aware of that. The 996 was good to go when I bought it, and I updated the 197 right away. I haven't had any issues.

DaveH

My PSR600 does OK on the system using indoor antenna. That said, PSR600 is prone to overload, especially on VHF but not great on 800MHz.

Possibly it's the firmware, but could be overload (what kind of antenna?), or multipath. BTW is the new system simulcast (anyone?). I also wonder if having strong CC's 12.5kHz either side (when the CC is on 866.2875, Gatineau's on 866.275 and 866.300) might be a factor; except that CC is not always there.

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.