Scanner recommendation for Burlington, Ontario

Status
Not open for further replies.

aboye

I'm in the Burlington area and looking to get back into listening to a scanner. What type of scanner should
I consider? Do I need the New Uniden Scanner SDS100? Any advice would be appreciated. Thx

VA3SOM

Premium Subscriber
In Burlington i use a Whistler TRX-1 and 2 and find it the best fit for me and it works well, Burlington has lots of DMR as well as some NXDN conventional stuff and is also covered by provincewide NXDN (OnQue) and a Phase 2 system (Metrolinx).

Any digital scanner should be able to handle the Halton Region system as long as it does P25 but i would try to get one that does DMR and Phase 2 also as Fleetnet 2.0 is in the future.

SDS100 is a good option if you want one that does most things out there currently, although Whistler is coming out with a LSM compatible scanner (similar to what SDS100 offers) soon so depending on the prices you would have options when that happens.

Also nice to have a handheld DMR to monitor Burlington Hydro during outages, that happen too often.

Last edited:

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
In Burlington i use a Whistler TRX-1 and 2 and find it the best fit for me and it works well, Burlington has lots of DMR as well as some NXDN conventional stuff and is also covered by provincewide NXDN (OnQue) and a Phase 2 system (Metrolinx).

Any digital scanner should be able to handle the Halton Region system as long as it does P25 but i would try to get one that does DMR and Phase 2 also as Fleetnet 2.0 is in the future.

SDS100 is a good option if you want one that does most things out there currently, although Whistler is coming out with a LSM compatible scanner (similar to what SDS100 offers) soon so depending on the prices you would have options when that happens.

Also nice to have a handheld DMR to monitor Burlington Hydro during outages, that happen too often.

Yes, any digital scanner will do the job. I lived in Burlington for 10 years and never had issues with Haltons p25 system but it's hit and miss from my new place in the Hammer.

The OPP are very active and Halton Ems is 24/7 busy on Fleetnet.

Burlington Hydro is or was for me, good to listen to. Get one of the DMR scanners if u have a chance or $.

No police activity, encrypted.

aboye

Thanks for all the great advice.

I think I've made my decision to go with the Uniden SDS100. My last scanner was the Uniden Trunk Tracker II

As long as I can receive Burlington/Milton/Oakville Fire Halton Region EMS and OPP.
I should be happy with my purchase.

But always open to hearing any advise to help me better my scanning experience. Thx

Status
Not open for further replies.