New to the scene in Windsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fanath

I am looking at getting into the hobby of scanning. I currently have a PRO-29 that was passed down to me from my grandfather. I live in Windsor and it seems like the only things I have been able to pick up is EMS. From what I understand is a lot of services have gone to digital transmission and with the current scanner I am unable to receive them? Looking for suggestions for a digital scanner, also would I be able to pick up EMS/Fire/Police in Detroit from Windsor? Would I need an external antenna for this?

Thank you!

gordiebill

Attn: Fanath

If you're interested, I have a BCD436HP. It has the DMR, Pro-voice and NXDN addons installed. I live in Blenheim which isn't all that far away.

Gord

Last edited by a moderator:

mciupa

If either of you need contact information, I can share if you are in agreement.

mciupa

I'm fine with sharing my information.
Gord

Thanks Gord. The new member is moderated, meaning I have to approve his replies. So, there may be some lag in response.

I'll try and keep on top of it so you both can converse timely, and hopefully you can work something out. :)

ve3fnd

I am looking at getting into the hobby of scanning. I currently have a PRO-29 that was passed down to me from my grandfather. I live in Windsor and it seems like the only things I have been able to pick up is EMS. From what I understand is a lot of services have gone to digital transmission and with the current scanner I am unable to receive them? Looking for suggestions for a digital scanner, also would I be able to pick up EMS/Fire/Police in Detroit from Windsor? Would I need an external antenna for this?

Thank you!

Welcome to Windsor and to the hobby of scanning. I have had a scanner setup in the Windsor area for close to 20 years. Back then you could get everything on the scanner, now there is much less activity. Windsor, LaSalle and Amherstburg emergency services have all gone digital encryption. You can still hear the Essex OPP on 412.8875. As for Detroit even with an indoor antenna you should be able to pick up a good amount of police, fire and EMS, as far as I know they have not gone digital yet. Look up the frequencies in the radio reference database. Also listening to the local Ham radio repeaters can be fun (most should be in the sites database as well).

Hope this helps

Johnny

ve3zo

City of Detroit is in fact all digital.

Welcome to Windsor and to the hobby of scanning. I have had a scanner setup in the Windsor area for close to 20 years. Back then you could get everything on the scanner, now there is much less activity. Windsor, LaSalle and Amherstburg emergency services have all gone digital encryption. You can still hear the Essex OPP on 412.8875. As for Detroit even with an indoor antenna you should be able to pick up a good amount of police, fire and EMS, as far as I know they have not gone digital yet. Look up the frequencies in the radio reference database. Also listening to the local Ham radio repeaters can be fun (most should be in the sites database as well).

Hope this helps

Johnny

Status
Not open for further replies.